The Student Room Group

Depression and anxiety

I've recently been diagnosed with depression and anxiety, im currently signed off work at the moment but I am desperate to get back to work as im bored and earning no money, but every time i think about it, I really start to panic, im not sure why and its stopped me from going to many interviews which one was my dream job, im fed up of it controlling my life! Also, my doctor and my parents are telling me im not ready.
Anyone got any ideas to keep me busy while im off as im going crazy staying at home?

Also I am currently on mirtazpine which worked at first but now have stopped working, ive tried couselling which made me worse and this is my second lot of antidepressants, anyone had good experiences of any type of ADs? and anyone got any ideas which could help me?

Thanks for listening to my rant and any advice would be grateful! Feel like im running out of options.
What kind of job do you want to do? Think about the skills required, do you have it? Why not practise interview skills?

(From your previous posts it seems like you excel in a job that involves communicating with strangers a lot)
(edited 9 years ago)
I think I've heard that Mirtazipine is a bit duff. Its ok to ask to try another if its not working. A new AD combined with therapy if you are not already receiving it would be a good shout. I hope you have been offered some sort of psychological treatment like therapy alongside AD's as I think that is the guideline for treatment of depression or anxiety.

Do you feel ready to try working again? Don't let doctors tell you what you are ready or not ready to do. If you are definately not up for it yet then focus on your treatment for now. If you think you might want to go for it soon, it could be the confidence boost you need!! However, don't run before you can walk.

Not working is torture if you have been off and idle for long enough. Try to use the time to look into different therapies. Look into things like mindfullness (look it up) and if you have never tried it before, go for regular massages at a proper salon! I also advocate things like yoga. Anything relaxing. Whatever, you do don't use your time beating yourself up about things and berating yourself for not working because you think you should.

Quick Reply

Latest