The Student Room Group

The Southampton F.C Thread I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reluire
You might say his performance was pretty classy. :awesome:

I like it.
Why was van Dijk so poor last night? He really struggled with Caulker, both of them allowing our front-line - and especially Sturridge - far too much time.

I saw him play against Swansea, and Stoke, and he quietly impressed me. I was surprised by his lack of attention to detail, and his lack of composure last night. He has been a great signing for you lot, and he's one that the Tyne and Wear clubs should have made when both were linked with him. But last night he was your Achilles heel, along with Caulker.
Original post by Mackay
Why was van Dijk so poor last night? He really struggled with Caulker, both of them allowing our front-line - and especially Sturridge - far too much time.

I saw him play against Swansea, and Stoke, and he quietly impressed me. I was surprised by his lack of attention to detail, and his lack of composure last night. He has been a great signing for you lot, and he's one that the Tyne and Wear clubs should have made when both were linked with him. But last night he was your Achilles heel, along with Caulker.

The whole team was poor on Wednesday. Caulker has little first team experience, so my guess is there wasn't a very cohesive link between him and Van Dijk. The defence was simply awful, no doubt about it. The team never seemed to get the picture that kicking long balls out to Pelle wasn't working. We need to pick ourselves up against Villa tomorrow and shake off this bad form.

Rumour has it we're in the market for buying Charlie Austin in January for around £8m. :gah: His QPR contract runs out at the end of the season anyway, so I can't see any deal being more expensive than that.
Original post by Reluire
The whole team was poor on Wednesday. Caulker has little first team experience, so my guess is there wasn't a very cohesive link between him and Van Dijk. The defence was simply awful, no doubt about it. The team never seemed to get the picture that kicking long balls out to Pelle wasn't working. We need to pick ourselves up against Villa tomorrow and shake off this bad form.

Rumour has it we're in the market for buying Charlie Austin in January for around £8m. :gah: His QPR contract runs out at the end of the season anyway, so I can't see any deal being more expensive than that.

I can't see Austin staying for too much longer. If QPR fail to get promoted, he will undoubtedly leave. That said, he may go earlier. Hasselbaink may see it as a chance to get the money and build his own squad from a blank canvas.
We're baaaaack. :biggrin:

Outstanding performance from the team in every area of the field.
Long was the man of the match by some distance. He terrorised and tormented the Arsenal defence, and fair play to Martina, who surely will be unlucky to not bag the goal of the season award for that strike.

On his debut too! What a dream.
Original post by Mackay
Long was the man of the match by some distance. He terrorised and tormented the Arsenal defence, and fair play to Martina, who surely will be unlucky to not bag the goal of the season award for that strike.

On his debut too! What a dream.

What makes it all the more special is he's a right back!
Original post by Reluire
What makes it all the more special is he's a right back!

Exactly! Who'd have expected that?
Original post by Mackay
Exactly! Who'd have expected that?

No one. Literally no one.

I hope we keep playing Long up front and give Juanmi a few more chances. This performances shows how stale things became putting Pelle up front constantly. Arsenal couldn't cope with Long's agility and pace.
Original post by Reluire
No one. Literally no one.

I hope we keep playing Long up front and give Juanmi a few more chances. This performances shows how stale things became putting Pelle up front constantly. Arsenal couldn't cope with Long's agility and pace.

Long deserves to be a mainstay for the forseeable, really. I was really impressed by him today. He has an abundance of pace, stamina and willingness to run allows him to constantly hassle the oppositions back four and defensive midfielders when they have the ball and try and force mistakes out them.
The first, properly impressive, Saints performance I've seen this season. And you've ****ed up the minds of the Arsenal fans who are now having a crisis on the back of one bad result. Good job, lads
Great performance today :borat:
Original post by Mackay
Long deserves to be a mainstay for the forseeable, really. I was really impressed by him today. He has an abundance of pace, stamina and willingness to run allows him to constantly hassle the oppositions back four and defensive midfielders when they have the ball and try and force mistakes out them.

I agree. Although his finishing can be slightly sloppy, shown in his terrible chip attempt in the first half, he showed tonight he can get the job done. Certainly offers some diversity to Pelle as well - so hopefully we'll be able to keep our opposition guessing if Long gets a few more first team starts.

It'll be even more interesting if we sign Austin in January as the rumours are suggesting.
Original post by Reluire
I agree. Although his finishing can be slightly sloppy, shown in his terrible chip attempt in the first half, he showed tonight he can get the job done. Certainly offers some diversity to Pelle as well - so hopefully we'll be able to keep our opposition guessing if Long gets a few more first team starts.

It'll be even more interesting if we sign Austin in January as the rumours are suggesting.

I think he needs to work on his discipline, too. Obviously, it's tough going up against defenders like Mertesacker, but his caution today was nothing short of petulance and could (and should) have been easily avoided.
The pleasing thing with that Martina goal is that his selection is totally justified now. He was thrown in, but he's a natural right-back and much more accustomed to operating there than the likes of Yoshida.
Original post by Mackay
The pleasing thing with that Martina goal is that his selection is totally justified now. He was thrown in, but he's a natural right-back and much more accustomed to operating there than the likes of Yoshida.

He can play anywhere along the backline, as well. I was surprised they didn't make him cover for Bertrand at the beginning of the season.
I'd be livid if I was a Southampton fan this weekend, and not just because of Mane's questionable time-keeping and the fact he seems to be engineering a move away from St. Mary's.

I thought Wanyama's red card was unforgivable. Absolutely awful decision making from the central midfielder, and his tackle was petulant and stupid. Why would you do that on a yellow? He ran the game against Arsenal, but yesterday's performance was a remission into the poor form which has plagued him all season.
He's precisely the signing we needed. Things are on the up! 3-0 result demonstrating complete control today. Pleased for Ward-Prowse; I just worry it won't be long before all the big clubs want to snap him up.
He's an excellent set-piece taker - that was clear before today. Believe me, big teams will start chasing him soon enough. Liverhampton no doubt. :rolleyes:
He'll be on massive wages, which is why I reckon QPR let him go cheaply and nobody would buy him in the Summer.

Quick Reply

Latest