The Student Room Group

STEP - When is it taken?

Hi all,

I'm currently in my AS year. Studying triple maths, modules:

C1,C2,C3,S1,M1,M2,FP1,D1,D2

The third AS level in maths is self studied and consists of D1,D2,M2.

I intend to apply to study maths at Cambridge next year, and STEP is a requirement to study maths there. What I'm curious about is when it is usually sat, which papers are sat in STEP and if I should be looking at doing the first STEP paper this academic year?

In terms of applying to study maths, would taking STEP 1 this year be advantageous? Ie. would it look good and represent my desire to study maths?

Also, if I was to consider preparing for STEP this year. Should I adjust my third self studying modules to better prepare myself for the exam? And if so, how should I adjust them?

Regards,
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JakeThomasLee
Hi all,

I intend to apply to study maths at Cambridge next year, and STEP is a requirement to study maths there. What I'm curious about is when it is usually sat, which papers are sat in STEP and if I should be looking at doing the first STEP paper this academic year?

In terms of applying to study maths, would taking STEP 1 this year be advantageous? Ie. would it look good and represent my desire to study maths?

Also, if I was to consider preparing for STEP this year. Should I adjust my third self studying modules to better prepare myself for the exam? And if so, how should I adjust them?

Regards,
Jake

STEP is taken at the end of Year 13 in June. Cambridge's standard STEP offer is 1,1 in STEP II and STEP III.

It certainly looks good to have a good grade in STEP I before applying, the problem is that doing so is hard and sometimes impractical. STEP I & II require C1-4 and M1-2/S1-2. (Note: People don't normally have all of the applied modules; but everyone has C1-4). Secondly, the most important factor in getting a place that is currently within your control is getting high UMS marks. If taking STEP would effect that in any way whatsoever, then it isn't worth it. Also you really would have to learn your Maths content as fast as possible so you could start attempting the majority of STEP questions.

D1 & D2 are useless for STEP, so if you were going to take STEP I, I would replace D2 with C4 and maybe keep D1 if replacing it with anything else would make your life difficult.

Note that I'm not the right person to answer whether it is right for you in particular to do STEP I in Year 12, but I hope that this information will help. Besides, there are other users on this forum far more experienced than me who can give you better advice.
You shouldn't take STEP 1 this year. You need at a minimum C1-4 before it becomes possible(more modules is better).

For STEP:
There are three papers, all sat in June. STEP 2 and 3 are usually 1, 1 in Cambridge offers.
STEP 1 isn't usually included, but you can use it as a fallback if your others don't go so well(they will still have to be very good).
The papers are taken in June, alongside A-level exams.

STEP 1 has C1-4, S1-2, M1-2.
STEP 2, 3 can ask you a much broader range of questions.(C1-4, FP1-4, M1-5, S1-4)

Each paper has 14 questions(8 pure, 3 mechanics, 3 statistics) and you choose 6 questions to answer. Each paper lasts 3 hours.

The same question came up a few days ago, it might help:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3024033
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi all,

Regards,
Jake

Original post by morgan8002
You shouldn't take STEP 1 this year. You need at a minimum C1-4 before it becomes possible(more modules is better).

For STEP:
There are three papers, all sat in June. STEP 2 and 3 are usually 1, 1 in Cambridge offers.
STEP 1 isn't usually included, but you can use it as a fallback if your others don't go so well(they will still have to be very good).
The papers are taken in June, alongside A-level exams.

STEP 1 has C1-4, S1-2, M1-2.
STEP 2, 3 can ask you a much broader range of questions.(C1-4, FP1-4, M1-5, S1-4)

Each paper has 14 questions(8 pure, 3 mechanics, 3 statistics) and you choose 6 questions to answer. Each paper lasts 3 hours.

The same question came up a few days ago, it might help:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3024033

STEP II has the same specification as STEP I, i.e. essentially C1 - 4 (plus extra bits such as induction), M1 - 2 and S1 - 2. It is only STEP III that requires FM modules.

It is STEP not TTEP (Sixth Term not Third).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending