The Student Room Group

What can First Year Students do?

Hi :smile:
Im an undergraduate in my first year studying Economics and was wondering what first years can do to increase their employability. Im hoping to complete the Bloomberg BESS test and BAT, and am enrolled on a employability programme held by uni where we work with other first years on a given project and create a report and presentation for it. I have tried to apply for spring and summer internships but they require you to be in your second year if you are doing a 4-year course (which i am, with a year in industry). I am considering taking the CFAB as its £20 for Uni students, but not sure as to whether its useful. Any other tips?
Original post by Econ1906
Hi :smile:
Im an undergraduate in my first year studying Economics and was wondering what first years can do to increase their employability. Im hoping to complete the Bloomberg BESS test and BAT, and am enrolled on a employability programme held by uni where we work with other first years on a given project and create a report and presentation for it. I have tried to apply for spring and summer internships but they require you to be in your second year if you are doing a 4-year course (which i am, with a year in industry). I am considering taking the CFAB as its £20 for Uni students, but not sure as to whether its useful. Any other tips?

What kind of employment do you want?
Reply 2
Original post by Hedgeman49
What kind of employment do you want?
Finance. My main career goal is a Financial Analyst
Original post by Econ1906
Finance. My main career goal is a Financial Analyst

You probably want to be in the IB&C subforum as this one is pretty much exclusively accountants, auditors and a few actuaries.

Out of interest, why are you so determined on being a financial analyst so early on? Have you done your research? Not a criticism, just don't want you to pigeonhole yourself now and regret it by the time you graduate.
Reply 4
Original post by Hedgeman49
You probably want to be in the IB&C subforum as this one is pretty much exclusively accountants, auditors and a few actuaries.

Out of interest, why are you so determined on being a financial analyst so early on? Have you done your research? Not a criticism, just don't want you to pigeonhole yourself now and regret it by the time you graduate.
Ive done my research, and am aware it takes time esp for the three levels of examinations as well as work experience, so its something Im aiming for in the long term, but following graduation, Im hoping for any role in finance. particularly analyst, im researching for analyst placements as well right now as my course is a sandwich course.
But yeah to summarise, its something I want to achieve long term, but my career goal is within finance. Plus ive noticed where quite a few job vacancy descriptions for financial analysts ask for accountants, so thought I`d post here as to what I could do in relation to that.
Reply 5
Hey mate,

Not to try and put you off - but which university are you studying at? If it's not a target university then getting into investment banking / investment management will be seriously tough (not impossible).

That said - as a first year there is lots of ground work you should be doing. First off is having a look at insight days / weeks and going to as many as you can. These give you a good insight to the industry, a chance to network as well as something to put on your application forms.

It seems like you're pretty keen on doing a qualification. Have a look at the IMC - it gives a good foundation on the markets and regulation, doesn't cost too much and is reasonably well respected (run by the CFA).

To be honest the main thing at this stage should be focusing on getting top grades and getting involved in extra curricular stuff / societies (thing investment banking society, trading society etc). The fact that you're looking for options at this stage is great and that kind of attitude will serve you well in the future.

The last thing I would say is don't assume that because the internship form says "penultimate year students" that they don't consider students of lower years. I know of some firms that make exceptions for strong candidates. It's worth emailing some HR departments and worst case scenario they say no or point you towards an insight event to go to.

Good luck
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mickk
Hey mate,

Not to try and put you off - but which university are you studying at? If it's not a target university then getting into investment banking / investment management will be seriously tough (not impossible).

That said - as a first year there is lots of ground work you should be doing. First off is having a look at insight days / weeks and going to as many as you can. These give you a good insight to the industry, a chance to network as well as something to put on your application forms.

It seems like you're pretty keen on doing a qualification. Have a look at the IMC - it gives a good foundation on the markets and regulation, doesn't cost too much and is reasonably well respected (run by the CFA).

To be honest the main thing at this stage should be focusing on getting top grades and getting involved in extra curricular stuff / societies (thing investment banking society, trading society etc). The fact that you're looking for options at this stage is great and that kind of attitude will serve you well in the future.

The last thing I would say is don't assume that because the internship form says "penultimate year students" that they don't consider students of lower years. I know of some firms that make exceptions for strong candidates. It's worth emailing some HR departments and worst case scenario they say no or point you towards an insight event to go to.

Good luck

Don't really think he mentioned investment banking, he was probably referring more to corporate finance (hence financial analyst) at a large F500 or FTSE100 company. They don't have the same cutthroat requirements as the IBs or Investment firms do.
Reply 7
Original post by Princepieman
Don't really think he mentioned investment banking, he was probably referring more to corporate finance (hence financial analyst) at a large F500 or FTSE100 company. They don't have the same cutthroat requirements as the IBs or Investment firms do.

Financial Analyst I would usually associate with IB or IM - same with the BAT. Then again I didn't notice where you mentioned the CFAB, so apologies if I made some assumptions.

The principles still apply though, minus the part about coming from a target university. Try and get involved in the running of an accounting or finance society and show interest in a few of the major firms in your sector via insight days or talent academies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending