The Student Room Group

A level choices help :))

I'm thinking of taking: 1) government and politics 2) economics 3) philosophy and ethics and then I am not sure on my 4th either Law or Italian.
I'm not sure which one because I think languages would just be impossible to get a good grade in but I really want to learn it. I'm interested in law but I'm unsure...
So would you say that all my subjects seem okay, will it be difficult and anyone who does these subjects, do you enjoy them? :smile:
I don't take any of these A-Level subjects but I have friends that do. Based on your other options I would suggest going for law and if you decide you don't like it you can always change courses to italian. If you really enjoy Italian then take it, with any language at A-Level theres a lot of vocab to learn but if you think you can stick with it then go for it :smile:
You don't need Law A-level to do a Law degree, but you need Italian to do an Italian degree.

If you really want to learn it, stick with Italian.
Reply 3
I want to do itailian but the thing that puts me off is that I'm worried I won't get the grades to get into uni.
Reply 4
I do Government and Politics and I love it, but warning some of what you learn can be dull!
I was in a similar predicament as I didn't know whether to take languages at A Level. Originally I was going to take Both French and German but I really wanted to go to Oxford/top universities and after two months of French I realised that I wouldnt be grttingn an A (or at least it would take tremendous effort to do so and a lot of stress). I then decided that I wanted to go to Oxford more than I wanted to learn a language. I dropped french and I'm so glad I did because all my friends that stuck with it were majorly stressed and didn't quite get top grades whereas I got all As. I'd avoid a language if you want to go to a top university and instead take a subject you're more likely to get good grades in. However if you don't care about that and genuinely want to pursue Italian go for it. Although you can easily self teach/get outside lessons of you really want to!
If you've never studied Italian before I wouldn't recommend it, as you stated it is impossible to get a good grade! I did spanish for a level and all the way through year7-11 and it was so so difficult. The grammar gets crazy hard, work load becomes painful and content increases massively. If I had the chance to re do my options believe me spanish would not be one of them!
Reply 7
im about to pick mine too and the key thing is to pick something that YOU want to and something that you enjoy and often helps that youre good at it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Qmwnebrv
I want to do itailian but the thing that puts me off is that I'm worried I won't get the grades to get into uni.

Well, you only need three A-levels to actually get into uni, so if Italian becomes the "fourth subject" that isn't as great, then so be it.

Besides, you will be able to switch your subjects in the first term of sixth form if it really isn't working out.
Reply 9
Original post by SharminaSyeda
If you've never studied Italian before I wouldn't recommend it, as you stated it is impossible to get a good grade! I did spanish for a level and all the way through year7-11 and it was so so difficult. The grammar gets crazy hard, work load becomes painful and content increases massively. If I had the chance to re do my options believe me spanish would not be one of them!

I'm getting a*'s at gcse right now but I'm sure thats nothing at a level lol
I'm thinking of taking: 1) government and politics 2) economics 3) philosophy and ethics and then I am not sure on my 4th either Law or Italian.
I'm not sure which one because I think languages would just be impossible to get a good grade in but I really want to learn it. I'm interested in law but I'm unsure...
So would you say that all my subjects seem okay, will it be difficult and anyone who does these subjects, do you enjoy them? :smile:

If you are interest in learning Italian, so do it! that is the only one what counts. Learning without interesting seems to be senseless - in my opnion. Apart from that your combination in choosing A-levels is very interesting and balanced at the same time. It looks good.
Reply 11
Original post by Kallisto
If you are interest in learning Italian, so do it! that is the only one what counts. Learning without interesting seems to be senseless - in my opnion. Apart from that your combination in choosing A-levels is very interesting and balanced at the same time. It looks good.

See before gcse/ the start, I had a proper interest in art (like italian) but because it require so much more work and dedication than my other subjects (which is probs what i need for a level) I just started to hate it and regret picking it so much. So I'm not sure to take it as to prevent re-living this.
See before gcse/ the start, I had a proper interest in art (like italian) but because it require so much more work and dedication than my other subjects (which is probs what i need for a level) I just started to hate it and regret picking it so much. So I'm not sure to take it as to prevent re-living this.

And how much dedication do you have in law? do you think that you have a great passion to prefer law? be honest.
Reply 13
Original post by Kallisto
And how much dedication do you have in law? do you think that you have a great passion to prefer law? be honest.

I remember facts quite well and the teacher at my sixth form is apparently really good for law so thats where I'm coming from for it.
I remember facts quite well and the teacher at my sixth form is apparently really good for law so thats where I'm coming from for it.

Sounds good. Under these circumstances - and you have explained them in your own words well - I would recommend you to take law and to learn Italian at some point.

Quick Reply

Latest