The Student Room Group

Do we need a "YES MEANS YES" law in the UK?

Poll

Which sexual assault law do you prefer?

California recently passed a "Yes Means Yes" law replacing "no means no" on college campuses, which requires affirmative consent throughout sexual activity. Under the law, lack of protest, silence or previous sexual history no longer means consent.

The burden of proof in rape cases will therefore be on the man to prove he had consent, rather than on women to prove she didn't consent. This will make it easier to find rapists guilty. :smile:

Given the oppressive rape culture that we live in, do we need government regulations in our bedrooms?

Scroll to see replies

Surely chastity belts would be better?
Reply 2
what the hell does this mean i have to ask my gf everytime

do i have to make her sign a bloody (hmm maybe an inappropriate choice of word) contract
Rape: The only crime in the justice system where it's on the accused to prove their innocence as opposed to the accuser to provide evidence for the accused's guilt.

We're devaluing our whole justice system to appease feminists.

Lol, end well, this will.

In the end LOGIC will prevail, no doubt about it, logic will crush ''yes means yes'' laws.

Logic was formulated through thousands of year exclusively by men, beginning with the antithesis of feminism Aristotle himself, and in Logic we trust.
(edited 9 years ago)
Only insane people would claim that 'making it easier to find people guilty' is a good thing. I'll refer you to Blackstone's law: 'it is better that 10 guilty men go free, than 1 innocent man be wrongly charged'.
Reply 6
Original post by SocialJustice
California recently passed a "Yes Means Yes" law replacing "no means no" on college campuses, which requires affirmative consent throughout sexual activity. Under the law, lack of protest, silence or previous sexual history no longer means consent.

The burden of proof in rape cases will therefore be on the man to prove he had consent, rather than on women to prove she didn't consent. This will make it easier to find rapists guilty. :smile:

Given the oppressive rape culture that we live in, do we need government regulations in our bedrooms?

I've opted not to pick a poll option on the basis that while i do believe in consent it's not always verbal. If i kiss a woman and finger her then x her and she's reciprocating then that's license to have sex with her so long as she does not say stop.

It's easier for a woman to prove she said no than visa versa so i'll keep the status quo.
Reply 7
Original post by tomfailinghelp
'it is better that 10 guilty men go free, than 1 innocent man be wrongly charged'.

Really?
Reply 8
This doesn't mean that it will be on the accused to prove consent, they still have to be found guilty beyond reasonable doubt.
Reply 9
Ridiculous.

Out of all of the sexual encounters ever somehow I don't think many happened via the horribly unsexy "can I have sex with you" mood-killer.
No, we need a false rape law

men should force the govt to create a law where women who cry rape falsely are then sentenced as a rapist
Original post by SocialJustice
The burden of proof in rape cases will therefore be on the man to prove he had consent

How do you prove this without carrying a recording device with you your entire life and make the girl speak clearly into the microphone?
Original post by Snagprophet
How do you prove this without carrying a recording device with you your entire life and make the girl speak clearly into the microphone?

A GoPro duct tapped to your face?
more feminist drivel designed to put innocent people in prison.
Original post by faith9320
Really?

Yes. Blackstone's statement is one of the foundations of a modern legal system. It's the result of thousands of years of legal theory. If you honestly can't see why its bad then I encourage you to hunt down some relevant jurisprudence and educate yourself.

As for the OP - yeah, YES MEANS YES laws are bull**** and an insult to justice.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Never once actually asked someone if they wanted sex. Never once had someone say No/stop. Never once raped anyone.

There is no need for a change in the law.
You're still going?!

See OP, this is not moderate at all. This could result in a woman coming onto a man, who withdraws before things escalate-and then the woman filing a false rape accusation, which the man cannot defend, and his life ruined.
Shouldn't the burden of proof be on the prosecution, rather than the defendant?

Besides, how are you going to prove consent (or lack of) when most cases will involve only the two people having sex with only verbal communication used?
Original post by faith9320
Really?

Yes, really. You'd have a hard time finding a sane lawyer/law student/jurisprudential scholar who disagreed with this.
Reply 19
No, that law is stupid. What we need is a 'yes yes yes means yes' law. Consent can be withdrawn at any time, so it's completely irrelevant whether they said 'yes' at the beginning. What we need is for the woman to say "yes yes yes" throughout the entire act. Only then can we be half-sure she isn't being raped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending