The Student Room Group

Bristol or QMUL

I need to decide between Bristol and Queen Mary's university London.Which is better for Law? That is, in terms of reputation,career prospects and student life.
Reply 1
Original post by Championt1
I need to decide between Bristol and Queen Mary's university London.Which is better for Law? That is, in terms of reputation,career prospects and student life.

Both universities have fantastic law courses, but I would say Bristol shades Queen Mary's for reputation and career prospects.

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf - please don't read too much into this, but here is some data collated by Chambers Student on which universities trainees are coming from. As you can see (we do not know the exact numbers), Bristol is one of the largest providers of graduates.

It must be stated however that A-level students love to over-exaggerate the importance a university's reputation is when it comes to employment. Be under no illusion that a stellar candidate from QMUL will, almost always, trump your bog-standard one from Bristol (or wherever else for that matter).

I didn't attend either institution so I can't comment comprehensively re: the student life. However, having visited friends at both, you won't go far wrong with either. Both are situated in large cities and therefore will have a plethora of opportunities open to you.

I would go with wherever you felt a greater affinity to when visiting on an open day. Don't let a nebulous concept such as 'prestige' cloud your judgement - both universities will stand you in good stead for future prospects, so pick where you think you will enjoy it the most; enjoyment almost always leads to better results.
Reply 2
Original post by LawLad13
Both universities have fantastic law courses, but I would say Bristol shades Queen Mary's for reputation and career prospects.

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf - please don't read too much into this, but here is some data collated by Chambers Student on which universities trainees are coming from. As you can see (we do not know the exact numbers), Bristol is one of the largest providers of graduates.

It must be stated however that A-level students love to over-exaggerate the importance a university's reputation is when it comes to employment. Be under no illusion that a stellar candidate from QMUL will, almost always, trump your bog-standard one from Bristol (or wherever else for that matter).

I didn't attend either institution so I can't comment comprehensively re: the student life. However, having visited friends at both, you won't go far wrong with either. Both are situated in large cities and therefore will have a plethora of opportunities open to you.

I would go with wherever you felt a greater affinity to when visiting on an open day. Don't let a nebulous concept such as 'prestige' cloud your judgement - both universities will stand you in good stead for future prospects, so pick where you think you will enjoy it the most; enjoyment almost always leads to better results.

Thank you very much for the info.Its very helpful.I think I actually like the feel of Bristol more anyway.Which university did you attend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Championt1
Thank you very much for the info.Its very helpful.I think I actually like the feel of Bristol more anyway.Which university did you attend?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will have a fantastic time in Bristol; I was mightily impressed with their Law School. I went to University of Sheffield.

Quick Reply