The Student Room Group

Considering moving next year but private/state

--
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Although some universities may place some weight on how you perform compared to others in your school, generally the most important thing is just the grades you are getting on your own, and how they compare to the requirements for the course.

What would you say is the typical range of grades achieved at A-level at your school, and at the moment in terms of grades how do you compare to others in your year?

With regards to facilities for science, I did physics and chemistry at A-level and whilst there is a lot of practical work, most of what you need to learn is more theoretical and to get the marks in the exam you need to know how best to answer questions, when to use key words etc. So having good teaching is very important for that kind if thing.

Going to see universities is very important. It's good to see them in person rather than just rely on photos etc. You mentioned Yale - are you considering studying in the US? Even if you are no longer eligible for the organised trips then you should still try and go and see universities anyway - perhaps going with your parents.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I go to a gdst school :lol:

I came from a very poor state school, and I'm so so so glad I changed schools.

It's not boring or bland here, I made new friends, environment is very different.

I'd say to go for the change. With the bursary and everything it's worth if you can get it
Original post by zaenium
Hi! :smile:
So I’m currently a Year 11 and really cannot decide whether to move or stay for my A-levels next year. Everyone I know in person is pretty biased (advising me to go to their school/stay etc.). This has really been bugging me because i’m very indecisive but I really want to get the decision making out of the way before the new year so I have a clearer goal.

Option 1) I currently go to an all girls state school in south London, it doesn't have the best grades/facilities but personally I don't think the teaching is too bad and I could get good grades here but it’s risky because 3/4 of my A-level choices are Sciences and my school has a terrible Science dept. so i'll most likely only get good grades by self-teaching tbh.
PROS:
- established friendship groups/ relationships with teachers
- going to state sixth form will make me eligible to apply to Sutton Trust trips/ UNIQ/ K+
- easier transition since I'm familiar to it
- co-ed sixthform, there are some boys.

CONS:
- bad stats/facilities
- slightly bored of the same faces if i'm honest
- pretty gross
- most of the boys are the annoying/distracting kind (LADbible type ew)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Option 2) I’m also considering applying for a bursary to a local GDST private girls school. It is a really really tiny school in comparison to my current state school that has 1000 or so students. The statistics are alot better (50% A/A etc) but I’m assuming that’s because of how few students there are.

PROS:
- just as close if not closer to my house than my current school
- small homely school, i really like the vibe
- new faces & a fresh start
- all girls
- better stats
- offer better UCAS/general support
CONS:
- apparently private schoolers are boring/bland???
- ive got to establish new friendships etc
- can’t go on programmes such as Sutton Trust etc
- it may (according to my school mentor) decrease my chances of getting into a Russell group uni because I won't 'stand out' as much if everyone's grades are good ???
- there are no boys
- i have to take entrance exams
Is there a point in going on such programmes any way? I went to a summer school this year and it was great experience and it would be awesome to get such an opportunity again. There’s a really cool trip to Yale in Year 12 but I have to go to a state school to be eligible.
All opinions are appreciated Thanks! x

I think apply and see what happens. You have to get in first! If so, then decide what you want to do. Do you have the motivation to get yourself through A-Levels with bad teachers, for example?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by zaenium

- it may (according to my school mentor) decrease my chances of getting into a Russell group uni because I won't 'stand out' as much if everyone's grades are good ???

I think your school mentor is desperate to keep you as a pupil :lol: You are obviously a capable students, and schools like to keep them.

I've heard about a disadvantage to privately educated pupils in applying to Oxbridge with quotas and what not, but never in regards to the Russell or 1994 Group.
Original post by Swanbow
I think your school mentor is desperate to keep you as a pupil :lol: You are obviously a capable students, and schools like to keep them.

I've heard about a disadvantage to privately educated pupils in applying to Oxbridge with quotas and what not, but never in regards to the Russell or 1994 Group.

Even with Oxbridge it isn't an issue.

If you're good enough, you're good enough.
Reply 7
Woahhhh i completely abandoned this because i thought i would get no replies thank you guys! :colondollar:
Reply 8
Original post by ttoby
Although some universities may place some weight on how you perform compared to others in your school, generally the most important thing is just the grades you are getting on your own, and how they compare to the requirements for the course.

What would you say is the typical range of grades achieved at A-level at your school, and at the moment in terms of grades how do you compare to others in your year?

With regards to facilities for science, I did physics and chemistry at A-level and whilst there is a lot of practical work, most of what you need to learn is more theoretical and to get the marks in the exam you need to know how best to answer questions, when to use key words etc. So having good teaching is very important for that kind if thing.

Going to see universities is very important. It's good to see them in person rather than just rely on photos etc. You mentioned Yale - are you considering studying in the US? Even if you are no longer eligible for the organised trips then you should still try and go and see universities anyway - perhaps going with your parents.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most grades at my schools sixth are A-C and few are a/a*
my grades at the moment are really good i just did my mocks and im predicted 9a*s 3as but im worried i wont actually get them because i know ill have to work so hard because at the moment i have no motivation :frown:
My current physics teacher talks about his life stories more than anything as do most of my teachers i love them but it can get annoying knowing you have to go home and study what you should have done in class at home
I dont know what it is about yale but im really drawn to the states for my uni studies but the fee seems extortionate & i actually forgot i could go there without an organised trip:colondollar: although it would be nice going with my peers my parents would need to see it too before letting me go anyway haha
I just do not know and im so indecisive because i have this big fear of making a choice ill regret
Reply 9
Original post by Edminzodo
I think apply and see what happens. You have to get in first! If so, then decide what you want to do. Do you have the motivation to get yourself through A-Levels with bad teachers, for example?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right haha im getting a bit ahead of myself but i kid you not its such a tiny school very few externals apply so i think/hope i have a good shot
I have no motivation at the moment and i'm just doing my gcses :cc
Its mainly because i have so much pending work that i have to do alone since my teachers don't get round to teaching it by the end of class,its built up so much that it offputs me :ccc
Reply 10
Original post by Swanbow

What are the disadvantages ??? :confused:
Reply 11
Original post by L'Evil Fish

It's not boring or bland here, I made new friends, environment is very different.

I'd say to go for the change. With the bursary and everything it's worth if you can get it

The school im looking to move to has a sixth form of less than 70 girls omg
What are your pros and cons??

Really! I go to a GDST school too!! We might be in the same one :O

Original post by zaenium
So I’m currently a Year 11 and really cannot decide whether to move or stay for my A-levels next year. Everyone I know in person is pretty biased (advising me to go to their school/stay etc.). This has really been bugging me because i’m very indecisive but I really want to get the decision making out of the way before the new year so I have a clearer goal.

Option 1) I currently go to an all girls state school in south London, it doesn't have the best grades/facilities but personally I don't think the teaching is too bad and I could get good grades here but it’s risky because 3/4 of my A-level choices are Sciences and my school has a terrible Science dept. so i'll most likely only get good grades by self-teaching tbh.
PROS:
- established friendship groups/ relationships with teachers
- going to state sixth form will make me eligible to apply to Sutton Trust trips/ UNIQ/ K+
- easier transition since I'm familiar to it
- co-ed sixthform, there are some boys.

CONS:
- bad stats/facilities
- slightly bored of the same faces if i'm honest
- pretty gross
- most of the boys are the annoying/distracting kind (LADbible type ew)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Option 2) I’m also considering applying for a bursary to a local GDST private girls school. It is a really really tiny school in comparison to my current state school that has 1000 or so students. The statistics are alot better (50% A/A etc) but I’m assuming that’s because of how few students there are.

PROS:
- just as close if not closer to my house than my current school
- small homely school, i really like the vibe
- new faces & a fresh start
- all girls
- better stats
- offer better UCAS/general support
CONS:
- apparently private schoolers are boring/bland???
- ive got to establish new friendships etc
- can’t go on programmes such as Sutton Trust etc
- there are no boys
- i have to take entrance exams
Is there a point in going on such programmes any way? I went to a summer school this year and it was great experience and it would be awesome to get such an opportunity again. There’s a really cool trip to Yale in Year 12 but I have to go to a state school to be eligible.
All opinions are appreciated Thanks! x

So I have been in a GDST school since Year 4, and thus probably biased too. However prior to that I was in a state school.

If you can get a bursary I really do recommend it! I have attended lots of events etc organised by the GDST and it has really help. Not sure if L evil Fish has faced similar things to me?: but I have found that the GDST have also organised a lot of events for Accountacy/Engineering&Science students so that might help too.
What school are you looking into? I may be able to give further advice if you tell me the school since I have basically researched majority of the GDST schools out there! Although, of course understandable if you don't want to say.
Original post by zaenium
The school im looking to move to has a sixth form of less than 70 girls omg
What are your pros and cons??

Mine has around 120 with 40 boys maybe (bots only in sixth form) although only like 20 boya this year

It's good if it's smaller. More attention

Pros... Good teaching, nice community I guess, like to do events and stuff, quite a lot of opportunities for people,

Cons... girls, a bit bitchier. Everyone else is generally super rich lol which might be a bit of a meh

Original post by Olympiad
Really! I go to a GDST school too!! We might be in the same one :O

So I have been in a GDST school since Year 4, and thus probably biased too. However prior to that I was in a state school.

If you can get a bursary I really do recommend it! I have attended lots of events etc organised by the GDST and it has really help. Not sure if L evil Fish has faced similar things to me?: but I have found that the GDST have also organised a lot of events for Accountacy/Engineering&Science students so that might help too.
What school are you looking into? I may be able to give further advice if you tell me the school since I have basically researched majority of the GDST schools out there! Although, of course understandable if you don't want to say.

Haha there are loads :tongue: you definitely don't go to mine :frown:
Mine has around 120 with 40 boys maybe (bots only in sixth form) although only like 20 boya this year

It's good if it's smaller. More attention

Pros... Good teaching, nice community I guess, like to do events and stuff, quite a lot of opportunities for people,

Cons... girls, a bit bitchier. Everyone else is generally super rich lol which might be a bit of a meh

Haha there are loads :tongue: you definitely don't go to mine :frown:

There's only about 24! I think there's only one which has boys in the sixth form :P
There's only about 24! I think there's only one which has boys in the sixth form :P

Shhhhhhhhh
Shhhhhhhhh

Are you a head girl / deputy? Did you go to the leadership GDST day? I know my school were talking lots to yours if I'm thinking of the right one
Are you a head girl / deputy? Did you go to the leadership GDST day? I know my school were talking lots to yours if I'm thinking of the right one

PM me
Reply 18
I think i'm just going to go for it!
I'm slightly confused as to what i should be revising for my entrance exams though?? i had to choose two subjects along with English to sit an exams in but i don't know what i should revise c1/c2/c3 etc and whether i should do past papers from the exam board the school are with (OCR) idk
Original post by zaenium
What are the disadvantages ??? :confused:

Quotas and what not for state educated students, but then again it isn't exactly a huge issue as someone has already pointed out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending