The Student Room Group

Hopeful Medicine Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saahil0987
Do I have varied enough choice of subjects:

Bio, Chem, Maths, Further Maths and Spanish?

That is completely varied enough definitely!!

Like many have already said though universities do not count maths and further maths as separate a-levels when applying to medicine, so essentially you are doing an extra A-level on top of your already very packed timetable for little reason as it is no benefit towards your application (It has actually shown that doing extra A-levels has a detrimental effect to the grades of your other ones often)

By all means do further maths, loads of my non medic friends love it, but i personally would recommend just doing maths, as further maths will have no extra benefit to you when doing medicine, whereas spanish will!

If you do have a career change at some point of you're life, for instance if you want to go into engineering instead of medicine, then further maths would be the best option to take.

But if you're definitely sure that you want to do medicine, then there is no point in doing further maths and do Spanish instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
That is completely varied enough definitely!!

Like many have already said though universities do not count maths and further maths as separate a-levels when applying to medicine, so essentially you are doing an extra A-level on top of your already very packed timetable for little reason as it is no benefit towards your application (It has actually shown that doing extra A-levels has a detrimental effect to the grades of your other ones often)

By all means do further maths, loads of my non medic friends love it, but i personally would recommend just doing maths, as further maths will have no extra benefit to you when doing medicine, whereas spanish will!

The reason behind me doing Further was because right now I find maths pretty easy and I found Further Maths to be a bit of a stretch however now I'm going into A level maths having done half the content so I wanted to stretch myself for AS level. I understand five A-levels (or AS levels) will be stressful hence I'm treating the first weeks of 6th form as a trial period whereby if I find it too hard I'll just drop FM
Original post by Bloom77
If you do have a career change at some point of you're life, for instance if you want to go into engineering instead of medicine, then further maths would be the best option to take.

But if you're definitely sure that you want to do medicine, then there is no point in doing further maths and do Spanish instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty certain about Medicine and I'm just doing Spanish and FM cause I enjoy these subjects more than anything else. Like ik 5 AS levels will be hard but I think if in the first few weeks I find it too stressful I'll just drop Fm
The reason behind me doing Further was because right now I find maths pretty easy and I found Further Maths to be a bit of a stretch however now I'm going into A level maths having done half the content so I wanted to stretch myself for AS level. I understand five A-levels (or AS levels) will be stressful hence I'm treating the first weeks of 6th form as a trial period whereby if I find it too hard I'll just drop FM

Have you already taken A-level maths modules?
Original post by ForestCat
Have you already taken A-level maths modules?

No but we're doing AQA level 2 FM which is basically bits from normal A Level maths

I totally understand that, at my college doing further maths counts for 2 A-levels subjects (In terms of it takes up the same amount of lesson time as 2 subjects on your timetable) and you do A-level maths in one year and then A-level further maths in the next year!

If you did it like my college did it that would mean you wouldn't even get a feel for further maths until the next year - so keep that in mind also.

One other thing is that I found maths VERY easy at GCSE, I sailed through it with no problems (needed very little revision for it), yet I found AS maths a lot of work, I also couldn't see it ever being relevant to my line of work.

Maths has a very high workload, and you will have to learn a lot of content for a lot of exams, I honestly (going off all the sixth forms and colleges in my area in terms of advice) would not do further maths if your dead set on medicine, its just not worth the extra pain for the extra A-level, it may seem important to you now, but if you are 1000000% sure on medicine you will have had that added stress for no gain!

A lot of my friends have regretted taking further maths just because it looks good or they wanted a challenge because now it doesnt count towards their university offers and that puts extra pressure on their other subjects, and further maths is still a lot of work for them to get a good grade in.

Each to their own but I and many other would advise against it for medicine, but if your unsure of your career path yet then maybe hold onto it.
I'm pretty certain about Medicine and I'm just doing Spanish and FM cause I enjoy these subjects more than anything else. Like ik 5 AS levels will be hard but I think if in the first few weeks I find it too stressful I'll just drop Fm

Also it wont be the first few weeks where 5 as levels will be stressful, it will be your exams, remember some of your A-levels will be linear, and you could be stacking up like 20 exams for A2 year!

if you enjoy maths, then just do maths, it is a great and very difficult A-level!

BTW the level 2 further maths your doing is literally nothing like A-level, we didnt offer it at my school but other schools said it was not a good representation of A-level at all, it is much easier I promise you!

I dont want to sound too negative and I feel I am being, so please do not feel I am literally having a go at your for doing further maths, because Im not, Im more thinking about your future, how much it is worth you doing it and how much it may affect your stress and thus other A-levels!

I would say if you like maths then try further maths. I took it a little hesitantly expecting it to be really difficult but I've enjoyed doing it and think I would have found just normal maths a little boring. The toughest part is when it comes to exams (I'm doing A2 exams now and I have 7 maths exams which is more than some peoples number of total exams) but you get through it if you're willing to work hard and go into it knowing that you're going to need to work for it. I think it can be a good thing to take for medicine as it shows that you're willing to push yourself and can cope with a large workload. And you're 100% right in that if it's taking a toll on your other subjects or you find you're struggling to cope then you can drop it. I would say if you're willing to take a risk then go for it and the worst scenario is that you drop after a few months :smile:
Hey guys, I'm new to this thread so yeah.

GCSE Predicted Grades:

English Language A
English Literature C
Physics A
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Maths A*
Geography A*
History A*
Economics A
Citizenship A

So 5A*s 4As 1C - doubt I'm getting this though :frown: 5As 4Bs 1C probably.

AS choices - Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Geography
A2 choices - Biology, Chemistry, Maths

I probably won't get into med school but I really want to!

Good luck to you all - may the odds be ever in you favour.
Original post by Natalierm2707
I totally understand that, at my college doing further maths counts for 2 A-levels subjects (In terms of it takes up the same amount of lesson time as 2 subjects on your timetable) and you do A-level maths in one year and then A-level further maths in the next year!

If you did it like my college did it that would mean you wouldn't even get a feel for further maths until the next year - so keep that in mind also.

One other thing is that I found maths VERY easy at GCSE, I sailed through it with no problems (needed very little revision for it), yet I found AS maths a lot of work, I also couldn't see it ever being relevant to my line of work.

Maths has a very high workload, and you will have to learn a lot of content for a lot of exams, I honestly (going off all the sixth forms and colleges in my area in terms of advice) would not do further maths if your dead set on medicine, its just not worth the extra pain for the extra A-level, it may seem important to you now, but if you are 1000000% sure on medicine you will have had that added stress for no gain!

A lot of my friends have regretted taking further maths just because it looks good or they wanted a challenge because now it doesnt count towards their university offers and that puts extra pressure on their other subjects, and further maths is still a lot of work for them to get a good grade in.

Each to their own but I and many other would advise against it for medicine, but if your unsure of your career path yet then maybe hold onto it.

Basically, with the way we do it at my school taking 5 just means it eats into your free periods which I don't really mind as it keeps it similar to school life now, but I get what you're saying about the stress during exam time but I think I'm only taking 3 for the whole A level - (Biology,Chemistry and Maths / Spanish)

As for level 2 fm I was talking about pure core cause looking at those papers I feel like I can do an adequate amount considering I'm yet to have a lesson of A level maths
(edited 8 years ago)
Same 2018 4 me
Basically, with the way we do it at my school taking 5 just means it eats into your free periods which I don't really mind as it keeps it similar to school life now, but I get what you're saying about the stress during exam time but I think I'm only taking 3 for the whole A level - (Biology,Chemistry and Maths / Spanish)

As for level 2 fm I was talking about pure core cause looking at those papers I feel like I can do an adequate amount considering I'm yet to have a lesson of A level maths

I say if you enjoy maths then go for it! And like you said if it does get a bit too difficult then you can always drop it later on :P Doing 5AS levels isn't too bad as long as you have good time management when it comes to revision :smile:
Original post by zhang599
I say if you enjoy maths then go for it! And like you said if it does get a bit too difficult then you can always drop it later on :P Doing 5AS levels isn't too bad as long as you have good time management when it comes to revision :smile:

I wouldn't exactly say my time management skills are on fleek rn but that's partly due to the fact I'm still doing subjects that I don't enjoy and find boring to revise but yeah I agree with you

I'm doing the same as you, except I'm doing German instead of Spanish. I was also going to use the first few weeks of sixth form to try Further Maths. I really enjoy Maths and fin GCSE Maths quite simple. And also due to the new A level changes, I might do Further Maths in one year and then drop it after year 12, as most universities usually want it for one year.
Guys do you think 6 to maximum 9 A* is okay to get into Cambridge for Medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by natalia.medicine
Guys do you think 6 to maximum 9 A* is okay to get into Cambridge for Medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge place emphasis on your UMS marks at AS as opposed to the number of A* you have at GCSE.
Original post by xXxSharkxXx
Hey guys, I'm new to this thread so yeah.

GCSE Predicted Grades:

English Language A
English Literature C
Physics A
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Maths A*
Geography A*
History A*
Economics A
Citizenship A

So 5A*s 4As 1C - doubt I'm getting this though :frown: 5As 4Bs 1C probably.

AS choices - Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Geography
A2 choices - Biology, Chemistry, Maths

I probably won't get into med school but I really want to!

Good luck to you all - may the odds be ever in you favour.

Your grades and choices look fine!!

I chose the same alevels as you and now have an offer!!! I did intially like you intend to drop geography and continue with maths, but i found personally maths was hard and irrelevant and geography was interesting and current, my advice is dont get dead set on anything yet, test the waters and see what AS results bring!!

All the best of luck, believe in yourself, you honestly could get into medicine. If you need any help or advice please dont hesitate to ask!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys, I feel pretty dumb. Everyone's predicted like 11A* and I'm predicted 4A* 4As and 2Bs (the Bs are in English -.-) but in reality I'm probably gonna get like 2 A* 5As and then 3 Bs eurgh.

I really really want to go to Imperial but I feel like if I get grades like that for GCSE I'm basically never gonna get in.

And I go to a grammar school so I should do well. *cries*
[QUOTE=sububzi;56418601]Guys, I feel pretty dumb. Everyone's predicted like 11A* and I'm predicted 4A* 4As and 2Bs (the Bs are in English -.-) but in reality I'm probably gonna get like 2 A* 5As and then 3 Bs eurgh.

I really really want to go to Imperial but I feel like if I get grades like that for GCSE I'm basically never gonna get in.

And I go to a grammar school so I should do well. *cries*

Please don't feel like this. Predictions are just predictions! You can always do better if you work! I am sure you'll do great!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending