The Student Room Group

Buying iphone 4 now?

So my mum needs a new phone. Frankly she doesn't use her phones for anything except the odd text and to make the occasional phone call.

She doesn't really need anything fancy but she'd quite like an iphone since she can then use facetime to see family (who all have iphones).

I might install whatsapp too so she can receive picture messages/videos and view free of charge.

So on that basis, it seems sufficient to buy her an iphone 4 (rather than 5 or 6 which still cost a fortune).

However will I encounter any other problems in her using such an old phone? I know the heavy app user would find it very difficult but compared to her light usage it seems a waste to buy her anything more expensive?

Found a 24 month contract which is £15 a month which includes a free iphone 4 with Carphone Warehouse.
The iPhone 4 / 4S phones haven't had the greatest of reviews with regards to iOS8.

Could you stretch to the 5C?
Reply 2
I still use a 4s and the only downsides: smaller screen, shorter battery life and not equipped for 4G. As you mentioned, your Mum is not a frequent user and 4 would fit her use. I read in a tech blog review that for text, calls and basic apps, 4/4s is suitable. If your Mum is a light user, she will be better off to buy unlocked 4/4s without contract at £200 or cheaper at Amazon/Ebay and just get Three PAYG top ups. Good idea to install Whatsapp, it will cut her phone bill.
Original post by Zerforax
So my mum needs a new phone. Frankly she doesn't use her phones for anything except the odd text and to make the occasional phone call.

She doesn't really need anything fancy but she'd quite like an iphone since she can then use facetime to see family (who all have iphones).

I might install whatsapp too so she can receive picture messages/videos and view free of charge.

So on that basis, it seems sufficient to buy her an iphone 4 (rather than 5 or 6 which still cost a fortune).

However will I encounter any other problems in her using such an old phone? I know the heavy app user would find it very difficult but compared to her light usage it seems a waste to buy her anything more expensive?

Found a 24 month contract which is £15 a month which includes a free iphone 4 with Carphone Warehouse.

Even with minimal usage, the iPhone 4 would be very slow. Additionally, some developers only make the latest versions of their apps available for those on the latest software - which is iOS 8, and the 4 runs iOS 7. Even apps like WhatsApp would be quite slow, so I recommend getting the 4S or 5C - both will last longer and not be quite as slow, plus the battery life will be better.
Reply 4
Why an iPhone? I'd be amazed if you couldn't find a cheaper deal, phone included, with one of the 'budget' android smartphones. They'd use the same apps and have the benefit of being current.
Reply 5
Original post by mikeyd85
The iPhone 4 / 4S phones haven't had the greatest of reviews with regards to iOS8.

Could you stretch to the 5C?

Well I found a iphone 4 for £15 a month whereas even 5C seems to be £25-30+?

Would I have to use a iOS8?

Original post by Tcannon
I still use a 4s and the only downsides: smaller screen, shorter battery life and not equipped for 4G. As you mentioned, your Mum is not a frequent user and 4 would fit her use. I read in a tech blog review that for text, calls and basic apps, 4/4s is suitable. If your Mum is a light user, she will be better off to buy unlocked 4/4s without contract at £200 or cheaper at Amazon/Ebay and just get Three PAYG top ups. Good idea to install Whatsapp, it will cut her phone bill.

Well I had a chat with her and she says she probably don't top up more than £10 a month (and that's on an expensive PAYG tariff). So £240 for the two years on top up + £200 to buy the phone. Compare that with £15 a month for 2 years and it works out cheaper I think (at £360)?

Original post by doctorwhofan98
Even with minimal usage, the iPhone 4 would be very slow. Additionally, some developers only make the latest versions of their apps available for those on the latest software - which is iOS 8, and the 4 runs iOS 7. Even apps like WhatsApp would be quite slow, so I recommend getting the 4S or 5C - both will last longer and not be quite as slow, plus the battery life will be better.

I don't think you understand how minimal her usage is. It's basically the odd call if she's out and about to check stuff - no more than a couple of minutes at a time. My mum is so bad with technology she can basically turn a phone on and off and make calls lol.

Original post by Drewski
Why an iPhone? I'd be amazed if you couldn't find a cheaper deal, phone included, with one of the 'budget' android smartphones. They'd use the same apps and have the benefit of being current.

Basically because she wants to use facetime. I think that is only for Apple products?
You can get a used 32GB 5 for about £200 on Amazon now, I have this phone and it's still fast, supported and runs smoothly. I'd say this is the oldest phone you should go for, the 4 has lost iOS support, the 4S will in a few months, and these are also heavy phones with small screens and the outdated dock connector - when you can get a phone with a bigger screen, better specs and the new lightning port for a little bit more money it's silly to hold yourself back.
The 4 is far too old and outdated now. iOS 7 basically grounded it to a halt and is no longer supported not even worth paying £15 a month for one. 4S is the minimum however a 5 or 5C would be ideal really.
Reply 8
If it's an iPhone you want to stick to - get the 4S; don't get the 4! if size isn't much of an issue. If you could extend your budget a little more then the 5C/5 or 5S would be much better.
I'd also recommend that if you are getting a phone that's been out for a while, that you buy it outright and go sim only/pay as you go instead of buying it on contract. If you end up with an old phone you don't want to be tied to it until 2017.
Original post by Zerforax
Well I found a iphone 4 for £15 a month whereas even 5C seems to be £25-30+?

Would I have to use a iOS8?

Well I had a chat with her and she says she probably don't top up more than £10 a month (and that's on an expensive PAYG tariff). So £240 for the two years on top up + £200 to buy the phone. Compare that with £15 a month for 2 years and it works out cheaper I think (at £360)?

I don't think you understand how minimal her usage is. It's basically the odd call if she's out and about to check stuff - no more than a couple of minutes at a time. My mum is so bad with technology she can basically turn a phone on and off and make calls lol.

Basically because she wants to use facetime. I think that is only for Apple products?

Fair enough on the price.

I'd recommend iOS8. Apps will start dropping iOS7 support at some time, though this may not be so bad for your mum.

Facetime is Apple only yes. :yep:
Iphone 4 is perfect for her.

But not that deal!!!!

£15 a month is a rip off!!!!

Your better off buying from ebay!
The iphone. 4s is 3 years old. Why would want to buy old tech
Original post by Drewski

It's all about the apple logo :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending