The Student Room Group

Hopeful Medicine Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jitesh
I can't seem to find a Hopeful Dentistry 2017 Applicants thread, so I'm going to chill here if you don't mind :cool:

As long as you don't bite :colondollar:

Ah but we do bite :colone:. Just joking the more the merrier right? So welcome!!!:biggrin:
Original post by alexxandra
hope so:smile: ah dont worry about music its not that important just an extra thing:smile: where are you thinking of applying for uni?

:eek: I haven't even properly chosen Sixth Form and you're asking about uni??? XD just messing around. I'm thinking of UCL,Oxford or maybe University of Birmingham. How bout you?
Reply 22
Original post by AnimeFreak101
Ah but we do bite :colone:. Just joking the more the merrier right? So welcome!!!:biggrin:

I'm interested in maxifacs so I feel a little bit less out of place :tongue:

Original post by Jitesh
I'm interested in maxifacs so I feel a little bit less out of place :tongue:

:biggrin:
Reply 24
:biggrin:

So what a-levels are you thinking of doing?
Original post by Jitesh
So what a-levels are you thinking of doing?

Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. I'm gonna die at the end of it x.x How bout you?
Reply 26
Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. I'm gonna die at the end of it x.x How bout you?

Same :/
Original post by Jitesh
Same :/

Guess we're all in this possible nightmare together XD. How do you plan to revise for GCSEs in general?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guess we're all in this possible nightmare together XD. How do you plan to revise for GCSEs in general?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing exactly the same A-levels as you guys and I'll be applying in 2017 too. I am hoping for 10A* 1A and 1B at GCSE. For my GCSE's in June time next year... Erm my revision plan = smash out revision from January onward and try to grab as many A*s as possible:biggrin:
I really don't understand why you guys are worried. I totally understand why you'd be like, "there is so much work to do when I get to A-level". But considering you want to be Doctors/Dentists... Personally a Medic, I would have thought you would have embraced studying four of your Favouite subjects? I can't wait to not have to do Vile Welsh First Language! And disgusting Business Studies:") Which one of the four: biology, chemistry, physics and maths will you guys drop?
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
I really don't understand why you guys are worried. I totally understand why you'd be like, "there is so much work to do when I get to A-level". But considering you want to be Doctors/Dentists... Personally a Medic, I would have thought you would have embraced studying four of your Favouite subjects? I can't wait to not have to do Vile Welsh First Language! And disgusting Business Studies:") Which one of the four: biology, chemistry, physics and maths will you guys drop?

I know, I know...my views ars just heavily influenced by my brother who chose the same A-levels as me and didn't do as well as he would have liked at AS. But now that he's in his second year he's gunning for those A*s, he's not doing Med so he dropped Biology. I'm either dropping Physics or Maths. I'm soo happy I'm not gonna be doing Music and French at A-levels!!! It simply thrills me!!! :biggrin: What are you gonna drop?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i am, i think understandably, nervous as everyone says the jump for gcse to a level is so big and the standard so much higher:eek: at the same time i am exceptionally excited to only be studying subjects i love and have no more english/history/german/re/pe/psychology! ill definitely drop further maths after As, and if i drop another either maths or physics, i guess ill have to see how they go!
:eek: I haven't even properly chosen Sixth Form and you're asking about uni??? XD just messing around. I'm thinking of UCL,Oxford or maybe University of Birmingham. How bout you?

Oh sorry! i have a situation with sixth forms as i am currently at a very good school and i do really like it here, also i have siblings here and ive got to know the place and the teacher etc. but there is another school which has the most amazing science department ever and it looks so nice and professional but its probably twice as far away. i dont know what to do?! Im thinking of oxford, nottingham, sheffield and leicester :smile:
Reply 33

Well, we are the first year to do them "linear". I'm not sure how it works, because you can either do an AS alone or a full a-level at the end of the two year course.

Maths is still modular, Sciences are linear (but you can choose do it as an AS only).

But Maths/Physics to AS only, not sure yet :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by alexxandra
i am, i think understandably, nervous as everyone says the jump for gcse to a level is so big and the standard so much higher:eek: at the same time i am exceptionally excited to only be studying subjects i love and have no more english/history/german/re/pe/psychology! ill definitely drop further maths after As, and if i drop another either maths or physics, i guess ill have to see how they go!

Some Dental/Medical schools consider further maths/maths as one a-level

Check the requirements, because it looks hard yet it's a shame some of them don't count it :mad::mad::mad:
Hi everyone, I know this thread is for medical hopefuls in year 11 but I'm in year 13, got an offer for medicine at Birmingham (A*AA), waiting to here back from the others.
Just wanted to advise you all :smile::
1) try and organise some work experience for summer and if you can organise a long term volunteering placement starting after exams - you sorta have to have one of these to talk about at interview and the longer you've been doing it the more impressive it is. You're probably too young to go into hospitals but GPs and nursing homes are a good place to start!
2) you don't have to do maths chemistry biology physics for a-level! I did maths chemistry biology and French but don't make the mistake so many people make and feel you have to do maths because a-level maths is hard! You're so much better doing chemistry and biology and 2 subjects you love and are good at and getting 4 A's (though try to make sure at least one more of them is a "facilitating subject").
Also I would not advise doing further maths unless your stuck between medicine and a maths/physics/engineering course and/or are doing 5, because i did quite a bit of research into this and the vast majority of medical schools don't count maths and further maths separately, look into the ones you are considering
3) bad gcses aren't the end of your medical career if you make up for it with good ukcat/ bmat and a really good personal statement and you apply strategically, but good gcses really do help so work hard this year!
If you've got any questions I'll be happy to answer them :biggrin:
Reply 36
Original post by elmothedancer
Hi everyone, I know this thread is for medical hopefuls in year 11 but I'm in year 13, got an offer for medicine at Birmingham (A*AA), waiting to here back from the others.
Just wanted to advise you all :smile::
1) try and organise some work experience for summer and if you can organise a long term volunteering placement starting after exams - you sorta have to have one of these to talk about at interview and the longer you've been doing it the more impressive it is. You're probably too young to go into hospitals but GPs and nursing homes are a good place to start!
2) you don't have to do maths chemistry biology physics for a-level! I did maths chemistry biology and French but don't make the mistake so many people make and feel you have to do maths because a-level maths is hard! You're so much better doing chemistry and biology and 2 subjects you love and are good at and getting 4 A's (though try to make sure at least one more of them is a "facilitating subject").
Also I would not advise doing further maths unless your stuck between medicine and a maths/physics/engineering course and/or are doing 5, because i did quite a bit of research into this and the vast majority of medical schools don't count maths and further maths separately, look into the ones you are considering
3) bad gcses aren't the end of your medical career if you make up for it with good ukcat/ bmat and a really good personal statement and you apply strategically, but good gcses really do help so work hard this year!
If you've got any questions I'll be happy to answer them :biggrin:

Wow that's amazing! I know someone currently at Birmingham 2nd year BDS
Mind me asking you on your stats?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Oh and where did you volunteer? I'm thinking of a care home, the nearest hospitals which do volunteering are around an hour bus/train away or longer 😢

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jitesh
Oh and where did you volunteer? I'm thinking of a care home, the nearest hospitals which do volunteering are around an hour bus/train away or longer 😢

Posted from TSR Mobile

GCSEs 8A*s 2As.
AS: 4As
predicted A2 A*, A*, A*/A (whether that will happen or not is an entirely different story!)
UKCAT: total=3000

I do my volunteering in a hospital but a nursing home is a great idea, as is a hospice but they seem to only be in big towns and cities :frown: the main advantage I find with a hospital though is that you get to see patients get better which is to me an important part of being a doctor that you don't see as much in nursing homes and hospices. And there are more varieties of doctor and healthcare professionals about.
I also do non medical volunteering in college helping out with lower school lessons
I also did a week 'holiday' with disabled children, I went to Lourdes in France with a charity called hcpt through college, and it was fantastic!! Can't recommend enough doing something with disabled children and their families, often charities run play schemes over summer or you might be able to organise helping in a special needs school.
Good luck with you med school application
Original post by Jitesh
Well, we are the first year to do them "linear". I'm not sure how it works, because you can either do an AS alone or a full a-level at the end of the two year course.

Maths is still modular, Sciences are linear (but you can choose do it as an AS only).

But Maths/Physics to AS only, not sure yet :smile:

Yeah I was told something like that by my Bio and Phys teacher. So is that for every exam board or what because I'm with WJEC?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending