The Student Room Group

Bad mock results...

I just got my mock results back and I'm a bit worried now. All my friends got A*-C mostly and they've always been in the higher sets than me and I want to do well in my GCSEs but I've lost motivation since getting my mock results. Will I get any higher in the actual exams? If so, how can I do better?

Business - E
Electronics - C
English Lit - F
French - E
Geography - U
Maths - C
Science (Core) - F-
Science (Additional) - D
Reply 1
Don't get too disheartened by mock results. You still have time to bring your grades up. Talk to teachers and go through exam papers with the to see where you went wrong. In my AS mocks I got four E's and ended up improving to BBCD. Mock results aren't the end of the world, they just mean you have to work hard to achieve the grades you want.
Mock results aren't usually a good indication of how you'll do in the real exams (especially if you don't do too well). Instead of worrying about them and wasting time, you should just use them as motivation to work your butt off, starting NOW. The thing with revision is that it won't ever happen if you put it off, it's kind of like going on a diet; you say you'll do it tomorrow, but in the end you never do. So what you need to do is get organised, make a table or list with everything you need to do, and just do it... Doing past papers is the best thing to do. Just do the past paper in exam conditions, then mark using the mark scheme- write down the questions you got wrong- learn those topics and attempt the question again some other time. What's written in the mark scheme is what the examiners want, so don't waffle- get straight to the key points. Once you've done all past papers relevant to your specification you can start over, or do past papers from the previous specifications (obviously omitting what isn't in your current spec). I think that that's probably the best way to go about your revision. Another thing that works is making your OWN notes based off the specification itself. That way you're not at a disadvantage if the teacher forgets to cover something, and you've got a resource to use now and in June when you will not have any time to make resources. You could type them up, or use flash cards - one card per spec point, then read over them every weekend with understanding- ask yourself questions to do with them. You absolutely do NOT want to just memorise the content, you need to understand it! Best of luck in your GCSEs :smile:
Reply 3
Mock results are not a solid indication of how you will do in the real exams, more than anything I think schools just insist on doing them for practice as students then will know what to expect in the summer. I got my GCSE mock results grades today also and now I know the real area's that I need to work on. And do not lose motivation!! I know it's easy to want to give up - that's what i'm like with physics! But just remember that you're doing these exams for only you and your future.

Quick Reply

Latest