The Student Room Group

Sketchbook Part of Portfolios?

I've noticed that lots of art based courses that want portfolios ask for a sketchbook with the portfolio, and I was wandering what the sketchbook should be like, and what they mean exactly when they want the sketchbook. some ask for a certain amount of work (like 10-15 pieces for example) so would a sketchbook count as one piece? I've applied to do Animation, and I have interviews coming up soon, and most require a portfolio and a sketchbook, so I'm getting a bit worried.

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Sketchbooks are there to show the process and how you develop the ideas, so let's say if you have a couple of project driven works in your portfolio then it would be good if you had sketcbook for each piece (or an A1 development sheet which then you can include in your portfolio) which would show the contextual research, sketches, studies etc. it doesn't need to be that way, but it really helps.
Animation here too.

Sketchbooks aren't pieces. They're just sketchbooks. Bring your favourite one. Usually they just flip through it casually and don't pay much attention unless it looks terrible or utterly amazing lol :smile: bookmark some of your favourite pages you think are relevant.

You can also compile & print out a few pages of your sketches thrown together (multiple sketches on one page), especially if the submission is digital/online.
Original post by eei
Sketchbooks are there to show the process and how you develop the ideas, so let's say if you have a couple of project driven works in your portfolio then it would be good if you had sketcbook for each piece (or an A1 development sheet which then you can include in your portfolio) which would show the contextual research, sketches, studies etc. it doesn't need to be that way, but it really helps.

Oh ok I see, thanks :smile:
The way I have developed a lot of ideas hasn't been through using an individual sketchbooks, should I put the ideas and research process in a sketchbook?
Original post by coffeecakey
Animation here too.

Sketchbooks aren't pieces. They're just sketchbooks. Bring your favourite one. Usually they just flip through it casually and don't pay much attention unless it looks terrible or utterly amazing lol :smile: bookmark some of your favourite pages you think are relevant.

You can also compile & print out a few pages of your sketches thrown together (multiple sketches on one page), especially if the submission is digital/online.

Oh ok I think I understand, thanks :biggrin: would I need sketchbook development for all my pieces off work?
Reply 6
I know it might sound tedious, but some art courses are very much about concept based work and that's why they like to see how do you work on your ideas.
yes, we all just paint/sculpt/draw/design things straight away, but it's really important to try different approaches and contextualise your practice if you want to study at the degree level and beyond. As contemporary artists we should be trying to push the boundaries:smile:

Even if your work doesn't follow any concept, you must do some preliminary sketches, try different angles, maybe different techniques and materials? Put it all in your sketchbook. It's really not about doodles like some will try to make you believe. Next time you paint something or draw or build, make few sketches, a couple of rough colour studies etc, maybe print out few reproductions from artists which covered a similar subject or which influenced you (or maybe include photos of things which influenced your work, colours, patterns, bits of fabrics whatever) and stick it all in a couple of A2 sketchbook pages and take a picture of it. Then include it with the final piece in your mini portfolio. Or stick on a sheet of A1 cartridge or mounting board and slide into your portfolio. Trust me, showing the way you work is as appreciated as the actual work you're producing.
shouldn't really give so much insider info to the competition :smile:

ps. Sorry for the spelling and syntax, but I'm a "forrin"
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by VeggieSausage
Oh ok I think I understand, thanks :biggrin: would I need sketchbook development for all my pieces off work?

Your 'final pieces' should naturally link to your sketchbook (if not, there is something wrong :biggrin: ) I'd say do so, for maybe 2-4 of your pieces, depending on how much they ask you to bring.

As long as in general you've got a story/development/progress going on in your work that can be traced.
Your 'final pieces' should naturally link to your sketchbook (if not, there is something wrong :biggrin: ) I'd say do so, for maybe 2-4 of your pieces, depending on how much they ask you to bring.

As long as in general you've got a story/development/progress going on in your work that can be traced.

Oh ok, thank you :smile: wouldn't that be quite a lot to carry? For example if I needed sketchbook for a final piece, say it was an AS final piece, would I need to bring my whole AS book for development as well as the actually portfolio?
Original post by eei
I know it might sound tedious, but some art courses are very much about concept based work and that's why they like to see how do you work on your ideas.
yes, we all just paint/sculpt/draw/design things straight away, but it's really important to try different approaches and contextualise your practice if you want to study at the degree level and beyond. As contemporary artists we should be trying to push the boundaries:smile:

Even if your work doesn't follow any concept, you must do some preliminary sketches, try different angles, maybe different techniques and materials? Put it all in your sketchbook. It's really not about doodles like some will try to make you believe. Next time you paint something or draw or build, make few sketches, a couple of rough colour studies etc, maybe print out few reproductions from artists which covered a similar subject or which influenced you (or maybe include photos of things which influenced your work, colours, patterns, bits of fabrics whatever) and stick it all in a couple of A2 sketchbook pages and take a picture of it. Then include it with the final piece in your mini portfolio. Or stick on a sheet of A1 cartridge or mounting board and slide into your portfolio. Trust me, showing the way you work is as appreciated as the actual work you're producing.
shouldn't really give so much insider info to the competition :smile:

ps. Sorry for the spelling and syntax, but I'm a "forrin"

Thank you! :biggrin: so it doesn't have to be a physical sketch book?
Oh ok, thank you :smile: wouldn't that be quite a lot to carry? For example if I needed sketchbook for a final piece, say it was an AS final piece, would I need to bring my whole AS book for development as well as the actually portfolio?

Depends on your Uni and what they ask for. I can only give you examples from mine.
- One uni asked for 15-20 pieces submitted digitally, so I ended up submitting 15 'whole' images and 5xpages worth of sketches/development.
- Another Uni asked to bring in portfolio, many students brought big A1 sized folders + 1 sketchbook... I just brought a sketchbook.
- Another uni asked for 15 finals and 15 developments.

Your choice of what you show to them is also a mini test of your ability to compile your work. As long as you tell a story and show you're an ideal candidate for animation & demonstrate a broad range of skills. Keep it tight.
Depends on your Uni and what they ask for. I can only give you examples from mine.
- One uni asked for 15-20 pieces submitted digitally, so I ended up submitting 15 'whole' images and 5xpages worth of sketches/development.
- Another Uni asked to bring in portfolio, many students brought big A1 sized folders + 1 sketchbook... I just brought a sketchbook.

Your choice of what you show to them is also a mini test of your ability to compile your work. As long as you tell a story and show you're an ideal candidate for animation & demonstrate a broad range of skills. Keep it tight.

Oh ok, thanks again :smile: I think most of the ones I've applied to ( well the two I've just looked at now) ask for a sketch book. But a sketch doesn't have to be just sketches right? would it be ok having photos, annotations, print screens etc to show development?
Reply 12

Yeah, better check the exact requirements on the admission pages of the courses you're applying for. Some might be quite specific.
Reply 13
Oh ok, thanks again :smile: I think most of the ones I've applied to ( well the two I've just looked at now) ask for a sketch book. But a sketch doesn't have to be just sketches right? would it be ok having photos, annotations, print screens etc to show development?

Sure. As long as it matches your practice.
Reply 14
I have mainly collages. One sketchbook have more actual sketches (pencil, ink), but others are collages, clippings. Depends what floats your boat and what you do.
Original post by eei
I have mainly collages. One sketchbook have more actual sketches (pencil, ink), but others are collages, clippings. Depends what floats your boat and what you do.

thanks! mine will probably be mostly pencil sketches.

Quick Reply

Latest