The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

MSc Petroleum Engineering 2015/2016

Hi

Has anyone applied for MSc Petroleum Engineering?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I applied, but for undergrad. So it's BEng integrated with Masters at University of Leeds :smile: starting next September :smile: :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Good luck to you :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks. Where did you get your degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HisServant
Hi

Has anyone applied for MSc Petroleum Engineering?

LOL! I have another friend who applied for the programme this year. And she got her offer after 15 days as well.
Congrats once again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
wow! you have many friends taking MSc Petroleum Eng. why don't you join Petroleum Eng also? :biggrin::biggrin:
wow! you have many friends taking MSc Petroleum Eng. why don't you join Petroleum Eng also? :biggrin::biggrin:

LOL! It's my 2nd choice this time around... Who knows? 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Why do you want to study Petroleum Engineering now? Is it worth studyng MSc in Petroleum Engineering in 2015/2016 given the current price of crude oil (50 $/barrel)? Especially, knowing that almost all oil companies are having huge losses and will cancel their projects I fear that this situation will translate in no employment opportunities for new petroleum engineering graduates or even worse dismissal of current employees.
Why to prefer Imperial College London to Heriot Watt which has more connection and reputation in Petroleum Engineering?
What is the employment rate of Imperial College's Petroleum graduates?
Original post by diekevin
Why do you want to study Petroleum Engineering now? Is it worth studyng MSc in Petroleum Engineering in 2015/2016 given the current price of crude oil (50 $/barrel)? Especially, knowing that almost all oil companies are having huge losses and will cancel their projects I fear that this situation will translate in no employment opportunities for new petroleum engineering graduates or even worse dismissal of current employees.
Why to prefer Imperial College London to Heriot Watt which has more connection and reputation in Petroleum Engineering?

Definitely agree with this. Apart from all of the ethical problems, I think going into petroleum now is probably a pretty big gamble. You're basically gambling that governments will be too weak to stick to their emissions agreements. Given that most countries have agreed to work to prevent a global temperature rise of more than two degrees Celsius, the majority of the existing reserves will become stranded resources, not to mention any unexplored reserves. It doesn't take a genius to work out that it's incredibly unlikely that governments are going to take this target seriously, but the environmental movements are gathering momentum and particularly if you look at countries like the UK and Germany, one genuinely has to wonder whether the petroleum corporations have a future. China's market is probably going to continue growing, but still.
Reply 9
Original post by diekevin

Current oil price is not a concern for me because if you look in 2008, the price dropped to $30 a barrel. But last year i think it reached somewhere around $110. So things will stabilise and the price will eventually go up. It's just because of the Saudis unwillingness to reduce its output, the discovery of shale oil in the US and a weaker demand from China. Classic supply-demand thing. As for employment opportunities, your concern is correct. Several major oil companies have already dismissed their employees. They say it's part of their "restructuring programme". The job opportunities are there, but it's gonna be hard. But hey, the competition is always there right? I prefer Imperial because it's in London lol. I think it there isn't much different between the two. You just need to get good grades.
Reply 10
Current oil price is not a concern for me because if you look in 2008, the price dropped to $30 a barrel. But last year i think it reached somewhere around $110. So things will stabilise and the price will eventually go up. It's just because of the Saudis unwillingness to reduce its output, the discovery of shale oil in the US and a weaker demand from China. Classic supply-demand thing. As for employment opportunities, your concern is correct. Several major oil companies have already dismissed their employees. They say it's part of their "restructuring programme". The job opportunities are there, but it's gonna be hard. But hey, the competition is always there right? I prefer Imperial because it's in London lol. I think it there isn't much different between the two. You just need to get good grades.

Absolutley right. At the end of the day supply and demand will always fluctuate due to the conflicting interests of OPEC and its competitors, as well as other reasons (natural disasters etc...). What's important is that processing and extraction of carbon based fuels will not just stop overnight, and until renewables gain enough momentum (economically viable and commercially available) then there will always be job opportunities for Petroleum Engineers; until supplies wither of course...

I am also part of the 2015/16 intake btw.
Nice post
what uni are you going to and what Alevels did you do?
im also looking to apply next year
Original post by KRDXB
Absolutley right. At the end of the day supply and demand will always fluctuate due to the conflicting interests of OPEC and its competitors, as well as other reasons (natural disasters etc...). What's important is that processing and extraction of carbon based fuels will not just stop overnight, and until renewables gain enough momentum (economically viable and commercially available) then there will always be job opportunities for Petroleum Engineers; until supplies wither of course...

Reply 12
Original post by schindlers list
Nice post
what uni are you going to and what Alevels did you do?
im also looking to apply next year

Thanks. I've completed my BEng at the University of Nottingham. Did maths, physics and geography.
Reply 13
Original post by KRDXB

Hi, finally found someone who are going to be my classmate. lol. Are you home student?
Reply 14
Hi, finally found someone who are going to be my classmate. lol. Are you home student?

Yeh, how about you ?
Hi guys. Just thought I should put this here. There's a Facebook group for postgrad applicants and offer holders:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1559513240929943?ref=bookmark

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Hey,
I am an international student, admitted into MSc Pet Eng in Imperial coming Sept.
I was aksed to pay a deposit of 2600 UK pound. Just me or every other international student had to fork out that sum too?
Reply 17
Hi

I think if you're a self sponsored student then yes, you have to pay the deposit. Btw where are you from?
Hi all,

I'm considering to apply however I'm currently a final year undergrad. Does anyone know what the admissions policy with regard to undergrads is? Can they give conditional offers or do you simply get waitlisted or something else?
Reply 19
Original post by LeChiffre92
Hi all,

I'm considering to apply however I'm currently a final year undergrad. Does anyone know what the admissions policy with regard to undergrads is? Can they give conditional offers or do you simply get waitlisted or something else?

On the MSc website they ask for a 1st class degree from a range of primarily science/engineering based discipline's, and yes they do hand out conditional offers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending