The Student Room Group

A levels or IB !!!!!help!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by syl31
Hahha the result is average:biggrin:
L&L mean language and literature, and u leanrn both language in media, language in cultural context etc..meanwhile u learn less on literature
U get to choose between language&literature OR Literature
Literature on the other hand requires a lot of readings and more analysis

Ohhhhk that's cool but well done!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by syl31
Geography is HARD
But really highly depends on u. Some of ny frds think it is easy
We learn human geography..such as finanacial flow, poverty, globalisation etc
U hav to remember a lot of case studies before u go for exam, for example how does a water bond disease spread, or about the relief done after a Natural disaster
TORTURE FOR ME

Original post by Calllu-m
Geography IB was the easiest ****ing thing in the world. You could literally make up your case studies, I got a 6 off the back of making them up

So would you guys say that it would be a good idea to do the ib if I know what I want to do at university already( medicine )? Or would it be best to just do a few subjects based on maths and science?

Are the extra subjects worth studying?:smile:

How much harder is the ib than a levels?:erm:

What kind of person would find the ib workload okay? e.g self-motivted people :yes:

Some people tell me that it's hard and some people tell me that it requires a lot of work but is not as hard as people say it is. I'm not sure because these opinions could be due to bias :dontknow::dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally I'm a EU student and as such I'm not doing A Levels. I've heard many weird things about universities and how they approach international qualifications. Like the best university in my city (300-something in the world ranking) demands more points from IB than Oxford :biggrin: Because they simply don't get enough candidates with IB to care.
Reply 23
Original post by Viridiana
Personally I'm a EU student and as such I'm not doing A Levels. I've heard many weird things about universities and how they approach international qualifications. Like the best university in my city (300-something in the world ranking) demands more points from IB than Oxford :biggrin: Because they simply don't get enough candidates with IB to care.

Oh okay thanks :yes:
So does this make the ib harder?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diana99
Oh okay thanks :yes:
So does this make the ib harder?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you will be more fairly judged by UK unis if you have A levels.

Can't you do both at the same time? I'm doing two countries' qualifications atm.
Choose A Levels. UK universities give us IB students a hard time with offers. You have to work much harder for a 36 than say, an A/B in A level. You'll also have to write up a university-level essay (extended essay), do a kind of philosophy course (TOK) and also CAS hours. Its much more stressful and you can end up at the same university with A levels. It does have its perks as it's a very broad and very enriching experience. This is coming from a former IB student who got 44 points. Its tough and sometimes not worth that effort as unis don't even appreciate the level of work we have to do in comparison to A level students.
Reply 26
Original post by Viridiana
I think you will be more fairly judged by UK unis if you have A levels.

Can't you do both at the same time? I'm doing two countries' qualifications atm.

Okay cool:yy:
And no I don't think so . You have to stick to only one but you can so more that 4 a levels if u were capable :yep::yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by EconObsessed
Choose A Levels. UK universities give us IB students a hard time with offers. You have to work much harder for a 36 than say, an A/B in A level. You'll also have to write up a university-level essay (extended essay), do a kind of philosophy course (TOK) and also CAS hours. Its much more stressful and you can end up at the same university with A levels. It does have its perks as it's a very broad and very enriching experience. This is coming from a former IB student who got 44 points. Its tough and sometimes not worth that effort as unis don't even appreciate the level of work we have to do in comparison to A level students.

Okay okay thank you so much :yep::yep::yep::yep::biggrin::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Yep, i would say IB will give u a really heavy workload (at least for me:tongue:), but when it comes to the exam, i think it is not hard to get high marks.:smile:
Reply 29
Original post by syl31
Yep, i would say IB will give u a really heavy workload (at least for me:tongue:), but when it comes to the exam, i think it is not hard to get high marks.:smile:

Okay thank you so much! !:biggrin::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending