The Student Room Group

Pressing charges

So,yesterday I came home from the hospital to find my garden vandalised and parts of the inside of my house. Now, I have an idea of whom might be the suspect but before jumping to conclusions I've done alittle more investigating.
This person is someone who I considered to be a friend.
I just don't know if i should bother to press charges. I'll be leaving soon to go to Italy.
your advice is appreciated
it might be an idea to give a statement to the police even if you do not press charges. then they will be aware of any further problems caused by this person.
Reply 2
Original post by the bear
it might be an idea to give a statement to the police even if you do not press charges. then they will be aware of any further problems caused by this person.

Does it involve going through a long process?
Original post by queen-bee

i have not done it myself, but it is not very technical.

you could report the incident on 101; they give you a crime number and the information will be on their system permanently.
Reply 4
Original post by the bear
i have not done it myself, but it is not very technical.

you could report the incident on 101; they give you a crime number and the information will be on their system permanently.

Thank you!
Reply 5
You can't press charges off the back of a feeling. The best you'll get is a crime incident number, you'll be in the station giving a 2-3 hour statement, then you won't hear a thing about it ever again.

If they entertain the very idea to begin with.
Reply 6

Ive given a statement without pressing charges although I definitely knew who the person was. The whole thing took nearly two hours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
You can report it, and you'll have to give a statement. Police can be surprisingly quick with these types of things, or notoriously long depending on your local constabulary and their current backlog. But unless there is evidence of breaking and entry, something stolen or significant criminal damage I doubt they'd take it any further. Without any evidence the police can't really take you on your word for the suspect.

Personally I'd report it, and just secure your home properly before you go away. Maybe get a trusted friend or family member to check up every few days.
Reply 8
Original post by gemmam
Ive given a statement without pressing charges although I definitely knew who the person was. The whole thing took nearly two hours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I definitely know who the person is too. I'm most likely going to press charges
Reply 9
I definitely know who the person is too. I'm most likely going to press charges

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending