The Student Room Group

Not made much friends at uni

Hi
Im at my first year at university, just came home for my christmas break.
Firstly i dont really like my flatmates, theres 6 of us all girls. They all drink and i dont and they are all very boring they dont really get involved with the university and the events going on. At first i spent a lot of time with them but i didnt really like them but the last few weeks before christmas i stopped talking to them that much and spent more time in my room. I just figured that id rather spend time with other people or do my work. My flatmates dont know that i dont like them. Also we dont have a tv in halls so it gets really boring in the evenings. When i go out to for example a social my flat always ask why do you not spend time with us anymore. Im not living witht them next year (they are all getting a house together). I might live in halls or get a room in a house with new people (through ads).
There is not a lot of people on my course only around 30 and they are not very nice.
I just feel like i need to meet more people.
I have joined a sport which i do every week and enjoy going on their socials. I might join another society after the break.
Reply 1
You're in your first year.

It's ok, most people just tolerate others in their first year but call them 'friends' and eventually all fall out over something stupid like a hair straightener (true story).

Join some societies, I know it's difficult to commit but go for it and you'll meet really nice people that are in the same situation as you. Sure there will be some difficult people too, but give it a go.
Reply 2
Original post by Mimir
You're in your first year.

It's ok, most people just tolerate others in their first year but call them 'friends' and eventually all fall out over something stupid like a hair straightener (true story).

Join some societies, I know it's difficult to commit but go for it and you'll meet really nice people that are in the same situation as you. Sure there will be some difficult people too, but give it a go.

I wouldn't worry too much. Just focus on your course, and enjoying yourself with any societies you like. Friends will come, but so will acquaintances. When you thinking about it, nobody really has that many 'real' friends in life. Sometimes you have to just put yourself out there and leave your comfort zone and make that extra effort with people. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't, but don't let that get you down. Try speaking EVERYBODY, just with an open mind and listen to what they have to say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending