The Student Room Group

Will we see a THIRD Bush in the White House in 2016?

'The Independent'
Jeb Bush, the former Governor of Florida, threw open the starting gates of the 2016 campaign for the White House last night announcing, via social media, that he had decided to “actively explore the possibility of running for President of the United States”.

While speculation had been gathering about a possible run by Mr Bush, 61, notwithstanding suggestions that voters may not be ready for a third Bush president, the timing caught many by surprise. He had said only at the weekend he would make a decision whether to run at the end of this year or early in 2015.

The slightly tortuous wording of statements on both Facebook and Twitter leaves Mr Bush a window to back out of, but barring some unforeseen circumstance that would now seem most unlikely. As far as the American political universe is concerned, he is now a candidate. With Hillary Clinton seemingly readying to seek the Democratic nod, that throws up the prospect of a potential Bush-Clinton race. Mr Bush is the brother of George W Bush. Their father, George H W Bush was President between 1989 and 1993.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/the-dynasty-returns-jeb-bush-raises-possibility-of-2016-presidential-bid-9929370.html

All I can say is, I hope not. But Republicanism does seem to be rising in popularity at present, so if Jeb Bush was to run, I would definitely not rule him out as a potential 2016 election winner. The Americans voted in two previous Bush family members, so why not a third.
Reply 1
Supposedly he is very intelligent, his parents actually expected him to run for president rather than w. The Republican party has some interesting candidates coming forwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Reluire
But Republicanism does seem to be rising in popularity at present, so if Jeb Bush was to run, I would definitely not rule him out as a potential 2016 election winner. The Americans voted in two previous Bush family members, so why not a third.

That's pretty normal though. The party in opposition always gets more popular.
It's quite too soon to talk about this. But now I can say one thing about the third Bush.

That gentleman could bring the third World War!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reluire
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/the-dynasty-returns-jeb-bush-raises-possibility-of-2016-presidential-bid-9929370.html

All I can say is, I hope not. But Republicanism does seem to be rising in popularity at present, so if Jeb Bush was to run, I would definitely not rule him out as a potential 2016 election winner. The Americans voted in two previous Bush family members, so why not a third.

I don't doubt that Jeb wants to run. It's becoming increasingly clear he WILL run for the GOP nomination. However, there are others (Marco Rubio, Rand Paul, Rick Santorum) that have been suggested to run for the GOP nomination as well. I question Jebs ability to win the GOP nomination. Jeb may be popular with establishment Republicans, but the Tea Party/libertarian branch of the party seems to loathe him. Rush Limbaugh, an influential Republican commentator, has attacked Jebs lack of commitment to conservatism. I think Jeb will ultimately win the GOP nomination-but there will be a fight that won't be easy for Jeb.

I have to disagree about the GOP rising in popularity. Yes, the GOP did win the midterm elections-but Presidential elections are a whole different game. National policies on issues like healthcare, immigration, and education are something Democrats have understood, and they will gather together for it. As long as Hillary Clinton cuts out the annoying anti business mantra, she'll be ok.
Reply 5
I'd like to see him run as I've heard good things about him and he's from the mainstream rather than Tea Party wing however much will depend on whether he will hold his ground or pander. Romney was actually fairly moderate himself but pandered so much to the right to get the nomination that in the north eastern swing states (typically not naturally conservative) he screwed himself over.

Rand Paul and Paul Ryan should be interesting too.
Reply 6
Original post by Rakas21
I'd like to see him run as I've heard good things about him and he's from the mainstream rather than Tea Party wing however much will depend on whether he will hold his ground or pander. Romney was actually fairly moderate himself but pandered so much to the right to get the nomination that in the north eastern swing states (typically not naturally conservative) he screwed himself over.

Rand Paul and Paul Ryan should be interesting too.

Can't see Rand Paul really getting anywhere at all. He's way too far right. He'll amuse a few on the fringes but other than his foreign policy I don't think he is an attractive candidate.

There is a rumor going round that Romney could actually run again.
Reply 7
Original post by kurofune
I don't doubt that Jeb wants to run. It's becoming increasingly clear he WILL run for the GOP nomination. However, there are others (Marco Rubio, Rand Paul, Rick Santorum) that have been suggested to run for the GOP nomination as well. I question Jebs ability to win the GOP nomination. Jeb may be popular with establishment Republicans, but the Tea Party/libertarian branch of the party seems to loathe him. Rush Limbaugh, an influential Republican commentator, has attacked Jebs lack of commitment to conservatism. I think Jeb will ultimately win the GOP nomination-but there will be a fight that won't be easy for Jeb.

I have to disagree about the GOP rising in popularity. Yes, the GOP did win the midterm elections-but Presidential elections are a whole different game. National policies on issues like healthcare, immigration, and education are something Democrats have understood, and they will gather together for it. As long as Hillary Clinton cuts out the annoying anti business mantra, she'll be ok.

Being divisive could prove to be a good thing in the long run. He'll face a bitter battle from the tea party and evangelist nutjobs, but it'll secure him a lot of the centre in any forthcoming presidential elections thereafter, and as a party, the gop know this and want to win. He's less of a walking disaster than the likes of Santorum, and some sort of moderation is likely the only way they'd take the white house. They know this after last time, where if they'd had a strong fairly central candidate they'd likely have beaten Obama.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending