The Student Room Group

Good companies for a first year summer placement

Hi,
I am currently studying a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering at the university of Lincoln, yes I know, not the best choice to make in the world, but I am coming up to that time of year where everyone is starting to think about summer placements for 2015. Here is where my problem lies.

Although i am aware of the major companies that offer summer placement or year long placements I see those as a second year option as i would of being able to get a better understanding for the processes and theory behind most of the engineering course, compared to this year where we are simply being taught the basics.

I am aware that said larger companies ask for a minimum of being on track to achieve a 2:1 degree and such, however i do not believe that at the current time i would be able to be selected simply on my grades alone (Standing currently at a 2:1) when being placed against competition who have experience in some line of mechanical engineering work or more years of knowledge under their belts.

Overall I am searching for any tips on how to find that company to "boost" my CV to future employers and such.

Thank you in advance to anyone who read this. :smile:
I was under the impression that internships are more for second years etc?
If that is the case, if I were you I might set my sights a bit lower and just apply to local firms as unpaid monkey work.
Yes it's nothing relevant to the course, but if you keep your ears open you might pick up a few tips, and if you're sociable enough you might even get a couple of decent references/connections
out of it when you go for a proper paid/company internship in the following years
Reply 2
Original post by Tadpole123
I was under the impression that internships are more for second years etc?
If that is the case, if I were you I might set my sights a bit lower and just apply to local firms as unpaid monkey work.
Yes it's nothing relevant to the course, but if you keep your ears open you might pick up a few tips, and if you're sociable enough you might even get a couple of decent references/connections
out of it when you go for a proper paid/company internship in the following years

Yes, i was also under the same impression. However just wanted to check. Unfortunately the amount of engineering companies as a whole to apply to around my area are very limited. But thanks for the advice and i will be sure to keep my ear to the ground when i get into a smaller company. :smile:
Original post by DanBrown96
Yes, i was also under the same impression. However just wanted to check. Unfortunately the amount of engineering companies as a whole to apply to around my area are very limited. But thanks for the advice and i will be sure to keep my ear to the ground when i get into a smaller company. :smile:

If you're a first year, just try and get some unpaid work experience at any local firm you can find. You're just trying to pad out your CV for when you get a placement in your penultimate third year.

If you're particular driven/have a good CV, you could definitely get a placement with the big firms in your second year.
Reply 4
Original post by pleasedtobeatyou
If you're a first year, just try and get some unpaid work experience at any local firm you can find. You're just trying to pad out your CV for when you get a placement in your penultimate third year.

If you're particular driven/have a good CV, you could definitely get a placement with the big firms in your second year.

This seems to be the general consensus. Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending