The Student Room Group

There will always be rapists so women should take precautionary measures

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDec
I don't blame the victim.

I blame;

1) The person who committed the act

2) The parents for not supervising their child or for not teaching them not to talk to strangers and especially not follow them into a van.

so why blame a rape victim?
Original post by GeorgeBuxey94
Do you blame the victim though? 'Oh that kid was asking for it when he followed that man into the windowless van for sweets'.

If they fail to take reasonable precautions I partake in what is referred to by some as "victim blaming" reasonable: drink reasonably, don't get totally ****faced; unreasonable: don't drink at all; reasonable: if possible, try to stay with at least one other person you know [and trust], preferably more and preferably people drinking sensibly; unreasonable: Don't go out in the first place (although not necessarily unreasonable)
Do you blame the victim though? 'Oh that kid was asking for it when he followed that man into the windowless van for sweets'.

Children are usually considered too young to know better. But to use your example, if a man were to go out and get ridiculously drunk, pass out and wake up to find his wallet missing most people would say he was stupid to behave in that way (no one's ever asking for crime and that terminology is inappropriate - they just didn't protect themselves from risk).
Or, for the drug example - if someone were to offer a student drugs at a party and they took them and something happened to them, they are certainly to blame as they ingested them - but that example is inappopriate, as it was a choice unlike getting raped or robbed or murdered.

Here is a better question, do you think that people should take precautionary measures to reduce the chance of them becoming a victim? It is a simple yes or no.
Reply 24
Women will always be around. Men should be taught not to rape, not for women to protect themselves. Attack the problem at the root. Believing in stopping rape isnt a feminist thought, it's a human thought. Pretty rational imo. Feminism IS needed because a lot of guys and even girls are quick to dismiss it as just an 'over exaggerated, little girls problem' which is precisely the problem with our phallocentric society. If a woman ever fights for her right or equality, its just shunned as child-like, or a total PMS thing. That is why society ISNT equal, and why such bigoted ideas such as 'accept rape because it just happens' are allowed to flourish.

I AM A MAN AND I NEED FEMINISM BECAUSE THE FEMINIST IS STILL THE PERSON TO BLAME.

teach men not to rape?
attack the problem at the root?

I could be a little out of touch here but would you mind telling me where men are getting taught to rape? or that rape is ok?

i mean how do you stop other crimes?
is every thief taught to steal?
is every thug taught to assault?
is every mugger taught to rob?
is every murder taught to murder?

if simply attacking the route at the problem was so simple then do you not think it would have been done?

are you expecting some sort of social services intervention?

i think maybe you have overly high expectations of our care system.

parents can be pretty bad. because the care system is still worse and more damaging to the child.

or are you proposing that this intervention and teaching takes place later?

or perhaps not teaching but just a witch hunter like organization that crucifies people over what may or may not be deemed a contribution to rape culture.

you realize rape is a crime? is there any crime that we've managed to prevent?

rape is a problem.

but talking about rape culture is making some sort of vague lash out at the rest of normal society claiming its not good enough.

you ask why womens issues are shunned. they are not. certain womens issues are shunned. because certain women propagate unsubstantiated claims about rape culture. which they cannot argue for or against because theyve stolen the idea from someone else. so instead they use smear terms like misogynist and pro rape or MRA to declare anyone who questions their theories as.

also a lot of these feminists are moronic. they are like the EDL and have similar level of intelligence.

only the EDL has done more to highlight rape and corruption than any feminist group has. pretty shameful really.

also. you don't know what feminism is.

I don't think anybody really blames the victim.

However if you walk through a dodgy part of town at 2 in the morning on your own, drunk, talking loudly on your iphone about how you have £200 in youe pocket and you get mugged, then you have acted irresponisbly and not taken basic precautions. Similarly if someone gets raped it can be legitimate to say that they didn't take certain basic precautions (of course you don't say this to them, that's just insensitive).

Victim blaming only seems to be mentioned when the crime is rape, not any others.
Here is a better question, do you think that people should take precautionary measures to reduce the chance of them becoming a victim? It is a simple yes or no.

Good question. I wonder why nobody has answered it?
Original post by caravaggio2
Good question. I wonder why nobody has answered it?

Everybody knows the correct answer, but it will undermine their "victim blaming" rhetoric.

How many of the people who scream victim blaming lock their homes so they don't get robbed?

My guess is all of them.
Original post by AdamCee
"How not to be stolen from guide"
1) Lock your door
2) Don't give your keys to strangers
3) Close your windows when you go on holiday

Yeah, of course it should be taught. You might say it's common sense, but maybe it isn't.

Isn't it common sense not to rape people?
Original post by Viceroy

Not everyone has common sense or even morals.
Original post by Viceroy

What do you mean common sense?

Rapist know that they act will hurt/have a lot of negative effect on their victims but they simply don't care or simply love it even more knowing that they victim will be destroyed.

Rapist are scum of the earth- simple as that.

