The Student Room Group

how do you react when you meet someone better than you in every way?

Better looking, fitter, more knowledgeable, better educated and more intelligent, more qualified, more interesting, on a higher salary, funnier (makes more of your friends and family laugh), more streetwise and experienced.

So cool your partner confesses to have lost feelings for you and wants to date them if not smash them relentlessly, and your parents want to adopt them and kick you out to make space for them. If you work with them you get demoted so they can have your position. If you get in the way of their success you get sacked.

Someone who is not just a passing stranger but becomes central to your life and their presence changes the way people view and treat you. Like a long lost hot cousin or new friend.

how would you handle it? Would you feel **** or respect the natural order and accept you have lost the game? Would you hang out with them anyway?

Edit: of roughly the same age or younger. Obviously not a fair comparison in careers between the average 18 y/o and 30y/o
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Not act jealousy for a start. Although i'd be damn pissed if my gf left for him. If he is so great he can teach me how to be so awesome, otherwise he isn't as great as he thinks he is.
I hope that I would try to improve myself, but I'm not sure how likely that is.
Reply 3
No idea, it's never happened nor ever likely to happen.
If that fails I could always murder him
Reply 5
Original post by surely ur joking

surely ur joking
Reply 6
1. impossible, I am the best

2. copy the **** out of them, find out -why- they're better - if you're not on par now, work on it and come back twice as good
Original post by Fideo
surely ur joking

yeah id probably take the propaganda approach,

'Dad... Did you know about his past? Someone told me he raped someone'.

His image will be tainted forever,

Muhahahaha
Try and be the best person I can be. He may be better in some regards of my life, but I will be better than him in some other aspect.
I try to befriend them.
Reply 10
See what they do - learn from it - become equally as awesome until you find the next tier of person that's better than you in every way
Original post by moment of truth
Try and be the best person I can be. He may be better in some regards of my life, but I will be better than him in some other aspect.

No s/he is better than you at everything you do.
I like to surround myself with those people wherever possible. It makes you a better person.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No one has ever been "better" than me. I am unique, just like everybody else.
Original post by BitWindy
I hope that I would try to improve myself, but I'm not sure how likely that is.

Sames I'm too much of a whiney bitch to do it loool
Original post by surely ur joking

Nah s/he will chokehold you with one hand if you so much as hit them. You are their slave, your only option is to run away if e.g. they invade your home.

It's one of my worst nightmares
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
No s/he is better than you at everything you do.

Then you realise that we are all unique. If it is someone that would put me down because they are better than me then I wouldn't associate myself with them, I don't need to talk to people that have fun in putting other people down.
Original post by DiddyDec
No one has ever been "better" than me. I am unique, just like everybody else.

This person is an idealised version of yourself without any of your flaws and shortcomings, so it is possible to say they are 'better' than you
Reply 18
I generally tend to think low of myself, so I think I got used to meeting people better than me.
Though one time I've met that one person who's unintentionally (smarter, prettier but also incredibly kind) made me feel really depressed for a quite long time, but looking back at it I consider it a rather good thing. Once I got over them (I never fully did) I felt more pressure onto bettering myself and now I'm kinda trying to get my life together.
So yeah, despair is my initial reaction but I let it impact and improve me as a person.
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
This person is an idealised version of yourself without any of your flaws and shortcomings, so it is possible to say they are 'better' than you

Well clearly there is nothing I can do to change the future outcomes. **** happens, time to move on and have fun.

Quick Reply

Latest