The Student Room Group

PWC Flying Start Programme v KPMG School Leavers Programme

HELP!
I have received an offer from both programmes, the KPMG at Durham and Flying Start at Nottingham. Which one should I pick??

KPMG pay you but you get little Uni experience / less social life

KPMG ABB
PWC AAB

Both are brilliant and Im struggling which one to accept. I don't think its appropriate to accept both.

If anyone can give me some advice that would be really great :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jtd
HELP!
I have received an offer from both programmes, the KPMG at Durham and Flying Start at Nottingham. Which one should I pick??

KPMG ABB
PWC AAB

Both are brilliant and Im struggling which one to accept. I don't think its appropriate to accept both.

WELLDONE!!! they're both really good, choose which one you'd enjoy the most. When did you send of your application? and when did you have the assessment day? because that was really quick. i sent my questionnaire to pwc 3 weeks ago, and still have no reply :frown:
Reply 2
jtd
OP
Original post by AandFapplicant
WELLDONE!!! they're both really good, choose which one you'd enjoy the most. When did you send of your application? and when did you have the assessment day? because that was really quick. i sent my questionnaire to pwc 3 weeks ago, and still have no reply :frown:

I had the assessment day on Tuesday but I sent off the questionnaire in Late October/Early November!
Original post by jtd
I had the assessment day on Tuesday but I sent off the questionnaire in Late October/Early November!

pls respond to my pms
Original post by jtd

How many other applicants where there being assessed with you? Is it like 12 applicants and only 3 get the place?
Reply 5
jtd
OP
There were 15 of us, I only knew one other person and unfortunately he didn't get through. I don't know how many others did.
Reply 6
How was the ac? Any advice on the group and individual interview. Wt sort of q could they ask
Reply 7
jtd
OP
The assessment centre was very friendly, a group exercise where you need to contribute but not over dominate. Qts I can't really help with, they were very specific to my experience, academic record etc.
Original post by jtd
The assessment centre was very friendly, a group exercise where you need to contribute but not over dominate. Qts I can't really help with, they were very specific to my experience, academic record etc.

im quite a shy, nervous and awkward person. But im not afraid to speak and give my ideas, were the other candidates overpowering and really confident speakers? im just scared for the whole day they'll all make friends with each other, and i'll be left by myself
Reply 9
jtd
OP
As I said they were a friendly bunch, it is not threatening in any way. Less the apprentice interview, more a team building event. You will have to conker your nerves for any job and any interview. I had some practice interviews with friends of my parents, i was awful the first couple of times and then grew in confidence before the actual assessment centre.
If your going for one of these two options, I'd go for KPMG. The PwC degree is essentially just a degree with a placement. There is no guarantee of a job upon graduation, furthermore who knows if PwC will still be in business in four years time. As for KPMG, that programme is an actual job with uni placements. It's essentially the reverse of the PwC scheme. The only advantage of the PwC scheme in my opinion is the flexibility. If you don't want to go into audit once you graduate, you don't have to and you'll be ahead of the competition with a fairly reputable name on your CV.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AandFapplicant
im quite a shy, nervous and awkward person. But im not afraid to speak and give my ideas, were the other candidates overpowering and really confident speakers? im just scared for the whole day they'll all make friends with each other, and i'll be left by myself

I have to say, the profile you've given of yourself doesn't match the type of person the Big 4 are looking for given their work is all about interaction with the client. However, I would've described myself in a similar way before I joined a Big 4 firm. I managed to get through the interviews but an assessment centre would've ruined me. However, If nothing else has come out of my time here, I've definitely improved my confidence and ability to interact with others. So good luck with your application. The assessment centre is not about who is the loudest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by toejoeson
If your going for one of these two options, I'd go for KPMG. The PwC degree is essentially just a degree with a placement. There is no guarantee of a job upon graduation, furthermore who knows if PwC will still be in business in four years time. As for KPMG, that programme is an actual job with uni placements. It's essentially the reverse of the PwC scheme. The only advantage of the PwC scheme in my opinion is the flexibility. If you don't want to go into audit once you graduate, you don't have to and you'll be ahead of the competition with a fairly reputable name on your CV.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OP fyi please please please do not use the bolded as a reason not to go down the PwC route. There is no credible reason to doubt PwC staying in business in four years time. PwC isn't some random high street retailer...
Reply 13
Original post by zxh800
OP fyi please please please do not use the bolded as a reason not to go down the PwC route. There is no credible reason to doubt PwC staying in business in four years time. PwC isn't some random high street retailer...

Neither was Arthur Anderson.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Neither was Arthur Anderson.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The example of Arthur Anderson arguably makes a similar fate for PwC even less likely. Having seen the consequences, I'm sure the current Big 4 are wary enough to avoid a similar fate.

At any rate, if you are willing to entertain PwC going out of business you'd have to do the same for KPMG. If you go into comparing the consequences of both scenarios for the OP that would be the height of pedanticism. I think his time could be used more wisely by comparing more relevant and less ridiculous factors.
Reply 16
jtd
OP
Thank you all for your posts. In fairness I'm not worried about either firm going out of business, though PWC in the UK clearly have the most to loose from the current round of mandatory rotation as they have the most FTSE companies. That said Im drawn more by the opportunity to work in London and get my degree and ACA debt free than anything else. My parents want me to take the PWC route for the "fuller university experience". Im less convinced having spoken to some graduates who are pissed off with £50k of debt and struggling to get a job. So my decision is KPMG.
Original post by jtd
Thank you all for your posts. In fairness I'm not worried about either firm going out of business, though PWC in the UK clearly have the most to loose from the current round of mandatory rotation as they have the most FTSE companies. That said Im drawn more by the opportunity to work in London and get my degree and ACA debt free than anything else. My parents want me to take the PWC route for the "fuller university experience". Im less convinced having spoken to some graduates who are pissed off with £50k of debt and struggling to get a job. So my decision is KPMG.

if you choose that option, then can you give me your pwc placement :wink:
I have to say, the profile you've given of yourself doesn't match the type of person the Big 4 are looking for given their work is all about interaction with the client. However, I would've described myself in a similar way before I joined a Big 4 firm. I managed to get through the interviews but an assessment centre would've ruined me. However, If nothing else has come out of my time here, I've definitely improved my confidence and ability to interact with others. So good luck with your application. The assessment centre is not about who is the loudest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand that but at the same time I am willing to interact with people and speak. I think i will develop my confidence over time, i know some people i.e from school have it straight out the bag. But i don't want to have fake confidence, I want to find it from something.
Reply 19
Hi I am a KPMG school leaver 2014. Birmingham office / Birmingham University.

The KPMG scheme (specifically the Durham scheme) is quite intense. However you are getting paid and don't have the debt of university. You do also get the 'university experience' in year 4.

CP X
Original post by jtd
HELP!

KPMG ABB
PWC AAB

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending