The Student Room Group

I'm having a pregnancy scare

Me and my boyfriend don't use any contraception whatsoever, and he finishes inside me, which I know isn't the smartest of ideas. We had sex three days before my estimated ovulation date and the day after the estimated ovulation date.

The only doubts I have is my periods are extremely irregular and I never know when the next one is going to come. Today is 32 days into my cycle, my longest ever being 34 days. I also had unprotected, regular sex with a previous partner for two years and I never got pregnant. His fertility is fine. I never have signs of ovulation. I don't know why, but part of me believes I am completely infertile.

But the other part of me is panicking that my period is late and I had unprotected sex around ovulation time. I'm terrified to take a test in case it comes out positive. I once got a false positive on a test and I have to say, I have never felt worse in my whole life. I didn't even want to live anymore. I was devastated.

Anyone been through this before who can share their experience? I haven't told my boyfriend, or anyone, and it's driving me crazy? Is it okay to confide in him because I don't want to worry him too?
First thing, take a pregnancy test or see a doctor and have them take one. Not knowing won't help either way

Second thing: See a doctor and have your irregular periods investigated. It might be treatable, it might be something that means you can't get pregnant if you want to in future. Its probably better to know.

Third: Get an STI test since you've had unprotected sex with more than one person and get your contraception sorted. Start taking some responsibility.
Reply 2
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
First thing, take a pregnancy test or see a doctor and have them take one. Not knowing won't help either way

Second thing: See a doctor and have your irregular periods investigated. It might be treatable, it might be something that means you can't get pregnant if you want to in future. Its probably better to know.

Third: Get an STI test since you've had unprotected sex with more than one person and get your contraception sorted. Start taking some responsibility.

Thank you. I guess I'll just have to test and get it over with. I was considering going to the doctors about my irregular periods but I thought they would be reluctant on spending money to test my fertility when I am not currently trying to conceive. I've been tested before I got with my current partner and came back clean and I have just assumed he is too (:/). I was also considering contraception but since I'm kinda convinced I'm infertile, I thought what's the point. I had the depo shot a few years back which was a huge factor in making my periods irregular. Before I had the shot, I was like clockwork and could also tell when I was ovulating pretty much every month. Since the shot, I get no signs of ovulation whatsoever. So that's why I am a bit put off manipulating my hormones.

Apart from believing I am infertile, I am rightly so worried that I am pregnant.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you. I guess I'll just have to test and get it over with. I was considering going to the doctors about my irregular periods but I thought they would be reluctant on spending money to test my fertility when I am not currently trying to conceive. I've been tested before I got with my current partner and came back clean and I have just assumed he is too (:/). I was also considering contraception but since I'm kinda convinced I'm infertile, I thought what's the point. I had the depo shot a few years back which was a huge factor in making my periods irregular. Before I had the shot, I was like clockwork and could also tell when I was ovulating pretty much every month. Since the shot, I get no signs of ovulation whatsoever. So that's why I am a bit put off manipulating my hormones.

Apart from believing I am infertile, I am rightly so worried that I am pregnant.

If the depo shot has affected your cycles long term, that needs looking into. You need to go to the doctor and insist its checked. Doctors can sometimes be reluctant, but if you're insistant, and keep going back, they will treat you. They have to. Its not just your fertility to consider, hormone imbalances can affect your health in other ways too.

You can't assume just because you have no "signs of ovulation" you're not oulating, plenty of women show no obvious signs of ovulation and your cycle and symptoms can change over time due to various factors (including hormonal contraception). IF you are currently infertile (which you CANNOT just assume without getting checked) it might be something thats easily treated if found early, but not so much if it too late which it might be if/when you DO want to concieve) Its understandable that you don't want to use artificial hormones if you've had a bad experiences, but there are lots of options with contraception and they affect everyone differently, the contraceptive injection is almost notoriously problematic for some. Theres also the option of non hormonal long term contraception such as the copper coil, and of course, there are always condoms.

Its not just your sexual health that you need to be thinking about and taking responsibility for. Its your overall health. See your doctor and get it sorted out!

My advice. Assuming your not pregnant (if you are obviously deal with that however you choose)
Start using condoms to avoid another scare like this in the shorter term!!
Think about getting yourself and your partner tested for STIs
Get your irregular periods checked out. Don't be fobbed off with the pill to regulate them, tell your doctor you want to know why they're so irregular and why the injection seems to have triggered this long term issue thats still going on after all this time.
Based on the results and treatment for that, sort out longer term contraceptive options!!
Generally show some more care and responsibility towards your health and body. I really hope this is the wake up call you need.
(edited 9 years ago)
I really am going to have 'what Kabloomybuzz said' on a macro key :smile:

With luck, this scare will be just that, but if so use it and how you're feeling now to help ensure that there aren't others... and not just ones around pregnancy.
Reply 5
If you don't want to get pregnant then why are you having sex without using any contraception? I can understand not wanting to mess with your hormones but there's options such as the copper coil and condoms. One of my friends said she didn't ovulate for over two years after finishing depo; she's gone on to have children since. I agree its worth a trip to your doctor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Turns out I am pregnant.

Thanks for the advice anyway guys.
Good luck, what ever you decide to do.
How on earth can you expect to not get pregnant when you're constantly having unprotected sex?

I hope for that baby's sake, that you're going to take this pregnancy somewhat more seriously than your contraceptive measures.

Good luck, if you're struggling emotionally, you can get help all over the shop these days. Just because you've made a mistake, doesn't mean you must face the consequences alone.

Spoiler

Well to tell you the truth, it was only a matter of time before you got pregnant. So what are you going to do now?
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Well to tell you the truth, it was only a matter of time before you got pregnant. So what are you going to do now?

We've decided to have an abortion
Original post by Anonymous
We've decided to have an abortion

I suggest you think long and hard about your contraceptive methods in the future to avoid this happening again.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I suggest you think long and hard about your contraceptive methods in the future to avoid this happening again.

Clearly. I'm not taking this situation lightly.

Quick Reply

Latest