The Student Room Group

I keep falling for my friends

I've always found it hard to get into relationships. I tend to 'friend-zone' those that I really like, and not intentionally either. It's happened 3 times now. I'll be friends with them and despite knowing I am no more than a friend to this person I seem to develop feelings for them beyond friendship further down the line (maybe a few months to a year later). It probably sounds like I do this habitually or on purpose but I can assure you otherwise, I haven't been able to help who I've fallen for. As soon as I have gotten these feelings I have asked them out and each time I have got the 'I don't see you as any more than a friend' response, as you would expect. The last one has actually wrecked a really good friendship, we don't talk anymore and it has down-right depressed me because I want to talk to her still. I've had ro distance myself (even though she is trying to stay in touch with me as a friend) because she got herself a boyfriend soon after rejecting me and I'm still jealous to be honest. This was 6 months ago as well.

My question to you guys is to ask if anyone has been in/ is currently in a relationship that stemmed from a good friendship? Is my behaviour abmnormal? My experiences to date have not only confused me but have depressed me, I don;t feel like I'm ever going to get a good realtionship if this is how my feelings seem to operate

FYI, I have plenty of female friends and its not like im actively trying to get with them! I totally understand the advice, 'if you want more than a friendship with someone don't become their best friend' I have had a couple of relationships with people I've dated as love interests, but neither has really lasted or been meaningful.
I also keep falling for friends, but unlike you I just never tell them. I did once, because I knew that he liked me back, and we tried for a while, but eventually we just gave up. And it took quite some time before we went back to being friends.

I have the same issue right now, but this time I know that he HAS liked me, and I think that he doesn't any more. So I am just going to keep shut about it, because I am moving to an other city in like a 20 days so.

But I really think that the best relationships can come out of falling in love with a friend.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I have the same issue right now, but this time I know that he HAS liked me, and I think that he doesn't any more. So I am just going to keep shut about it, because I am moving to an other city in like a 20 days so.

I've always asked them out because I have just had to take the chance that they might like me back. It's torture hanging out with someone you really care for and watching them live their life and chatting to other guys (or girls, in your case) when there's that chance you could be with them yourself. So if you're moving anyway in 20 days then what are you waiting for?! If he says no then at least you will know and you won't have anything to regret after you move, and I guess you won't have to see him if it becomes awkward. If you know he's definitely liked you in the past then there's a good chance he would be willing to give it a go.
anon is v strong in here.
Reply 4
Original post by sebotobes
anon is v strong in here.

Looooool yhis made my day xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply