The Student Room Group

There will always be rapists so women should take precautionary measures

Regardless of what utopian feminists believe, in our society, there will always be rapists just as there will always be people who assault others and pedophiles. This 'rape culture' they talk of is not going to disappear just like that after preaching about it. Yes, we know rape is a disgusting and hideous crime but so is murder, so is pedophilia and assaults of any other nature can be as well.

Rather than pretend that we can somehow stop rapists through 'fighting the patriarchy' and so forth we should be focusing on a pragmatic solution to combat such disgusting and vile acts. You will come up with the constant line of 'victim blaming and why should we?'. We should because its the common sense approach to a problem rather than an idealistic one.

I'll give you two examples of the pragmatic approach.

Assault: To combat assault I can preach all day that other men should not pray on drunk, vulnerable men on the way home from nightclubs in an attempt to steal our wallets and our other valuables but I know there will always be people who assault others out there. It is a utopian belief to suggest we can rid the Earth of these people.

To combat this occurring I don't get wasted to a level that puts me in a vulnerable position, I don't put myself in a vulnerable position as I often stay with a group of trusted friends and I also ensure that I do not antagonise anyone on nights out leading to them, through revenge, carrying out an attack later on. I shouldn't have to do that but I do that because I know its in my best interests to do that. Its just a way of life and I can minimise risk simply by taking these actions.

Pedophilia: Parents combat this by ensuring they are supervising their children at all times. They constantly watch where they are and whilst some may say this is paranoia, they have a right to be in this world. It is a fact that pedophiles will exist so measures need to be taken to minimise risk to the children out there. Schools take measures to combat pedophiles as well.

Parents should not have to do these things, and neither should schools, in an ideal world pedophiles wouldn't exist, but we do not live in an ideal world, we live in a real one. That is never going to change.

Combatting Rape

Its fair to say, based on the above methods of combatting certain crimes by other groups in society, that females should also act in a responsible manner to limit the threat to themselves and avoid putting themselves in a vulnerable position. It is just dumb to say, 'I should be able to drink as much as I like and not get raped', because we already know that but we should be able to do a lot of things but we simply cannot because the fact is, we live in a world that is home to a lot of evil people. We must accept these exist.

1) Women should stop getting so wasted and putting themselves in a vulnerable position
2) Women should stop going home with random guys they do not know as the woman did in the Ched Evans incident
3) Women should stay in a group of friends and definitely go out and go home with friends - i.e. don't get into a taxi alone or walk home
4) Women should carry pepper spray and a rape alarm to combat these disgusting beings if it ever comes to it

To suggest women shouldn't have to take precautionary methods is daft because as pointed out above, we live in a realistic world, not an ideal one. I would love for us to live in a world free from murderers, pedophiles, violent people, rapists and all the other disgusting criminal acts there are but that simply isn't going to be the case. I think coming to terms with that fact shows a sign of maturity whereby you step out of this idealistic view of the world and you accept the world for what it truly is.

Every day, we take precautionary measures. I put things in a locker at the gym to stop it getting stolen. I shouldn't have to do so but I do because I know there are thieves about. It's just a simple fact of life. Of course the rapist or person committing the crime is always in the wrong but if you put yourself in a vulnerable position in the first place then you did not help matters at all and you gave that disgusting criminal an opportunity to take advantage of you. Limit those opportunities. Most rapists are opportunist scum that prey on the vulnerable for a reason. Just remember that.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Really couldn't care less if they're running the country. I won't be here.
Why not? :dontknow:
Couldn't agree more.
This is not victim blaming it's the real world, very very sadly.
Agreed. This world is evil N we don't live in a fairyland of honey and smiley faces

Girls can't get wasted and not expect the worse. It's just how it is nowadays

Recently my female friend got her drink spiked.
yup totally agreed and very well put.

They type of people who commit these crimes are not the sort of people who will see a feminist banner and say "you know what, you're right i'm going to change". I think feminism is largely redundant in fighting rape culture now. I'd also say that it's counter productive, some (not all) would reply to OP with "why should i take these precautions because men can't keep it in their pants and just treat us like meat" so they are actively discouraging people from taking precautions.
I agree except with number 2 as women are more likely to be raped by men they DO know so technically they are better off going home with a stranger.

http://www.rapecrisis.org.uk/commonmyths2.php
Agreed of course. I genuinely question both the intelligence and mental sanity of anyone who doesn't.
Original post by Born_Survivor
I agree except with number 2 as women are more likely to be raped by men they DO know so technically they are better off going home with a stranger.

http://www.rapecrisis.org.uk/commonmyths2.php

Well then the answer to that is go home with a female friend. As we all know, women can't rape anyone (in the UK at least).
Reply 9
Original post by SocialJustice
:blah:

When you change the word feminism with the word therapy with a lot of those pics they make a lot more sense
Women will always be around. Men should be taught not to rape, not for women to protect themselves. Attack the problem at the root. Believing in stopping rape isnt a feminist thought, it's a human thought. Pretty rational imo. Feminism IS needed because a lot of guys and even girls are quick to dismiss it as just an 'over exaggerated, little girls problem' which is precisely the problem with our phallocentric society. If a woman ever fights for her right or equality, its just shunned as child-like, or a total PMS thing. That is why society ISNT equal, and why such bigoted ideas such as 'accept rape because it just happens' are allowed to flourish.

I AM A MAN AND I NEED FEMINISM BECAUSE THE FEMINIST IS STILL THE PERSON TO BLAME.
Reply 11
Well said OP. Couldn't have told it any better :yy:
Original post by SocialJustice
snip

And what about all the other people, oxbridge or otherwise, which could also be running the country in future, who would disagree?
I mean, one of them is just ridiculous "I need feminism because some people still think we don't need feminism", okay then, "I need Nazism because some people think we don't need Nazism". Additionally, they are all the generic crap "rape culture", "victim blaming" etc. things which are only important for feminist issues, any other issues and it's fine to lay blame on the victim for not taking precautions, and other crimes are not part of our culture.
Original post by GeorgeBuxey94
Women will always be around. Men should be taught not to rape, not for women to protect themselves. Attack the problem at the root. Believing in stopping rape isnt a men are tfeminist thought, it's a human thought. Pretty rational imo. Feminism IS needed because a lot of guys and even girls are quick to dismiss it as just an 'over exaggerated, little girls problem' which is precisely the problem with our phallocentric society. If a woman ever fights for her right or equality, its just shunned as child-like, or a total PMS thing. That is why society ISNT equal, and why such bigoted ideas such as 'accept rape because it just happens' are allowed to flourish.

I AM A MAN AND I NEED FEMINISM BECAUSE THE FEMINIST IS STILL THE PERSON TO BLAME.

This "teach men not to rape" is getting old. People do bad things and no amount of telling them not to do it is going to stop them.

The government has been telling people not to kill each other because it is wrong, yet people still kill each other. People are told not to deal drugs, yet people deal drugs. People are told not to steal, yet people still steal.

Are you seeing the pattern yet?
Original post by DiddyDec
This "teach men not to rape" is getting old. People do bad things and no amount of telling them not to do it is going to stop them.

The government has been telling people not to kill each other because it is wrong, yet people still kill each other. People are told not to deal drugs, yet people deal drugs. People are told not to steal, yet people still steal.

Are you seeing the pattern yet?

So by that logic shall we teach people how not to be killed? how not to buy drugs? how not to be stolen from?
Finally. Someone has said it.

Kudo's OP
So by that logic shall we teach people how not to be killed? how not to buy drugs? how not to be stolen from?

"How not to be stolen from guide"
1) Lock your door
2) Don't give your keys to strangers
3) Close your windows when you go on holiday

Yeah, of course it should be taught. You might say it's common sense, but maybe it isn't.

That is what we do in society. We teach people to avoid suspicious people. We teach people to say no to drugs. We teach people to lock their home or lock their car.

We all know that there are and probably will always be bad people out there who are looking to take advantage of you. We should all take precautions to reduce the chance of being a victim of any crime.
Original post by DiddyDec
That is what we do in society. We teach people to avoid suspicious people. We teach people to say no to drugs. We teach people to lock their home or lock their car.

We all know that there are and probably will always be bad people out there who are looking to take advantage of you. We should all take precautions to reduce the chance of being a victim of any crime.

Do you blame the victim though? 'Oh that kid was asking for it when he followed that man into the windowless van for sweets'.
Do you blame the victim though? 'Oh that kid was asking for it when he followed that man into the windowless van for sweets'.

I don't blame the victim.

I blame;

1) The person who committed the act

2) The parents for not supervising their child or for not teaching them not to talk to strangers and especially not follow them into a van.

Quick Reply

Latest