The Student Room Group

Math, some questions

I'm planning to apply for 2005 as a mature student. My favourite subject ever since is mathematics and so I am thinking about applying for the following courses (they all sound interesting enough and I am not 100% into anything, although I'm know, that I'd put lots into whatever I'll finally start doing), economics, mathematics&econmics, natural science, mathematics.

Of those 4 I actually favor mathematics (at cambridge) or mathematics&economics (lse).

My questions: Do I have to be a genius to get accepted into math at cambridge? The german system never forced me to study really hard, so I don't know what I am really capable of. I had a look into a STEP Paper today and could solve some things, with others I even had problems understanding the question ( I looked into the paper for about 40 minutes ; ordered a book with tricks&solutions ; finished school roughly one year ago). When do the interviews take place (if I get one) ? Has anyone any experience with applying for math at camb/oxf, exspecially as an undergrad?
Reply 1
Out of interest what subjects did you take in Germany as they may limit the courses you are able to study?
Reply 2
http://oa.waveflex.com/ <--- for lots of experiences and interview questions. Mine is all there.

Cambridge is very tough for maths (all of the maths teams, etc) although I don't know if you have to be a genius; Oxford not that much less so - there is an Oxford test too, you just take it at interview (see http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/specimen-tests/). Interviews are in December. Only apply for what you're passionate about! Maths and Economics at LSE was going to be one of my courses; it looks fantastic and LSE is amazing.

If you think you can do some of the questions and if you like proofs (if you've done any) you stand a good chance :smile:. At this time last year STEP looked impossible to me; I couldn't complete the Oxford specimen tests or STEP past papers until November. I am not a maths 'genius', just good and enthusiastic and very very interested (I've got an Oxford offer). If you want to go to Cambridge, apply; you'll never know if you don't.
Reply 3
You are not a mature student, since you finished school only one year ago! To study maths at Oxbridge, you must be good; genius isn't the word. If you don't know what you're capable of, then by all means apply. By applying you will find out how good you really are. You don't have to do fantastically well in the STEP papers, but practice and guidance won't do any harm. Interviews are in the first weeks of December.
Reply 4
Wal
I'm planning to apply for 2005 as a mature student. My favourite subject ever since is mathematics and so I am thinking about applying for the following courses (they all sound interesting enough and I am not 100% into anything, although I'm know, that I'd put lots into whatever I'll finally start doing), economics, mathematics&econmics, natural science, mathematics.

Of those 4 I actually favor mathematics (at cambridge) or mathematics&economics (lse).

My questions: Do I have to be a genius to get accepted into math at cambridge? The german system never forced me to study really hard, so I don't know what I am really capable of. I had a look into a STEP Paper today and could solve some things, with others I even had problems understanding the question ( I looked into the paper for about 40 minutes ; ordered a book with tricks&solutions ; finished school roughly one year ago). When do the interviews take place (if I get one) ? Has anyone any experience with applying for math at camb/oxf, exspecially as an undergrad?

No, you definitely do not have to be a genius to study Maths at Cambridge. You do need to demonstrate flair, passion and the ability to think on your feet at interview. Your grades must show you have ability obviously. If you could look at a STEP paper and be able to solve some questions (you generally only need to give four good answers anyway) that is promising. Most students, at first glance, don't have a clue.

Interviews are held in Cambridge during the second week of December each year. Someone has already given the link for the website of Oxbridge Info. You can read up on all the experiences of those who were interviewed.
Reply 5
no you dont have to be a genius - a good friend of mine is studying maths at trinity cambridge, and he only just scraped a gold in the senior maths challenge, didnt get through to the olympiad. and he didnt do further maths. however he is really hardworking and has a genuine interest in the subject, which is what pulled him through.

on the other hand, LSE maths and eco looks excellent (im off to do that :tongue: )
Reply 6
Wal
OP
Thanks for all your answers, doesnt sound too bad actually.

My two main subjects were math and physics (the german system is obviously a bit different) and I got something equivalent to an A.

One of you pointed out, that I'm not a mature student, but if the definition of being 21 at the beginning of your degree is right, I'm going to be a mature student!?

My first gap year gave me quite some motivation (which I certainly lacked before) and from what I hear, some talent combined with work could do the job (if one gets accepted), which is really good news.

I'll now read the links you gave me.

BTW, do you think many mature students apply for math, because some of the colleges even discourage taking a gap year, not to mention taking two of them!? Does one of you know anybody, who applied as a mature student?

Thanks again!
apparentl having a gap year in maths is actively discouraged but on the other hand thaqt is what they say to kids just out of school. I would have thought that if you have already taken gap years they wouldn't discriminate against you.

MB
Reply 8
Wal
OP
And if I still show math-skills two years after school, that should be impressing... :wink:

I'll phone them on monday and ask, what they thing about all that.

Latest

Trending

Trending