The Student Room Group

Got in an argument with my GF about my dying aunt? Am I wrong to want my uncle to see

My aunt is in the last period of her fight against lung cancer ... she's extremely ill, and according to my who is a doctor, she doesn't have much time left. I've been only able to see her once every 2 weeks due to being in another city at University, so you can only imagine how hard psychologically it is for me, and indeed the rest of our family.

My aunt and uncle have been on very bad terms for the last 20 odd years, and my mum, who is caught in the middle, is finding it particularly difficult.

I wanted to bring them both together one last time.

I talked about it with my GF one night and we got into a pretty volatile argument. She told me that because my aunt didn't want to see him, and that he didn't want to see her, I shouldn't be meddling with it at all - but I find it ridiculous.

She told me I should just respect my aunt's wishes and move on with it.

I feel as if she's right in a sense, but I couldn't imagine not wanting to talk to my dying sister or brother, even if we were on bad terms.

Am I wrong for wanting to be "God's advocate"? Or is my GF right, should I leave it be?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
My aunt is in the last period of her fight against lung cancer ... she's extremely ill, and according to my who is a doctor, she doesn't have much time left. I've been only able to see her once every 2 weeks due to being in another city at University, so you can only imagine how hard psychologically it is for me, and indeed the rest of our family.

My aunt and uncle have been on very bad terms for the last 20 odd years, and my mum, who is caught in the middle, is finding it particularly difficult.

I wanted to bring them both together one last time.

I talked about it with my GF one night and we got into a pretty volatile argument. She told me that because my aunt didn't want to see him, and that he didn't want to see her, I shouldn't be meddling with it at all - but I find it ridiculous.

She told me I should just respect my aunt's wishes and move on with it.

I feel as if she's right in a sense, but I couldn't imagine not wanting to talk to my dying sister or brother, even if we were on bad terms.

Am I wrong for wanting to be "God's advocate"? Or is my GF right, should I leave it be?

I can see where you're coming from, but I do think your girlfriend is right. If both people, especially your auntie, do not want to see each other, if you do end up finding a way to get them together it will probably not be a happy time for either of them, and probably not something she wants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending