The Student Room Group

Girls, Would You Date Someone Shorter Than You?

So basically, I'm about 5 foot 7, and a girl I have a crush on is about 5 foot 8, 5 foot 9. I've thought about asking her out, but am a bit unsure as to whether she herself would consider this an issue, and also the possibility of being ridiculed by others about the issue. I've taken a fair amount of stick about my height, and have been the butt of jokes because of it for years from friends and such, and was once rejected by a girl before because she was an inch taller than me, (5 foot 8 or so). So, naturally, I'm approaching this with a bit of trepidation this time around.

I was just wondering if I could get some opinions from any girls on here as to whether it's really that big of an issue, or if maybe I'm just building this up too much in my head?

Scroll to see replies

Personally, no. In fact it is a big turn off for me! I'm female and I'm 5ft 9! I like wearing heels which would make me look like the BFG next to a short man!
Reply 2
I wouldn't care about height as long as there isn't a drastic difference. In the end, all that matters is personality right?
:tongue:
Reply 3
Don't bother
I'm about 5ft 9, and whilst I'd prefer to date someone taller, a guy being an inch or so smaller than me isn't a deal breaker personally. What's way more important is personality and if I'm attracted to them.
In fact, sometimes when I wear heels it's great being taller than all the guys in the room lol
Personally probably not, though I'd never say never. My ex was the same height as me (between 5ft6 and 5ft7)..Though he used to claim to be 5"8 for some reason, even though it was pretty obvious he wasn't. I just like it when the guy is taller, I don't see how that's any shallower than guys preferring big boobs or long legs?
I personally am not that fussed if a guy is shorter than me. As someone's already said, as long there isn't there isn't a drastic difference there shouldn't be a problem. You're only like 2/3 inches shorter. No big deal!
Original post by Sulpha
Oh for goodness sake, why are you anonymous ?

Some of the things people on this forum go anonymous over are ridiculous.

Because . . .I want to? :confused::confused: If I didn't, there would be a smart arse responding with my remark in terms of not dating a short arse guy - resulting in calling me shallow and etc.
I prefer taller guys, but it would depend on the situation. I'm about 5'10 I think, so if I was wearing heels I'd dwarf a short guy. But it depends on the situation, how much I liked the guy, and such. I've dated two guys the same height as me and that wasn't a problem.
Yes. I have a thing for shorter guys, I do not even know why. I have dated them before and would date them in the future.
Original post by Anonymous
So basically, I'm about 5 foot 7, and a girl I have a crush on is about 5 foot 8, 5 foot 9. I've thought about asking her out, but am a bit unsure as to whether she herself would consider this an issue, and also the possibility of being ridiculed by others about the issue. I've taken a fair amount of stick about my height, and have been the butt of jokes because of it for years from friends and such, and was once rejected by a girl before because she was an inch taller than me, (5 foot 8 or so). So, naturally, I'm approaching this with a bit of trepidation this time around.

I was just wondering if I could get some opinions from any girls on here as to whether it's really that big of an issue, or if maybe I'm just building this up too much in my head?

Bottom line is, you won't find out her opinion from here.
The only way you'll find out if it's an issue for the girl you like is by asking her out.
Original post by Sulpha
Is it difficult being 5 ft 10 with the opposite gender ?

As a girl?
A little, because a lot of guys like girls shorter than them anyway. But otherwise, I think I prefer being tall. I can reach shelves on my own, have a better view at concerts and have longer legs. So there are some advantages!
Original post by Sulpha
Generally as an adult, you shouldn't live in fear of people judging you to the extent where you need to post anonymously on an internet forum over something so trivial.

For arguments sake, that's why I've posted anonymous - can't be bothered with the potential comments that could come back from my comment which can appear shallow to some.
Original post by Sulpha
Yeah was just wondering since 5 ft 10 is like the average male height in the UK.

Advantages sound good though.

Yeah, I had a friend (female) who was like 6 foot. Probably a lot tougher on her :tongue:
Original post by abbiemac
As a girl?
A little, because a lot of guys like girls shorter than them anyway. But otherwise, I think I prefer being tall. I can reach shelves on my own, have a better view at concerts and have longer legs. So there are some advantages!

I'm the opposite of most guys, I prefer girls closer to my height, they tend to be lookers and I feel more comfortable around them, plus it saves me looking down(don't want neck pain :smile: ), I'm 6'1 myself(that or 6'2)
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Personally probably not, though I'd never say never. My ex was the same height as me (between 5ft6 and 5ft7)..Though he used to claim to be 5"8 for some reason, even though it was pretty obvious he wasn't. I just like it when the guy is taller, I don't see how that's any shallower than guys preferring big boobs or long legs?

I wouldn't say guys discriminant to the degree women do to height. Plus there is no consensus really among men as to what is the best breast size. It's very much a personal preference thing.
Original post by marco14196
I'm the opposite of most guys, I prefer girls closer to my height, they tend to be lookers and I feel more comfortable around them, plus it saves me looking down(don't want neck pain :smile: ), I'm 6'1 myself(that or 6'2)

That's a brilliant height.

Yeah wouldn't it be really inconvenient for you if you went with a 5'2 girl? You'd have to be in constant squat position
Original post by abbiemac
That's a brilliant height.

Yeah wouldn't it be really inconvenient for you if you went with a 5'2 girl? You'd have to be in constant squat position

Given I pulled my back the other week, it would be an awful inconvenience if I wound up with someone around 5'2. Too many impracticalities with it. I love my height though, helps me stand out a bit as it goes
Probably not, but then again I'm just over 5'2 so it isn't ever an issue :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by marco14196
Given I pulled my back the other week, it would be an awful inconvenience if I wound up with someone around 5'2. Too many impracticalities with it. I love my height though, helps me stand out a bit as it goes

Yeah.. Maybe short people should just stick with short people and tall people with tall people :tongue: it would make things a lot simpler.

Most girls prefer taller guys as well so you've got it pretty good going :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending