The Student Room Group

Academic dress

Does Cambridge have robes that you need to wear for matriculation, formal exams and such other occasions? I've never research the traditional aspects of the university, which is a bit stupid considering I'm going to be there in 6 months.

Also, similar to Oxford, do postgrads wear their own gowns from there previous university if they don't have a Cantab (or Oxon in our case)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You might be disappointed to hear that we don't have to wear gowns for exams.
Reply 2
Not even at matriculation?

I know Oxford goes way over the top on formality, but I'm surprised by the lack of tradition at Cambridge.
Reply 3
You'll need a gown for matriculation. Not sure whether you can wear your Oxford one though?
Reply 4
Actually I don't think you can wear your Oxford gown but will have to wear the Cambridge B.A. Status gown (which is the same as the Cambridge B.A. gown but without strings).
Reply 5
shiny
You'll need a gown for matriculation. Not sure whether you can wear your Oxford one though?

They don't look enough alike - you'll have to get a proper BA gown. They're about £50 second hand.
Reply 6
are the gowns only for post grads?
Reply 8
keithy
are the gowns only for post grads?

There are gowns for undergrads as well.
Reply 9
do we have to get one in the 1st week of going there?
Reply 10
d750
They don't look enough alike - you'll have to get a proper BA gown. They're about £50 second hand.

I ask because at Oxford, any person who is a graduates of another university may wear the academic dress of their university on any formal university occasion. But I suppose I would look rather silly at Cambridge in full subfusc.

Are there different gowns for different occasions? Or just a standard one?
Reply 11
BazTheMoney
I ask because at Oxford, any person who is a graduates of another university may wear the academic dress of their university on any formal university occasion. But I suppose I would look rather silly at Cambridge in full subfusc.

Just a standard one. Same as at Ox.
Reply 12
BazTheMoney

How often do we need to wear academic dress at Oxford? I'm joining the Dark Side in October!
Reply 13
shiny
How often do we need to wear academic dress at Oxford? I'm joining the Dark Side in October!

Full subfusc is just for matriculation and exams. Sometimes you just wear a gown over regular clothes (formal halls, other official-type-things etc...)
Reply 14
grey faerie
Full subfusc is just for matriculation and exams. Sometimes you just wear a gown over regular clothes (formal halls, other official-type-things etc...)

Saw a few people in military uniform during finals. Chumps. :smile:
Reply 15
d750
Saw a few people in military uniform during finals. Chumps. :smile:

If you're serving in the Armed Forces are allowed to wear your uniform together with a gown.

You need subfusc at graduation and Encaenia too.
Reply 16
hmm this is in the cambridge board....so is it the same or different for cam?
Reply 17
A bit off topic, but I was quite amused by rows and rows of people staying in uniform during exams. It was absolutely sweltering, but only a few would take off their gowns or jackets or loosen their ties. Funny how institutionalised people can become.
Reply 18
keithy
hmm this is in the cambridge board....so is it the same or different for cam?

Pretty much the same, but without sub fusc. Just a suit and gown.
Reply 19
d750
A bit off topic, but I was quite amused by rows and rows of people staying in uniform during exams. It was absolutely sweltering, but only a few would take off their gowns or jackets or loosen their ties. Funny how institutionalised people can become.

But is it true that subfusc only needs to be worn on entrance and exit from the building? So theoretically you could change into anything once you're inside?

Latest

Trending

Trending