The Student Room Group

Help GCSE choices!!

Our school has English Lit, World Lit and Maths compulsory. One language and (at least) two sciences are compulsory. At our school, we can take extra courses to support our GCSE choices.
For example, if you took all academic GCSEs you could take creative courses so you still have a chance to do them.

I'm not sure whether I should take: Bio, Phys, Chem and Chinese or Bio, Chem, Chinese and either History/Food Tech/Art/Drama.

I've talked to my Science teacher and she thinks I can manage three sciences. I have also talked to my Food Tech teacher and he said he thinks I should do the GCSE. Same with my art and drama teacher (although my art teacher gave everyone an "A*****" on our last project, even the really bad ones). I haven't talked to my history teacher.

I'm interested in a career in criminology or forensics when I'm older but also want to keep my options open so I'm really unsure.
Reply 1
If you're thinking about forensics then three sciences is probably the smartest move. However, if you're school offers double science (counts as 2 GCSEs), I would do that because universities accept that instead of triple science.
If you only go for the Biology and Chemistry, I would go for history (if you're good at it) - universities want to see a humanities subject like geography, history or religious studies.

World lit sounds cool by the way - what is it exactly? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Addie16
If you're thinking about forensics then three sciences is probably the smartest move. However, if you're school offers double science (counts as 2 GCSEs), I would do that because universities accept that instead of triple science.
If you only go for the Biology and Chemistry, I would go for history (if you're good at it) - universities want to see a humanities subject like geography, history or religious studies.

World lit sounds cool by the way - what is it exactly? :smile:

Thank you!! :smile: That's another thing, I was considering taking PRS but I'm not taking it currently so I have really little idea of what you do (except for what I've heard from my friends who take it and Year 8 Humanities).

World Lit is basically reading and interpreting different types of texts from around the world. (I'm not very sure either haha, that's basically all the school has told us).
Reply 3
Original post by maybechiara

World Lit is basically reading and interpreting different types of texts from around the world. (I'm not very sure either haha, that's basically all the school has told us).

That sounds really cool - we only had British Authors which could have been good but they picked the worst books possible.

Quick Reply

Latest