The Student Room Group

A person who is "normal" dating someone who has an illness

Scroll to see replies

Original post by matthewduncan
Like learning dificulties
Or you know them people who are like 20 something years old but have the brains of 8 year olds.
Only asking cos i remember reading someone on here (cant remember the tread) saying that they dont agree with it because the person is probably trying to take advantage.
what are your views

Then I would question if they had the ability to consent. At which point I think it would be immoral for an able minded person to date or have sex with them.
Reply 21
Original post by Zargabaath
But an illness by definition is a deviation from the norm, hence not normal. His wording was fine. I seriously doubt OP was trying to cause offence or anything by this. At least it doesn't read that way to me.

OP may not have purposely meant to insult or cause offence i understand that but i don't feel it's right to imply that someone is not normal because they have an illness. It's terms like 'not normal' that cause people with illnesses, to feel excluded. I dont even like the word illness its not really an illness, that implies theres something wrong, it's a condition.

P.S. before anyone starts on the whole technically there is something wrong with them. Don't. Most people who have any type of condition view themselves as being normal they dont need anyone telling them otherwise.

Sorry for the massive rant but i feel this had to be said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophieSmall
Then I would question if they had the ability to consent. At which point I think it would be immoral for an able minded person to date or have sex with them.

i agree with this.
i would go as far as to say that people that do this are predators.
also i think you was the person that i got the thread idea from
Original post by Shaffa
OP may not have purposely meant to insult or cause offence i understand that but i don't feel it's right to imply that someone is not normal because they have an illness. It's terms like 'not normal' that cause people with illnesses, to feel excluded. I dont even like the word illness its not really an illness, that implies theres something wrong, it's a condition.

P.S. before anyone starts on the whole technically there is something wrong with them. Don't. Most people who have any type of condition view themselves as being normal they dont need anyone telling them otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah apologies for the wording.
They are very normal but not in the same way as you and me i,e they are intellectually challenged.
Original post by Shaffa

Posted from TSR Mobile

I appreciate your sentiment however you're wrong. If there was nothing wrong with them then they wouldn't have an illness. The definition of illness is that they are both abnormal and that they have something wrong with them where "wrong" is defined as a disability with regards to one's ability to fully function in society.

Of course that is not to say that we should frown upon them, treat them like dogs, lock them up in asylums, call them crazy and otherwise ignore everything they say. Obviously not. But to suggest that they are perfectly fine would be to completely miss the point. The whole idea of mental illness is that by definition a world in which nobody was mentally ill is a world that is better, at least in the long-run if not the short-run but probably in the short-run too.
Reply 25
Original post by TorpidPhil
I appreciate your sentiment however you're wrong. If there was nothing wrong with them then they wouldn't have an illness. The definition of illness is that they are both abnormal and that they have something wrong with them where "wrong" is defined as a disability with regards to one's ability to fully function in society.

Of course that is not to say that we should frown upon them, treat them like dogs, lock them up in asylums, call them crazy and otherwise ignore everything they say. Obviously not. But to suggest that they are perfectly fine would be to completely miss the point. The whole idea of mental illness is that by definition a world in which nobody was mentally ill is a world that is better, at least in the long-run if not the short-run but probably in the short-run too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by matthewduncan
i agree with this.
i would go as far as to say that people that do this are predators.
also i think you was the person that i got the thread idea from

Really? I don't remember any recent posts I made in relation to this. If it was me then, woop.
Reply 27
Original post by TorpidPhil

I understand your point of view and i know that those with mental health conditions or any type of condition aren't perfectly fine i acknowledge that but my point is that they shouldn't be acknowledged as something abnormal or not normal, yes they have a condition that restricts them in some ways but they shouldn't be labelled as indifferent because of it, we're all humans after all. Yes it would probably be better if we can live in a world where no one had any sort of condition that would be great, but sadly thats not the case and i think everyone should feel accepted regardless whether they have a condition or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shaffa

I disagree, having an illness literally means you aren't in a normal state. To say we should imply otherwise, to me, trivialises illness and it leads to people not taking it seriously enough. In the long run, this causes more harm to people.

EDIT: I read your newer replies and I sort of agree with what you're getting at. People shouldn't be excluded or alienated for having an illness (to an extent). But I do think someone can be treated fairly, without being seen as "normal"
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending