The Student Room Group

Do these results give me a chance at Cambridge?

Hi,

I am currently in Year 12.

The GCSE results I received in the Summer are 3 A*s and 5 A's. The 3 A*s are in English Lit, English Language and History. The 5 A's are in Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Psychology. I also have 2 B's which were in Physics and French. As well as this I took an early AS level alongside my GCSE'S (Classical Civilisation) and got a B (unfortunately I was 4 marks off getting an A in this).

I have hopes of studying English Literature at Cambridge and understand the entry requirements for this is A*AA. I received my predicted grades for A2 and they are four A's. The A levels I am currently studying are A2 Classical Civilisation, AS English Literature, AS History and AS Geography. Do you think the B I got in my AS Classical Civilisation last year will reduce my chances of applying/getting an offer at Cambridge? Obviously I am working hard to bring the B up to an A and hoping for A/A* in my other 3 subjects. I have been told GCSE doesn't matter as much for Cambridge, and that it is the whole picture of the student that counts, but surely my lack of A*s at GSCE and the disappointing AS level from Year 11 will put them off?

Please answer as detailed as possible and answer honestly: looking at these results so far, do you think I have any possibility of reaching Cambridge?

Thanks,
Alex
Although they are not world record results they are very respectable so far. With a strong PS and support from your school there is not reason why you should not succeed. The B is not in the subject you wish to study.
Reply 2
Original post by EmilyB97
No

Hi if you could please explain why I'd really appreciate it. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by alexwren
Hi,

I am currently in Year 12.

The GCSE results I received in the Summer are 3 A*s and 5 A's. The 3 A*s are in English Lit, English Language and History. The 5 A's are in Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Psychology. I also have 2 B's which were in Physics and French. As well as this I took an early AS level alongside my GCSE'S (Classical Civilisation) and got a B (unfortunately I was 4 marks off getting an A in this).

I have hopes of studying English Literature at Cambridge and understand the entry requirements for this is A*AA. I received my predicted grades for A2 and they are four A's. The A levels I am currently studying are A2 Classical Civilisation, AS English Literature, AS History and AS Geography. Do you think the B I got in my AS Classical Civilisation last year will reduce my chances of applying/getting an offer at Cambridge? Obviously I am working hard to bring the B up to an A and hoping for A/A* in my other 3 subjects. I have been told GCSE doesn't matter as much for Cambridge, and that it is the whole picture of the student that counts, but surely my lack of A*s at GSCE and the disappointing AS level from Year 11 will put them off?

Please answer as detailed as possible and answer honestly: looking at these results so far, do you think I have any possibility of reaching Cambridge?

Thanks,
Alex

Not going to lie: those results are not particularly spectacular. They're obviously good results, but I mean by top uni standards. However, that said, if you perform well at interview, have an excellent personal statement and score highly on the entry exam, you will stand a good chance. You just have no room for error at this point. Good luck.
Reply 4
Original post by McMurdo
Not going to lie: those results are not particularly spectacular. They're obviously good results, but I mean by top uni standards. However, that said, if you perform well at interview, have an excellent personal statement and score highly on the entry exam, you will stand a good chance. You just have no room for error at this point. Good luck.

The phrase 'no room for error' is apt and I am very aware of this, thanks for your honest response.
Reply 5
EDIT: Sorry, you answered my question. Yes, if you do well at interview, you might well have a shot, but it's never guaranteed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Viceroy
What course would you apply for?
English Literature
Reply 7
Original post by alexwren
English Literature

I'm not applying to Oxbridge since they don't offer dentistry as a course, if they did then I would wholeheartedly apply there. I read for 2015 applications (our year) programmes they are raising it to A*A*A for the entry requirement.

Quick Reply

Latest