The Student Room Group

logical positivism is self-refuting

I hear this claim frequently, for those of you who are familiar with the movement do you share my hatred of this claim? Quite clearly logical positivism is an axiom! It's a starting point for reason ergo doesn't have to be proven... -.-
Yes. It's silly. If logical positivism is self-refuting for that reason then everything is or at least could be.
I wouldn't say that logical positivism is an axiom (a premise so evident as to be accepted as true without controversy).

And, TorpidPhil- everything can be self refuting any time it allows itself to be or gains the negative impression from others of being.

Something described as an egg cup might instead have been originally designed to be a drinking vessel.

Just because someone labels something or someone according to a chosen function that they have displayed themselves to be able to do, doesn't mean that is the ideal thing for that thing to be- either in its own opinion or 'objectively'.

It is the callous nature of how the universe operates that, what I see as a wise venerable man, some others might write off as being a 'doddery old codger'. And no matter how much I might protect my own- and hopefully his own - definition of him, it might still evaporate on exposure to the harsh light of 'reality'- where reality is a consensus of the majority as to what they choose to respect on an 'everyday' basis (what is natural to their own personality) as opposed to merely on a 'ceremonial' basis (out of duty that might be alien to them).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nogoodsorgods
I wouldn't say that logical positivism is an axiom (a premise so evident as to be accepted as true without controversy).

And, TorpidPhil- everything can be self refuting any time it allows itself to be or gains the negative impression from others of being.

Something described as an egg cup might instead have been originally designed to be a drinking vessel.

Just because someone labels something or someone according to a chosen function that they have displayed themselves to be able to do, doesn't mean that is the ideal thing for that thing to be- either in its own opinion or 'objectively'.

It is the callous nature of how the universe operates that, what I see as a wise venerable man, some others might write off as being a 'doddery old codger'. And no matter how much I might protect my own- and hopefully his own - definition of him, it might still evaporate on exposure to the harsh light of 'reality'- where reality is a consensus of the majority as to what they choose to respect on an 'everyday' basis (what is natural to their own personality) as opposed to merely on a 'ceremonial' basis (out of duty that might be alien to them).

I wouldn't agree with your definition of an axiom. Mathematical and logical axioms that we've been using for centuries are certainly not obviously true and I think are wrong. Axioms are just starting points - assumptions that we have to make in order to allow ourselves to have any knowledge at all.

Reality is indifferent to human consensus too. It doesn't matter if most people think electrons exist. If electrons don't exist, then they don't exist.
Reply 4
Original post by branflakes yolo
I hear this claim frequently, for those of you who are familiar with the movement do you share my hatred of this claim? Quite clearly logical positivism is an axiom! It's a starting point for reason ergo doesn't have to be proven... -.-

Logical positivism was thrown out decades ago. It was thrown out because it IS self-refuting. Logical Positivism was debunked by Gödel´s Incompleteness Theorem.
LP says that anything that cannot be experimentally verified or mathematically proven is invalid. So is that statement itself expermientally verifiable? Nope.

Godel’s Incompleteness Theorem basically says that any system that is complex enough to express mathematics cannot prove, by itself, that everything it says is true. It will always rely on something outside the system that you have to assume is true but cannot prove.

- If the universe is illogical and inconsistent then it is possible for it to be complete.
- If the universe is logical and consistent then it is incomplete.
- If the universe is incomplete, then it depends on something on the outside.

Ergo - if the laws of mathematics and logic apply to the universe, then the universe has to have a metaphysical source.

Atheism can only be true if the universe is irrational. There goes atheism right out the window into the trash bin of dumb ideas.

Your hatred of the claim is nothiing less than proof of your hatred of truth.
Reply 5
This thread is like real life philosophy.

Old and irrelevant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending