The Student Room Group

"Nerds/geeks Are Politer, Friendlier People And Nicer To Women"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gwilym101
Anita Sarkessian
Gamergate

Two things that beat the title to death, burn the remains and then piss on the ashes.

This thread is basically saying "Gamer geeks have a bad rep" Yay for being a networking geek! :biggrin: - Back to revision I go...
Weeabo's. Weeabo's are as bad.
How can it be almost 2015 and there still be people who don't get that there are 7 billion people around so every stereotype you can think of is contradicted countless times.
Reply 23
Neckbeards are only a small portion or the nerd spectrum
Original post by the bear
i watched a marvellous film this week which dealt with exactly this question:

Slaughter High.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrj8ILC_Cqg

a nerd/geek character has difficulties arising from the jock/meathead members of the High School community.

You can catch this film tonight on Freeview:

4 Music

10pm
Original post by Anonymous
Where did this bull**** stereotype come from? In my experience, it is usually the opposite.

Disregarding the fact that "jocks v geeks" isn't exactly a great way to describe real life, I happen to have both "geeky/nerdy" sorts and both in my social circle. I've noticed that the geeks/nerds, while intelligent and often great mates if you want a good intellectual conversation, are often also incredibly bitter towards women and socially stunted.

Of course you can be socially awkward and still be "nice," but sometimes the lack of social skills leads to downright rudeness without them even intending to be like that. I've noticed my nerdy/geeky mates are the most likely to say something downright socially inappropriate and then complain that the other party is being "oversensitive," or be inconsiderate but apply double standards when they themselves are upset over something or want to be catered to. They are also often borderline hipsterish in whining about people who "conform".

So where did this notion of "the nice nerdy guy" come from? IMO it's completely false. They may not necessarily be nastier, but they certainly aren't nicer.

Your anecdotal experiences with what must be a relatively small number of people aren't a reliable basis for categorising entire groups of people in 'nasty' and 'nice'. Frankly it sounds to me like you are resentful towards nerdier guys more than anything else.
Reply 26
Original post by Birkenhead
Your anecdotal experiences with what must be a relatively small number of people aren't a reliable basis for categorising entire groups of people in 'nasty' and 'nice'. Frankly it sounds to me like you are resentful towards nerdier guys more than anything else.

She has been posting vaguely different threads denigrating nerds, hipsters and the like for well over a year now under a bunch of different accounts. Definitely some resentment involved here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending