The Student Room Group

The Southampton F.C Thread I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shawn_o1
If they're REALLY lucky they'll draw Inverness in round three, and Dortmund in the play-off round :wink:

I think it's seeded vs unseeded, and so far, Southampton look like they might be seeded, I think... (That or I seriously need glasses).
Talk of Clyne going is premature given Liverpool have had a bid rejected and he has made no inclination of wanting to leave, but I can't help feeling that Schneiderlin is the man you need to keep. You made a very crucial decision in keeping him last summer - and a defensive midfielder is so pivotal to any team these days - you simply can't afford to let him go.

You allowed Lallana, Lambert, Lovren, Shaw and Chambers to depart last season, but Schneiderlin stayed and for good reason. You need to keep hold of him this summer, too. Clubs will sniff around him, but losing him will be extremely detrimental to your growth as a club, squad and first-team.
Schneiderlin could be set for Old Trafford. Big mistake by Arsenal and City to allow him to go there unchallenged imho.
^That's great.

I think it's a desperate shame you haven't kept Cortese, though. Sharks are circling around him from the football world, apparently, so I doubt it'll be too long before we hear of him again.
He'd be a very good replacement, I'd say. Really hoping we sign Charlie Austin too.

Original post by Mackay
Schneiderlin could be set for Old Trafford. Big mistake by Arsenal and City to allow him to go there unchallenged imho.

I wasn't aware City had even shown interest in him? Wenger doesn't seem to like spending the big money, so I'm not surprised he backed out of the £25m asking price for Schneiderlin. United probably is where he'll end up going.

Very good news indeed. :cute: Makes us a very profitable club to sponsors - therefore continued growth is inevitable.

Original post by Mackay
^That's great.

I think it's a desperate shame you haven't kept Cortese, though. Sharks are circling around him from the football world, apparently, so I doubt it'll be too long before we hear of him again.

Cortese was a vicious, aspiring dictator. He was a cut-throat businessman at the end of the day, and if we really needed him, the handling of the club and potentially our performance would have suffered after he left. But it didn't - it improved. Krueger and Liebherr seem to have a good hold on things I reckon. Any club is welcome to Cortese; he's a nasty piece of work, albeit a successful businessman.
Original post by Reluire

I wasn't aware City had even shown interest in him? Wenger doesn't seem to like spending the big money, so I'm not surprised he backed out of the £25m asking price for Schneiderlin. United probably is where he'll end up going.

I don't think they have, but I don't rate Fernando and them losing Milner means that they are short in the centre of midfield.
Clyne replacement sorted nice and early.
Both signings seem quite good. Hopefully they'll adjust well to English football. Still hoping we'll get Austin as another forward and maybe Tom Heaton as a Forster replacement while he remains injured. I like how Koeman finds bargains abroad, but I think some domestic talent is important too as it's quite a salient part of Southampton's ethos, I'd say.
How long do you think Southampton will haggle over Clyne? Presumably since it's Liverpool, it will be dragged out as much as possible?
Original post by Zerforax
How long do you think Southampton will haggle over Clyne? Presumably since it's Liverpool, it will be dragged out as much as possible?

I imagine it'll be dragged out until Clyne - if he wants to leave - kicks up a fuss. We have a habit of prolonging talks and offering numerous bids in a chance to haggle the price down, so I can't see it being resolved quickly.
Original post by Reluire
Both signings seem quite good. Hopefully they'll adjust well to English football. Still hoping we'll get Austin as another forward and maybe Tom Heaton as a Forster replacement while he remains injured. I like how Koeman finds bargains abroad, but I think some domestic talent is important too as it's quite a salient part of Southampton's ethos, I'd say.

You don't really need to buy domestic talent if your academy keeps banging them out year after year.
Original post by 9910224
You don't really need to buy domestic talent if your academy keeps banging them out year after year.

It might if they keep getting sold off so quickly.
Original post by Zerforax
It might if they keep getting sold off so quickly.

Getting less likely now you're in Europe... Only a matter of time before you're in the Champions' League, I think. :tongue:
Presume you won't be taking Duricic permanently? I rate him to be honest, and he's been decent in the U-21 championship from what little I've seen.
Great signing. Now your backline until October will have 1 World Cup runner-up, 1 Champions League runner-up (should Alderweireld return permanently) and a Champions League winner.

Well played, Koeman. :congrats::congrats::congrats:
Toby's off to Spurs by the looks of it. With Southampton's usual efficiency in the market i'm amazed they didn't negotiate some kind of first refusal clause. Unless Atletico refused to play ball?
Original post by sr90
Toby's off to Spurs by the looks of it. With Southampton's usual efficiency in the market i'm amazed they didn't negotiate some kind of first refusal clause. Unless Atletico refused to play ball?

Reports suggesting Southampton are still in the running, with Koeman eyeing an £18m deal.

Would that be a record purchase for you lot?
Original post by 9910224
Great signing. Now your backline until October will have 1 World Cup runner-up, 1 Champions League runner-up (should Alderweireld return permanently) and a Champions League winner.

Well played, Koeman. :congrats::congrats::congrats:

I sound really dumb but who? EDIT: oh nvm it was Bertrand
That's what I meant, yeah!

Pablo Osvaldo £13M
Victor Wanyama £12.5M
Shane Long £12M
Gastón Ramírez £12M
Dušan Tadić £10.9M
Ryan Bertrand £10M
Sadio Mané £10M
Fraser Forster £10M
Graziano Pellè £9M
Dejan Lovren £8.5M
Reply 179
Everything about Southampton is fantastic.

Quick Reply

Latest