The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
No one? Ah well...
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Hey, I am doing electives in history. I am a classical civ student though. the history elective i have this year is called empires of the ancient med. and its fantastic really good. the uni is ace, the nights out are good. just hope you live with people you like :smile:
Hi there
I'm in my first year doing English single honours and I'm living in Devonshire Halls which is about a 10-15 min walk from uni.
I have to admit- freshers' week was a big let down simply because there was soooo much on and really hard to find somewhere you could move about in. The events at the union were fairly **** and over-priced so my advice for that week is go out and explore yourself rather than follow the flock of sheep into the union every night!
As far as my course is concerned- I'm enjoying it although I've got an insane amount of work already and obviously lots and lots of reading (which I'm already behind with!)
I love my halls despite there being a huge abundance of raahs! We definitely have the best halls here- not too far from uni, really safe, loads going on and my block is great. I'm self-catered, sharing a flat with 3 other girls who I really get on with (none of whom are 'rahs' hehe)
Overall, I'm really impressed with how student-friendly Leeds is. Everything is orientated around the students and you'll never ever have trouble finding somewhere to eat/drink/party or just to simply read and study!
So yeah- come to Leeds! :smile:
Hope that marginally helped...
i love leeds.

but yeah don't go to the union in the first 2 weeks unless you like spending half an hour and upwards getting a drink.
Reply 5
squirrel_commander
i love leeds.

but yeah don't go to the union in the first 2 weeks unless you like spending half an hour and upwards getting a drink.

......and then payin like a fiver for a drink! :mad:
Thanks for the replies, I'm glad to hear its going well! I'm really looking forward to starting. I had to take a gap year to make some money though, lol.

Emily - thats really cool that you like the history module you're taking! The department seemed really good/friendly when I visited. How is the work load? And is it a lot harder than a-level, or not that different? (I'm assuming you took history a-level...)

Devonshire does look like a good place, I think it will be my first choice accomidation. Either there or James Baillie.

Yeah I got the impression that nights in the city would be a lot better than nights at the Union. I suppose everyone just thinks of it as the easiest place to go, so just goes along for the sake of it. :dontknow:
Podge
......and then payin like a fiver for a drink! :mad:

The drinks in the shops aren't too badly priced..? Unless you mean the bars, but the Old Bar is pretty cheap too.
The Terrace is pretty cheap too, I've never found the Union to be anything but reasonably priced to be honest.
Reply 9
guitarromantic
The drinks in the shops aren't too badly priced..? Unless you mean the bars, but the Old Bar is pretty cheap too.

yeah the shops arent bad.....but i think it was Stylus, or the one next to that....i was quite drunk at the time.... it was something like £3.50 for a red bull n vodka...but i dont even think it was red bulll, it was RedRooster

if you go to a gig in the refectory...be prepared to pay! or just do what i did....ask for a large on n stare at the guy till its full to the brim and smile!
Haha, I'm trying not to be cynical, but what's this?! Overpriced drinks in crappy bars?! Scandal!! Seriously, these are like the places that charge you entry to go in. What? Isn't the money they're raking in from drinks sales enough? Unless I'm seeing a band or something I won't go anywhere that charges an entrance fee. It's almost literally free money for the club.
Podge

if you go to a gig in the refectory...be prepared to pay! or just do what i did....ask for a large on n stare at the guy till its full to the brim and smile!

double vodka red bull and a pint of carling was over £7. crazyyy
guitarromantic
Haha, I'm trying not to be cynical, but what's this?! Overpriced drinks in crappy bars?! Scandal!! Seriously, these are like the places that charge you entry to go in. What? Isn't the money they're raking in from drinks sales enough? Unless I'm seeing a band or something I won't go anywhere that charges an entrance fee. It's almost literally free money for the club.

Well there are some of us who go to clubs and DON'T drink. Scandalous, eh?
Reply 13
Snorbuckle

i damn well refuse to believe it.
Snorbuckle

Not really, I don't drink. But I just don't like the music/type of people (talking generally) who go to those places so I just avoid them generally.
Reply 15
I think the union does alright, there's usually offers on certain spirits and mixers, one type of beer and a bottled alcopop, you just have to choose the right stuff. Students, we can't afford to be picky! If you start goin for the drinks that are expensive in most places you should expect to pay more, they can't seriously be cheap on everything. The other thing is I think the uni charges differently depending on whats going on there, but stylus is generally more expensive cos its the club. Last time I went there they were doing the same offers as the rest of the union though.
It's all about going to The Terrace bar first, getting the drinks in you and THEN going downstairs to Stylus...The Terrace's prices have never striked me as dear at all!

Latest