The Student Room Group

How to work out this equation?

I did a combustion of fuels experiment in class.
The work requires me to
Use the mass from the spirit burner and its calorific value to work out the energy supplied.

The energy stored in the water can be worked out using (see image)

What do I do? Please help me
Its so confusing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iWoof
I did a combustion of fuels experiment in class.
The work requires me to
Use the mass from the spirit burner and its calorific value to work out the energy supplied.

The energy stored in the water can be worked out using (see image)

What do I do? Please help me
Its so confusing

Posted from TSR Mobile

E=mcΔθE = mc \Delta \theta gives the amount of thermal energy transferred to the water. If you know the mass of water, temperature change and specific heat capacity(4.18Jg-1K-1(units might be different depending on subject)), you can work out thermal energy transferred.
Reply 2
No idea why Δθ and not ΔT, no wonder you feel confused.
Original post by Borek
No idea why Δθ and not ΔT, no wonder you feel confused.

Physics uses Δθ\Delta \theta, I think that's where they got it from.
Original post by morgan8002
Physics uses Δθ\Delta \theta, I think that's where they got it from.

Where are you getting that from? T is used universally for temperature. θ is normally used for angles
Original post by langlitz
Where are you getting that from? T is used universally for temperature. θ is normally used for angles

It's in the OCR A-level physics spec, I have come across E=mcΔT E = mc \Delta T in chemistry and I know about common uses of θ\theta, as everyone does

It's not delta theta, it's just theta. It's used for temperature change.
Original post by charco
It's not delta theta, it's just theta. It's used for temperature change.

It is Δθ\Delta \theta delta theta as defined in physics and removes ambiguity in simply using T.

The equation is a statement of the heat energy lost or gained by a mass of given specific heat when subject to a change in temperature.

E = heat energy gained or lost

m = mass

C = specific heat

θ\theta = temperature (θ\theta reserved for Centigrade, T reserved for Kelvin)

Δ\Delta = change in the immediately following variable (θ\theta in this instance or TT in others)

therefore: Δθ=(θinitialθfinal)\Delta \theta = (\theta_{initial} - \theta_{final}) with temperature stated in degrees centigrade.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not true. θ\theta is used for temperature as well as angles, polar co-ordinates and the eighth star in astronomical constellations.
Original post by uberteknik
It is Δθ\Delta \theta delta theta as defined in physics and removes ambiguity in simply using T.

The equation is a statement of the heat energy lost or gained by a mass of given specific heat when subject to a change in temperature.

m = mass

C = specific heat

Δ\Delta = change in the immediately following variable (θ\theta in this instance or TT in others)

therefore: Δθ=(θinitialθfinal)\Delta \theta = (\theta_{initial} - \theta_{final}) with temperature stated in degrees centigrade.

I agree that the strict physics definition uses theta for temperature in Celsius but in common school use it denotes temperature change.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/aqa/heatingandcooling/buildingsrev3.shtml
... and 1 million other references which give the equation as E=mc𝜃
(edited 9 years ago)

m = mass

C = specific heat

Can't think of a formula which uses centigrade tbh. That's just asinine. Use T and use Kelvin
Original post by charco
I agree that the strict physics definition uses theta for temperature in Celsius but in common school use it denotes temperature change.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/aqa/heatingandcooling/buildingsrev3.shtml
... and 1 million other references which give the equation as E=mc

Yeah, bbc bite size GCSE is such a reliable source of scientific data don't you think...
Yeah, bbc bite size GCSE is such a reliable source of scientific data don't you think...

The point is not confusing GCSE students... of which there are a few on this site.
Not true. θ\theta is used for temperature as well as angles, polar co-ordinates and the eighth star in astronomical constellations.

The angles in polar co-ordinates are no different from any other angles.
Original post by morgan8002
The angles in polar co-ordinates are no different from any other angles.
Well, quite.

This was nothing more than to illustrate the different uses for theta in science disciplines including chemistry, physics, astronomy and engineering - all of them based in the language of mathematics but not all meaning the same thing.

Quick Reply

Latest