The Student Room Group

Has anyone got any good revision techniques?

I am really struggling with AS Chemistry. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Place potato on textbook. Said Potato will absorb knowledge. Subsequently make jacket potato out of potato. Eat potato and consume information.
KhanAcademy on youtube, he's the best
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Place potato on textbook. Said Potato will absorb knowledge. Subsequently make jacket potato out of potato. Eat potato and consume information.

Ok, will try it.
Hey,
I would recommend revision cards, their fast and effective. You can take them anywhere and its a really quick way to learn keywords and important facts. So in your case, for chemistry, you could do things like balancing equations etc. :smile:
Doing past papers as much as possible always helps, first of all. In terms of actually learning the topics I found condensing notes in little flashcard books helped a lot, though I did this with biology and not chemistry.

Something like this (http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/whsmith-revision-cards/36360123) helps a bunch: not only do you write out your notes again to aid memory, but you can refer to them later!

Yours,
Grey
Might not be as useful for Chemistry, but with Psychology I get a few different textbooks and for each topic take the best/preferred condensed information and rewrite it all in my own words, so it's easier for me to understand, remember and replicate.

Actually worked better than expected, had a mock exam today and managed to completely remember 2 full essays after only 2 days working on them!

In Maths I tend to just do past paper after past paper, like others have said, I think Khan academy is highly rated although I don't use it myself. When you're doing past papers for the first time, don't set a time limit, or restrict yourself. Use all your notes, mark schemes, google answers etc. so you fully know and understand. Then as you re-do past papers you can set yourself a time limit, and use no notes at all and you'll definitely find that you've remembered loads of it.

(Flashcards are quite good too, closer to exam time though.)
Original post by ThenameisGrey
Doing past papers as much as possible always helps, first of all. In terms of actually learning the topics I found condensing notes in little flashcard books helped a lot, though I did this with biology and not chemistry.

Something like this (http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/whsmith-revision-cards/36360123) helps a bunch: not only do you write out your notes again to aid memory, but you can refer to them later!

Yours,
Grey

Thank-you, I may well invest in some of those, they look like they'll suit the purpose perfectly. :smile:
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible

Interesting... :rolleyes:
Original post by NBSparklin
Hey,
I would recommend revision cards, their fast and effective. You can take them anywhere and its a really quick way to learn keywords and important facts. So in your case, for chemistry, you could do things like balancing equations etc. :smile:

Thank-you! I will try those. :smile:
With chemistry you have to understand things so read textbook. Wathh vids etc

Don't bother trying to memorise or flashcards as you'll be caught out
Original post by xoflower
KhanAcademy on youtube, he's the best

Thanks, I checked it out, will definitely be watching more! :smile:
Original post by blackened_sky
Might not be as useful for Chemistry, but with Psychology I get a few different textbooks and for each topic take the best/preferred condensed information and rewrite it all in my own words, so it's easier for me to understand, remember and replicate.

Actually worked better than expected, had a mock exam today and managed to completely remember 2 full essays after only 2 days working on them!

In Maths I tend to just do past paper after past paper, like others have said, I think Khan academy is highly rated although I don't use it myself. When you're doing past papers for the first time, don't set a time limit, or restrict yourself. Use all your notes, mark schemes, google answers etc. so you fully know and understand. Then as you re-do past papers you can set yourself a time limit, and use no notes at all and you'll definitely find that you've remembered loads of it.

(Flashcards are quite good too, closer to exam time though.)

Okay, thank you! :smile:
Original post by bittr n swt
With chemistry you have to understand things so read textbook. Wathh vids etc

Don't bother trying to memorise or flashcards as you'll be caught out

I will try to watch more vids on YouTube, such as Khan's Academy, thank you. :smile: I do find flashcards help for key terms and the like though.
Reply 14
if you do OCR check out the cd at back of the book, quite good.

Quick Reply