The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Food at catered halls - does anyone like it?

I can find several people complaining about it, but I haven't spotted anyone saying it's good.

I am particularly interested from hearing from people who are vegetarian or vegan or have another set of dietary requirements.

One of the halls Is being considered for a conference and I'm wondering if the dinners would be ok or an embarrassment.
I doubt people would post positive food comments because it's just 'ok' I feel. I mean, you're cooking for however many thousands of people every day (all the halls use the same catering providers) so it's not going to be amazing without driving costs up massively.

I don't think it was bad though. There's a good choice for 3 mains (usually 1 meat, 1 fish, 1 veggie if I remember rightly) and then some form of potatoes and veg, soup with variety of breads, salad, yoghurt, and a dessert.

I'm not sure about vegan being provided for by default, but if you let them know in advance I remember people who needed say gluten-free were given a separate main.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Yes, if we use them, I have a feeling it will be a case of saying 'all choices must be veggie, at least one vegan' because of the number of those, plus avoiding meat avoids several other issues.
Reply 3
It is interesting that they all use the same provider. Where I went, the catered halls all did their own stuff and there was a definite competition between them to be the best on campus.
Its edible. Once I found a long hair in my lasagne. I ate it anyway.
Oh, and sometimes the food wasn't defrosted properly.
But as I said, its edible. Sometimes it tastes good, and from time to time, bad. Overall, its average.

Also, you get a meal card which covers your lunch everyday, meaning you dine like royalty for a year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending