The Student Room Group

Need advice after failing degree.

A few years ago I failed my degree after completing the course and finished with about 210 credits. Shortly after the start of my 2nd year in university I developed a severe anxiety disorder which resulted in a brief stay in hospital and me being prescribed tranquilisers and seeing various consultants and trying multiple antidepressants.

I informed the uni of this yet nothing much happened, I was advised not to intercalate by the department head, and was given very little support from the department, the mental health nurse pretty much abandoned me when the CBT course started. I was given a few extensions and allowed to retake exams without penalty so clearly they recognised I had a health problem yet allowed me to continue into the 3rd year despite my 2nd year results indicating that I would not realistically be able to pass.

After I failed my degree I was told that in the future I could attend the uni lectures part time but not the workshops to finish my degree in the future. Now after an improvement in my health I recently contacted the university and was told they could not readmit me because I completed the course.

I feel that the attitude displayed by the university is terrible, they have effectively screwed me out of 5k in tuition fees for a degree I could not realistically complete and I will be seeking legal action if the university cannot act in an appropriate manner within a short time period.

Has anyone here been in a similar situation? Does anyone have any advice for me on what actions to take next with regard to the university?
Transfer your credits to a online degree. Finish it at home at your own pace. Will cost you less and you won't have to deal with the rubbish which prejudice people throw at you.
Reply 2
I am prepared to do that, though it seems I will lose some credits. But I am still in a situation where this university deceived me to the tune of extracting £5,000 from me, which will now have to be spent at another institution to complete the degree. I should be compensated for their behaviour to bring me back to the financial situation I was in before they screwed me.
Don't hold your breath.
Can you afford the legal fees pursuing it?
Reply 4
We're talking small claims here in a county court, been there done that before, legal fees are pretty minor. But yeah I work a job in the field, more than what their average graduates were earning ironically enough.
If you lose you now pay punitive costs though, coz all the fees doubled last May.
That could cost you around £700.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
You don't pay punitive fees simply for losing a case in civil court.

Quick Reply

Latest