They also know there is a good chance they will get away with it if they are careful as well.
Given that we know the risks of Islamic terrorism do you agree that Western countries are at least partly to blame for inviting terrorism if they support wars in Middle Eastern countries?
Rape is still obviously 100% the fault of the perpetrator but try and not give them the opportunity to do it- though this is sometimes hard to do.
I think, to a reasonable extent, women can take some precautions. For example:

* When out in a club/pub etc, watch your drink.
* Return home with a friend or at least use a licensed taxi.
* If you're going to get very drunk, have a trusted support network around you.
* When meeting someone from the Internet, meet in a public place, let at least one trusted person know where you're going to be, and have them give you a call at some point (not completely foolproof, but it can help).

However, there are occasions a woman can't take precautions for. For example, attacks by people you know and trust. You don't expect that to happen. You can't be always on your guard around friends and family, roommates you've known for a good while and so on.

Sometimes necessity overrules caution - for example, women working night shifts can't always have someone with them when traveling in the dark.

And sometimes you have to take risks - when getting to know a potential partner, you're not going to have a chaperone with you all the time. Eventually, you're going to go to his place, or he'll be at yours.

So, yes, you can do a few things to minimise danger, but you can't live your life afraid of what people might do to you. When I see people saying a victim should have done this, or should have done that, I always wonder - are those people on guard 24/7? Do they never let their guard drop, even a little, just enjoying life and not worrying about all the dangers out there? If I constantly let myself worry about the way the world is, I think I'd end up permanently hidden underneath my duvet, utterly depressed. And even then, someone might break in, or a plane might crash onto my roof, or my house can get swallowed up by a sinkhole...
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Given that we know the risks of Islamic terrorism do you agree that Western countries are at least partly to blame for inviting terrorism if they support wars in Middle Eastern countries?

Yeah. I would say so.
Original post by Kittiara

* When meeting someone from the Internet, meet in a public place, let at least one trusted person know where you're going to be, and have them give you a call at some point (not completely foolproof, but it can help).

However, there are occasions a woman can't take precautions for. For example, attacks by people you know and trust. You don't expect that to happen. You can't be always on your guard around friends and family, roommates you've known for a good while and so on.

Sometimes necessity overrules caution - for example, women working night shifts can't always have someone with them when traveling in the dark.

And sometimes you have to take risks - when getting to know a potential partner, you're not going to have a chaperone with you all the time. Eventually, you're going to go to his place, or he'll be at yours.

So, yes, you can do a few things to minimise danger, but you can't live your life afraid of what people might do to you. When I see people saying a victim should have done this, or should have done that, I always wonder - are those people on guard 24/7? Do they never let their guard drop, even a little, just enjoying life and not worrying about all the dangers out there? If I constantly let myself worry about the way the world is, I think I'd end up permanently hidden underneath my duvet, utterly depressed. And even then, someone might break in, or a plane might crash onto my roof, or my house can get swallowed up by a sinkhole...

Exactly this.

There is only a certain amount of precautionary measures women can take. Men should obviously take precautionary measures as well
Original post by faith9320
Exactly this.

There is only a certain amount of precautionary measures women can take. Men should obviously take precautionary measures as well

What precautionary measures would you suggest for men to take?
What precautionary measures would you suggest for men to take?

Basically the same as women. There are gay rapist out there that are looking for a chance to rape men as well. And to decrease their chance of falling victim to other crime.
Original post by Kittiara

Yes and those precautions are usually exactly what are put forward by people like OP, police chiefs, parents etc. resulting in them being decried as victim-blamers. Nobody is suggesting women should be so vigilant that they dress in burqas be teetotal and never leave the house. The only way I can rationalise feminist responses of victim-blaming is if they think this is what is being demanded.
Original post by Mick.w
teach men not to rape?
attack the problem at the root?

I could be a little out of touch here but would you mind telling me where men are getting taught to rape? or that rape is ok?

i mean how do you stop other crimes?
is every thief taught to steal?
is every thug taught to assault?
is every mugger taught to rob?
is every murder taught to murder?

if simply attacking the route at the problem was so simple then do you not think it would have been done?

are you expecting some sort of social services intervention?

i think maybe you have overly high expectations of our care system.

parents can be pretty bad. because the care system is still worse and more damaging to the child.

or are you proposing that this intervention and teaching takes place later?

or perhaps not teaching but just a witch hunter like organization that crucifies people over what may or may not be deemed a contribution to rape culture.

you realize rape is a crime? is there any crime that we've managed to prevent?

rape is a problem.

but talking about rape culture is making some sort of vague lash out at the rest of normal society claiming its not good enough.

you ask why womens issues are shunned. they are not. certain womens issues are shunned. because certain women propagate unsubstantiated claims about rape culture. which they cannot argue for or against because theyve stolen the idea from someone else. so instead they use smear terms like misogynist and pro rape or MRA to declare anyone who questions their theories as.

also a lot of these feminists are moronic. they are like the EDL and have similar level of intelligence.

only the EDL has done more to highlight rape and corruption than any feminist group has. pretty shameful really.

also. you don't know what feminism is.

But there you are, claiming that if a 'feminist' makes claims against rape she is moronic, and extreme. (I know you're not saying this for all, but I think you mean the majority.)

Men aren't taught to rape, but its the fact every time a potential rapist hears a rape 'joke' in our LAD culture, the idea of doing it becomes increasingly more normal to them. So many people don't understand that little things like openly condemning the culture can literally save lives.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending