The Student Room Group

Getting bullied/ignored because I didn't have a 'normal' childhood?

Okay so this has been bugging me lately. I wouldn't say I had a normal childhood. My family never really took photos together, we didn't go on holidays etc...I'm British but they aren't so I wasn't introduced to some of the cool things that 'normal' people were into when I was a kid. But now every time someone brings it up, for example, a TV show or a famous musician they ask me why I haven't heard of them before as if it's the worst crime in the world and refuse to acknowledge me? How would you deal with this?
Says a lot about them. Keep quiet and walk away from them, because bullies want a reaction from you.
I get that sometimes since I grew up in the states but then I usually say just that to shut them up.

If people bully you for that then really are pathetic low lives. Tell them they're being stupid if you're making a big deal out of it it's just a tv show
Babe.
Chin up.
Many families don't take pictures together etc. That simple fact means that you grew up quite normally.

But first off, what defines a 'normal childhood'?

Who laid out the parameters of a 'normal childhood'?
No one.

Don't let anyone put you down because you weren't grown like them.

Growing differently is a plus ... at least you didn't turn out to be one of the bullies.

Best advice: Ignore them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm exactly the same, my parents never took any interest in family holidays (we only use to visit our home country to visit their parents), TV shows, music etc. If someone was to mention a song from the late 90's and early 2000's I wouldn't know the song at all unless it was a regular on TV.

It's quite stupid that people are begrudging you for that, nobody really cares that I don't know what something is, I didn't get into music until year 10.

Just learn to ignore them, it's the only advice I can give.
I go to a girls school, head up and shoulders back!

All bullies like a reaction , i am a dab-hand at this now, roll on university it is their issue not yours. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest