The Student Room Group

to become a drama youth worker??

I've studied btec national diploma in Performing arts many years ago and after dealing with family life I've now decided I want to go into some form of teaching or use my drama skills to help young people. Any suggestions on what my next step should be to do that. I don't have time for university but I've been researching online courses which are available
Help Plsss. ..
Original post by shinelle
I've studied btec national diploma in Performing arts many years ago and after dealing with family life I've now decided I want to go into some form of teaching or use my drama skills to help young people. Any suggestions on what my next step should be to do that. I don't have time for university but I've been researching online courses which are available
Help Plsss. ..

Do you really need to take any steps ore than to just apply for a job within this sector? drama is pointless

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Spacey Sprocket
Do you really need to take any steps ore than to just apply for a job within this sector? drama is pointless

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you the #StemMasterRace leader
Reply 3
Original post by AdamCee
Are you the #StemMasterRace leader

Lol, "pointless"?!
I want to work with "troubled" young people and drama is a good way to express yourself be it acting, or dancing and you'll find majority of young people enjoy performing arts.....meanin a way of acting out their scenario.....i guess a sort of councilling
Does that enlighten you of what I'm trying to get at?
Mayb it's not extra qualifications in Drama I need, but maybe sum kind of social studies/councilling
What will qualify me to be a drama youth worker?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by shinelle
Lol, "pointless"?!
I want to work with "troubled" young people and drama is a good way to express yourself be it acting, or dancing and you'll find majority of young people enjoy performing arts.....meanin a way of acting out their scenario.....i guess a sort of councilling
Does that enlighten you of what I'm trying to get at?

I wasn't the one that said it was pointless. I was talking to the guy that said it :P

Yeah I do understand what you're getting at but I'm afraid I don't really know how to help, my post was just a reply to the other person, sorry
Reply 5
You have a few options really -

1) Keep a look out on Arts Jobs and other relevant websites, there have been quite a few opportunities recently for internships/apprenticeships using drama/theatre to work with young people.
2) Enquire at all your local theatre companies, a lot of the bigger ones have education departments and some just focus on working in education and with young people etc.
3) Do you have an experience in leading workshops etc. through college? It may be worth then asking local schools if you can run workshops skill sharing etc.
4) There are a few degrees depending on the specific avenue you wish to take, but that's something you would need to research for yourself. Have a look at courses such as Applied Performance/Theatre/Drama, Community Theatre/Drama & Drama Therapy etc.

Keep widening your skills base and knowledge, it's not easy to have a career in any drama/theatre related discipline. The more you can offer the better, volunteer whilst at college...e.g. scouts or other young people organisations...if you can get experience working with those with disabilities....do it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending