The Student Room Group

Library debt? Debt collector letter sent, how do i appeal

Hi guys,
so I forgot to renew a book I borrowed 3 months ago. Now I got a letter from a debt collector saying I owe the library over £20.

I have to pay it even if I return the book (worth £12.99)

The thing is, the account is under my name but it is spelled incorrectly. I was wondering if I can appeal saying that such person doesn't exist and open a new account? Moreover, I'm 17 so I was hoping there's a way to appeal because I'm underage.

Is there anything I can do to avoid the charge? I don't have the money to pay it.
Original post by Zedzoe
Hi guys,
so I forgot to renew a book I borrowed 3 months ago. Now I got a letter from a debt collector saying I owe the library over £20.

I have to pay it even if I return the book (worth £12.99)

The thing is, the account is under my name but it is spelled incorrectly. I was wondering if I can appeal saying that such person doesn't exist and open a new account? Moreover, I'm 17 so I was hoping there's a way to appeal because I'm underage.

Is there anything I can do to avoid the charge? I don't have the money to pay it.

debt collector is a bit much. it's so deep. ask your parents for 20 pound and get a job to repay them.
or sell your belongings online
Reply 2
Original post by anonymouspie227
debt collector is a bit much. it's so deep. ask your parents for 20 pound and get a job to repay them.
or sell your belongings online

The point is that I dont want to pay it, I have a job btw. I want to know how I can appeal.
Original post by Zedzoe
The point is that I dont want to pay it, I have a job btw. I want to know how I can appeal.

you just said you don't have the money? :/
just repay the fine it's less hassle. it's annoying yeah, but then it'll be over
It is best to pay your debts. It could affect your ability to get credit later if you do not pay up.
Reply 5
Original post by anonymouspie227
you just said you don't have the money? :/
just repay the fine it's less hassle. it's annoying yeah, but then it'll be over

haha I'm trying to save money for uni, sorry what I meant was I dont have money to spare on forgetting about a book. I guess it's a lesson:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by the bear
It is best to pay your debts. It could affect your ability to get credit later if you do not pay up.

ah ok thanks
Original post by the bear

It's not that deep.
i had one although it was from 12 years ago and i used the library and they just wrote it off. im sure the library wouldnt make use of a debt collector for 20 pounds, perhaps their just trying to take advantage of your youth/naiviety. have you actually received an official letter stating this?
Reply 9
Original post by Zedzoe
haha I'm trying to save money for uni, sorry what I meant was I dont have money to spare on forgetting about a book. I guess it's a lesson:smile:

£20 is not a massive amount of money. Once you're paying for your own food etc it could easily last only a couple of days at uni. It's not worth the hassle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think you can legally get into debt when you are under 18.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply