The Student Room Group

French pastpaper

1418830026608.jpg
Can u please help me correcting my work ?
I am a bit confused about when to use definite article and when to use indefinite article , can anyone please tell me ?

Thank youu!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is always beaucoup de even if the following noun is plural.
it should be

l'art moderne ( without de )

la musique moderne ( without de )
Original post by Lamalam
1418830026608.jpg
Can u please help me correcting my work ?
I am a bit confused about when to use definite article and when to use indefinite article , can anyone please tell me ?

Thank youu!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

A note on beaucoup:

Il aime beaucoup d'objets anciens = He likes lots of old objects
Il aime beaucoup les objets anciens = He likes old objects a lot

Beaucoup
is automatically followed by de (even with a plural noun) only if it means "lots of". In this case, that's not what the text means - here, the beaucoup means "a lot" and qualifies the verb aimer and not the noun, objets.

The previous poster, the bear, is quite right with his corrections. But the last two questions are similar and combine with my above comment:
Elle aime aussi beaucoup le sport et le cinéma japonais - because you're talking about whole categories; and again, the beaucoup qualifies the verb aime and not the nouns.

Hope this helps.
Reply 4
Original post by Anna Schoon
A note on beaucoup:

Beaucoup
is automatically followed by de (even with a plural noun) only if it means "lots of". In this case, that's not what the text means - here, the beaucoup means "a lot" and qualifies the verb aimer and not the noun, objets.

The previous poster, the bear, is quite right with his corrections. But the last two questions are similar and combine with my above comment:
Elle aime aussi beaucoup le sport et le cinéma japonais - because you're talking about whole categories; and again, the beaucoup qualifies the verb aime and not the nouns.

Hope this helps.

Oh thank you so much !!

so should I write "l' " in the sentence "Il aime beaucoup ____ objets anciens" . in the exercise?
thanks again!!!!! :smile:
I have a final exam tomorrow so i look forward to seeing your reply soon!
Reply 5
A note on beaucoup:

Beaucoup

Hope this helps.

Oh thank you so much !!

so should I write "l' " in the sentence "Il aime beaucoup ____ objets anciens" . in the exercise?
Original post by Lamalam
Oh thank you so much !!

If you think about it, you can't write "l'objets anciens" because objets is plural and "l' " can only be singular, for le or la: you have to say les objets anciens.

Good luck with your exam!
Original post by JamesJones777
It is always beaucoup de even if the following noun is plural.

Not always, just most of the time.

french.about

J'ai acheté une chemise dont beaucoup des boutons s'étaient détachés
I bought a shirt that a lot of the buttons had come off of
(I'm talking about the specific buttons on this particular shirt)

Beaucoup des idées de Jean-Luc sont intéressantes
A lot of Jean-Luc's ideas are interesting
(I'm not referring to ideas in general, but rather the specific ideas that Jean-Luc has)
Reply 8
If you think about it, you can't write "l'objets anciens" because objets is plural and "l' " can only be singular, for le or la: you have to say les objets anciens.

Good luck with your exam!

Thank you so much !!!! :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by xmarilynx
Not always, just most of the time.

Thank you !!!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending