The Student Room Group

Are single mothers the unsung heroes of modern Britain?

Single mothers are courageous and brave, making all sorts of sacrifices to help their children grow up despite the irresponsible deadbeat fathers who've dishonourably abandoned their families.

Single mothers deserve more help and assistance from the government so that all children can get a more fair upbringing. Raising children is very important and these wonderful women do all they can under difficult circumstances. If you care about children, shouldn't the government ease the burdens that single mothers face?

As an increasing percentage of women become single mothers because there aren't enough good men, we need to do more to congratulate and help them for all their hard work raising the next generation of British people. :smile:

Who else wants to show their appreciation for all the hard work single mothers do? Perhaps you are one of the many millions of children in the modern world raised by a single mother like me? Let's show our appreciation in this thread.

To the many future single mothers who read this - I salute you and all your efforts! :chaplin:

Scroll to see replies

There are also a lot of ****ty single parents that fail completely in raising their disgusting little whelps.
And that's making no mention of the single fathers who also struggle to cope with the pressures of parenthood. This OP is so conceited it's laughable.
No, they can't even teach their young boys not to rape.
Original post by Sulpha
I'd rather the government spent the money on developing the male pill. Of course it wont happen because birth rates would plummet.

Give men control over when they want children instead of the current system of handing him a life sentence with little sympathy or support. At the same time the woman is given every right possible; abortion, state support; money from the husband etc.

Don't want a child? Wrap up.
Original post by Sulpha
Completely wrong stereotypical societal attitude - Blame it on the man.

Even though men wrap up all the time and still end up with life sentences.

You should take the precautionary measures to ensure that you don't get someone pregnant if you do not want a child. Obviously it is not a 100% guarantee that it is going to work but 99.9% is good enough for me.

Also it isn't a life sentence. It is 18 years, so if you don't want that sentence you should protect your own interests and wrap up.
Reply 5
No of course not. There are plenty of single fathers too.

There are plenty of kids with no mother or father.

I've seen loads of your utter **** on your threads about woman and feminism but seriously, your ignorance to think that it's just single mothers who are these incredible courageous people, and often not fathers or other people entirely who can raise children just amazes me.

I cannot explain how much I hope this thread is a troll.
More often than not they make kids with useless men and wonder why he's not superdad
Original post by Sulpha
No mate it's a life commitment. Most 18 year olds can't support themselves in the modern world.

Good advice on people taking precautionary methods if they don't want a child :congrats::congrats:, you should work for the advisory board of the NHS.

Ultimately, they should bring out a male pill and society shouldn't suddenly get all sympathetic when a woman forgets her pill and start blaming the bloke for not being cautious enough.

Most women already take precautionary measure to ensure they do not get pregnant. I don't even want a male pill I would never remember to take it. The condom works just fine. I don't want anyone fiddling with my hormones or my balls.

You have no legal obligation to support your child after the age of 18 (or maybe it is 16, I'm not too sure). Either way, if you want to stop you can.

What is your issue with the condom? It works, most of the time.
Reply 8
Original post by SocialJustice
Single mothers are courageous and brave, making all sorts of sacrifices to help their children grow up despite the irresponsible deadbeat fathers who've dishonourably abandoned their families.

Single mothers deserve more help and assistance from the government so that all children can get a more fair upbringing. Raising children is very important and these wonderful women do all they can under difficult circumstances. If you care about children, shouldn't the government ease the burdens that single mothers face?

As an increasing percentage of women become single mothers because there aren't enough good men, we need to do more to congratulate and help them for all their hard work raising the next generation of British people. :smile:

Who else wants to show their appreciation for all the hard work single mothers do? Perhaps you are one of the many millions of children in the modern world raised by a single mother like me? Let's show our appreciation in this thread.

To the many future single mothers who read this - I salute you and all your efforts! :chaplin:

While many single mothers do do great things for their children this post ignores the fact that many also raise children who are the dregs of society and perhaps more importantly involves the many cases where the woman is the cause of the relationship failure, such as if she cheats.
Single mothers sort of have to do what they do otherwise who else will look after the kid....so no they are not heroes and don't deserve any type of recognition.
Original post by DiddyDec
No, they can't even teach their young boys not to rape.

For the millionth time, teaching not to rape is absolutely futile.
Not really, no.

I also resent the notion that all single mothers are the consequence of "dishonourable men."

Ridiculous.
Original post by bittr n swt
Single mothers sort of have to do what they do otherwise who else will look after the kid....so no they are not heroes and don't deserve any type of recognition.

The dad?
I think all single parents that genuinely try for their children deserve credit for their work, I was raised just by my mum and saw how hard it is, especially on minimum wage.

If anything, I think benefits should stop being thrown at those who sit on their arses all day with no intentions of ever working and given to those working hard but still genuinely can't make ends meet.
I think people throw around the word hero too much, and single mothers (for me at least) don't really seem to fit the term properly.

As for this discussion on a male pill that's occurred, I wish that such a thing were able to exist.
Men currently only have condoms as a measure of protection, and it seems that an increasing amount of women that I read about online don't like condoms due to the feel. Also you can have issues with falling off or getting ripped during sex which feels like it's more likely to happen than the pill messing up (forgetting to take the pill is a different issue though)

Yet women have all these other types, and if the couple choose not to use condoms, it falls directly down to the woman and not the man. You say that men can wrap up, but if the woman outright refuses? And then if she tells you she's on a contraceptive pill/injection/that metal coil thingy, then you'd probably believe her if you were planning to have sex with her (I assume that one night stands are different, and generally other than that people tend to have sex with people they know and trust more), but she can lie, she can forget, none of these are the man's fault yet he deals with the responsibility. If a male pill came out, so many women would probably support it, because to them it's no longer letting the deal of contraception be on their part, which usually has been down to the woman (except in the case of condomds).

I know that didn't have much to do with OP (with a username like social justice I'm not getting anywhere near that user) but I didn't really read her post, and my first comment was a response to the question.

(& I'd argue due to stereotypes that women make better mother figures and all men are paedos that single fathers are probably more impressive than single mothers, but it depends on the parent, and the kid(s) obviously and is not a blanket statement for everyone)
Original post by Le Nombre
The dad?

the dad isn't there which makes mothers single einstein...so bviously mothers have to take the buck
Reply 16
Implying being a single mother means the father abandoned them.
no - they're usually pretty irresponsible people (which is why many of them are single/unmarried mothers in the first place), they get child support and they also get benefits. they usually don't have a job either.
Original post by zippity.doodah
no - they're usually pretty irresponsible people (which is why many of them are single/unmarried mothers in the first place), they get child support and they also get benefits. they usually don't have a job either.

thats a harsh stigma to put against single mothers / fathers
there is a massive sigma with single parents to be lay sit on benefits and do nothing with there lives or that the child / children are brats, naughty, unruly behavior, commit crime and are generally all tied with the same brush.
i am a single mother i have a full time career and i am not currently looking into doing my degree in law. my son bright intelligent clever has been bought up with manners he is polite he is a true little gentleman ive taught him how women and men should be respected.
so all the people who think single parents are lazy and don't care... get your heads out of the sand and look at the bigger picture ok because its people who tie people like me in the same brush have children and make them believe that this is what single parents are like
also no its not always the man who walks away and no not all the time the male is to blame but there are young people who have one night stands and bring babies into this world and the male does not always want to stand around so then its back to square one with a single mother... benefits are there to help people although i do not claim myself never have and never will there are there to support people who are not in a position to work and its not just young single parents its all types of people. there are so many naive people in the world who have no idea how hard it is to do what working single parents do everyday.
so stop saying its always the dad who walks away its mothers who turn there back as well and the government are there to support people even people who go to uni if it was not for the government 90% of students could not do there degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending