The Student Room Group

KCL VS QMUL help!!!

Would I be stupid to turn down Kings college London for Queen Mary's? It's for history
Depends if you prefer Queen Mary to KCL
Original post by mflm
Would I be stupid to turn down Kings college London for Queen Mary's? It's for history

What do you prefer about each?
Original post by ageshallnot
What do you prefer about each?

I prefer the way Queens is campus based and I feel it would be less competitive than kings. I'm just worried it would be a mistake to turn down kings as it's quite 'prestigious'
Original post by mflm
I prefer the way Queens is campus based and I feel it would be less competitive than kings. I'm just worried it would be a mistake to turn down kings as it's quite 'prestigious'

Although QMUL has a campus, is that mainly a factor for the first year rather than all three?

What exactly do you mean by King's being 'more competitive' than QMUL? That King's will have better students? If so, is that not a positive rather than a negative given that you will learn from each other in seminars and (possibly) through group work?

One of the key factors you should consider is the course content. Look at the modules for each uni and make a list of what you would be studying in each term/semester. Which uni do you prefer on this basis?
Original post by ageshallnot
Although QMUL has a campus, is that mainly a factor for the first year rather than all three?

What exactly do you mean by King's being 'more competitive' than QMUL? That King's will have better students? If so, is that not a positive rather than a negative given that you will learn from each other in seminars and (possibly) through group work?

One of the key factors you should consider is the course content. Look at the modules for each uni and make a list of what you would be studying in each term/semester. Which uni do you prefer on this basis?

I've looked at the course content and both appeal to me Id be happy with either! by more competitive I mean it would be harder to obtain a first and I'm not the brightest student either.

I'm also worried that Kings will be less sociable? part of university for me is the social aspect. But then people have said going to kings would provide better job prospects due to it being acknowledged as a prestigious uni
Don't get too hung up over prestige - both are good universities. The difference between them is negligible in comparison to what some people forego to go to some universities (my EPQ supervisor turned down Cambridge for Stirling). I've spoken to lots of students who've turned down KCL, UCL and LSE for QMUL, so don't worry about it!
I'm in the same position! I'm stuck between Politics at KCL and Politics an law at QMUL :confused: Think ultimately I'll go to Kings because I'm not sure if law is the right choice for me.. Plus It's a shorter commute. But I'm going to wait for the applicant days before making a decision
Original post by mflm
I've looked at the course content and both appeal to me Id be happy with either! by more competitive I mean it would be harder to obtain a first and I'm not the brightest student either.

I'm also worried that Kings will be less sociable? part of university for me is the social aspect. But then people have said going to kings would provide better job prospects due to it being acknowledged as a prestigious uni

According to Unistats, 41% of King's History students get a First and 59% a 2.1. The equivalent figures for QMUL are 16% and 64%. Given those figures do you still think it's harder to get a First at King's?

I can't comment on the social side, but I do think that King's is appreciably better for History. However, only go there if you will thrive.
Original post by Exceptional
Don't get too hung up over prestige - both are good universities. The difference between them is negligible in comparison to what some people forego to go to some universities (my EPQ supervisor turned down Cambridge for Stirling). I've spoken to lots of students who've turned down KCL, UCL and LSE for QMUL, so don't worry about it!

I know this is 3 years late but if you think QMUL is similar to KCL you are deluded. QMUL is one of the weakest in the Russell group and KCL ranks near the top after LSE ICL and UCL.
Focus on modules and see which ones appeal most.
Original post by JaqenH'gar
I know this is 3 years late but if you think QMUL is similar to KCL you are deluded. QMUL is one of the weakest in the Russell group and KCL ranks near the top after LSE ICL and UCL.

Where does manchester uni stand in the russel? if your such an 'expert'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending