The Student Room Group

Hopeful Medicine Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Ah okay, do you know of any exceptions to that?
What were your GCSE and a level grades
Original post by chocolatelover99
What were your GCSE and a level grades

5A* 6A at GCSE
AAA at A level
Original post by AnimeFreak101
Hi Guys! This forum in itself is pretty self explanatory [in terms of what it's about]. I was orginally going to make this a group but I thought I'd start a Forum instead. I'm really interested to know who wants to do Medicine in the future and why? [this is mainly for current GCSE students but it's not really limited]. I'm also interested in knowing all your predicted grades [If you reall want to share it]. Anyway, I just want this to be a place where people feel that they can turn to if and when they need help. We are all in this together so why not help each other out :smile:

What A levels are you taking?
Original post by alexxandra
Ah okay, do you know of any exceptions to that?

There are a few exceptions I believe, but very very few...

I would recommend against further maths now if im honest if you are 100% sure medicine is for you.

we had 2 people who were doing further maths in my year who wanted to do medicine, one has gotten in but didnt end up doing further maths as they were doing 5 subjects so they just got A-level maths a year early, and the other never ended up applying to medicine.

further maths wont help you in any way for medicine.
Original post by FrogSpawn
What A levels are you taking?

It's honestly all just a mess at the moment for me. I want to ideally do Maths, Chem, Bio and Physics but I'm not really sure I'm going to be able to cope with Physics so I might drop it along with Maths and do something like Psychology with another subject. Hbu?
It's honestly all just a mess at the moment for me. I want to ideally do Maths, Chem, Bio and Physics but I'm not really sure I'm going to be able to cope with Physics so I might drop it along with Maths and do something like Psychology with another subject. Hbu?

If you don't like physics/will struggle to cope, dude, then just don't take physics. It doesn't make your application look any better. Take psych if you want.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
If you don't like physics/will struggle to cope, dude, then just don't take physics. It doesn't make your application look any better. Take psych if you want.

Psychology it is then :smile: But is it compulsory to have Maths as well?
(edited 8 years ago)
Psychology it is then :smile: But is it compulsory to have Maths as well?

Having maths lets your apply to one more uni (Cambridge) - if you don't want to go to Cambridge, you don't have to take Maths. :tongue:
To study medicine, do you have to have always wanted to study it? It seems like everyone I've spoken to either in real life or on the internet have had a long-life passion...

I've only gained a passion for biology and chemistry recently, I should be getting A*s in both and am doing both for A-level along with Maths and Economics.
Original post by jamestg
To study medicine, do you have to have always wanted to study it? It seems like everyone I've spoken to either in real life or on the internet have had a long-life passion...

I've only gained a passion for biology and chemistry recently, I should be getting A*s in both and am doing both for A-level along with Maths and Economics.

No you don't! I only decided on medicine in my AS year, before then it never even crossed my mind :P
I only decided to apply for medicine when I was 16 and only discovered I really wanted to be a doctor in my first year of uni. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamestg

I only decided to apply to Medicine when I was 22 and on the year abroad of a Modern Languages degree.
Reply 494
Having maths lets your apply to one more uni (Cambridge) - if you don't want to go to Cambridge, you don't have to take Maths. :tongue:

You can apply to Cambridge without maths, except Magdalene College i think.
Original post by Lista
You can apply to Cambridge without maths, except Magdalene College i think.

Doesn't ucl or imperial prefer someone who takes a contrasting subject ie an essay based one too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 496
Original post by Jitesh
Doesn't ucl or imperial prefer someone who takes a contrasting subject ie an essay based one too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

UCL and Peninsula prefer a contracting subject

Oh then I think I'd rather do something I'm almost guaranteed an A* in then :smile: Best to play it safe! :biggrin:
Original post by Jitesh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but it's not always the case
It's rare they choose a candidate based on what subjects they do.

Source: My mentors who do medicine at UCL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do I have varied enough choice of subjects:

Bio, Chem, Maths, Further Maths and Spanish?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending