The Student Room Group

CAT tests.

I did mine a few weeks ago, and was told today I got an average score of 104?
Apparently this is a really bad score, and means I'm going to get B's in my GCSE's?
I find it pathetic to be honest, because in year 9, last year I achieved an A* in an English GCSE exam, this year have got an A* in Chemisty and Biology too, and in most subjects i'm top of my class, and people who have been achieving D's in most of their subjects got higher CAT scores than me.
What does it exactly mean though?
Reply 1
Original post by Maya2000
Apparently this is a really bad score, and means I'm going to get B's in my GCSE's?
I find it pathetic to be honest, because in year 9, last year I achieved an A* in an English GCSE exam, this year have got an A* in Chemisty and Biology too, and in most subjects i'm top of my class, and people who have been achieving D's in most of their subjects got higher CAT scores than me.

It's meant to b a measure of intelligence. 100 is the national average, 141 is the top score. You normally also get 3 scores that are averaged out to find this verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning and non-vebal reasoning.n However, the score is by no means the be all and end all of things. I've know lots of hardworkers with CATs scores similar to yours do very well and lots of disorganised people with higher scores do not nearly as well as CATs predict. You normally get some little bar charts that show the spread of results achieved by students with your score and this shows that the range of grades achieved is wide.
Reply 2
But before this test I was predicted A*'s in more or less everything bar PE- will this change anything?
I just find it absoloutly crazy that all of a sudden I'm just an average student, when I've been achieving A's and A*'s, and always thought to have been the smartest in our year group (quote from teachers!!). Its not that I'm big headed or anything, perhaps its coming across as I am, but being told I've got so much potential and natural intelligence before, yet now being as smart as any old student is really quite upsetting for me.
Reply 3
But before this test I was predicted A*'s in more or less everything bar PE- will this change anything?

Depends entirely on your school so ask them.
Reply 4
Very late I know but they don't mean much. Target grades will not be based solely on them and they are an indicator.
104 isn't a bad score but if you beyond year 9 it isn't fantastic. I took them in year 7 and without sounding like a total ********, somehow averaged 137-something and got 141 in verbal and non verbal. However a lot of things can go wrong so I wouldn't take your score as accurate.
The test isn't a bad indicator and there's definitely a correlation between very high scores and high GCSEs but it not always true.

Hi Maya,

(appreciate that this post is now 5 years old)

As a current Y10 student at a grammar school, I don't put much by the Y7 CAT tests. Although I'm not sure exactly what my original score was, I know it was in the region of 100. However, I'm currently predicted all 9s in 11 GCSEs, and every teacher wants me to take their subject at A2. For as long as I can remember, there has been "no way I'm not going to Oxbridge." Apart from the Y7 CAT, I've never scored less than 90% in any test (and apologise, as I am sounding immensely arrogant!) and when I got the score, it felt like a bomb dropped on my life. I was actually quite depressed for a while, but I'm glad to say things have improved significantly!

Although all the people in my year who got >135 are doing outstandingly well, I belive that these tests are only an indicator, looking for the prliminary skills examined at GCSE, A-level and beyond. But a lot can happen in the space of 4 years, one day; the CAT tests should serve as nothing more than a potential indicator. I hope, and firmly believe, that you are doing extremely well right now, wherever that may be!

Quick Reply

Latest