The Student Room Group

A* student tips!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Was under the impression that my GCSE results were half decent
Then I looked at this thread.
In the holidays, I did 4-5 hours each day (and my grades ended up being 10 A*s, an A and 2 Bs). Just make sure you don't do what I did, and not take a break in those 5 hours.
Original post by diana99
I would really like to get a*'s at gcse!
Any tips??
I have mock exam at the start of next year.

What did you get for gcse?
How did you revise?
When did you start revising?
How long per day did you study for?
Did you have a revision timetable?

Any things I should be aware of?
What should I not do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I got 7A* and 3A's but one of the A's was one mark of an A* (still hold a grudge against that haha)

Erm revision consisted of writing notes out. I wrote everything... varying from a few days before an exam to a week.
Then the night before I read my notes or highlighted then. For some subjects past papers!!!

For less important subjects (personally) like maths and English I just read through class notes/past papers on the day or the day before. Those exams were easy :L.

Studied for about 2-4 hours a day. My revision timetable consisted of the order of my exams.

Don't panic. Use common sense. Learn the important things! Eg) formulas! And good luck.

Exams are easy if you understand the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by Manexopi
No no that makes sense and it's perfectly normal. If it makes you more confident about your exams then definitely do it but make sure you don't burn yourself out!

It terms of it helping with your performance I would maybe alternate between practice questions and revision as past papers are a good way to see what needs revisiting and will adequately prepare you for subjects like science and history (questions are repeated a lot)

Just trust your instincts and go with what method you feel will benefit you most as everyone's different (:

Thank you so much!!!:yes::yes::yes::mmm::yep::yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Chronokeeper
In the holidays, I did 4-5 hours each day (and my grades ended up being 10 A*s, an A and 2 Bs). Just make sure you don't do what I did, and not take a break in those 5 hours.

Sorry I didn't catch that, should I take a break during a 4-5 hr revision session or nah? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by FreshGarbage
Hey I got 7A* and 3A's but one of the A's was one mark of an A* (still hold a grudge against that haha)

Erm revision consisted of writing notes out. I wrote everything... varying from a few days before an exam to a week.
Then the night before I read my notes or highlighted then. For some subjects past papers!!!

For less important subjects (personally) like maths and English I just read through class notes/past papers on the day or the day before. Those exams were easy :L.

Studied for about 2-4 hours a day. My revision timetable consisted of the order of my exams.

Don't panic. Use common sense. Learn the important things! Eg) formulas! And good luck.

Exams are easy if you understand the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done!
And thanks for the advice :smile::smile::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing GCSEs this year as well (doing them all a year early!), I go to a state funded school, called Colyton (ranked number 1 in the UK), http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25849548
We have been told to start revising since the start of the holidays, (19/12/14), but I'm starting on the 27th so I have a nicer Christmas.
We are expected to revise 2.5 hours on weekdays (1 hour each subject), 3 hours on Sat/Sun for Mocks starting on 26th
I don't have a revision timetable but will revise weaker subject first, we have a table to make tallies of how long we've revised for each subject in total.
According to older students really do revise for mocks so you know what your genuine weaker areas are.
Sorry for the really boring long post, will be amazed if anyone bothered to read through the entire thing!
Reply 27
i wrote notes for the sciences, and during my cram periods i just quickly made notes for my other subjects. in terms of maths, thats a unique one.

your foundation for maths is your key to an A*, you need to understand what you are doing, know the methods know the reasons and know the proofs. you need to keep doing questions again and again. get a book and do all the questions in it, and keep re-doing the book until every single formula, proof and theorem are ingrained into your head. then you will get an A*. you will probably get 100% :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by kelefi
i wrote notes for the sciences, and during my cram periods i just quickly made notes for my other subjects. in terms of maths, thats a unique one.

your foundation for maths is your key to an A*, you need to understand what you are doing, know the methods know the reasons and know the proofs. you need to keep doing questions again and again. get a book and do all the questions in it, and keep re-doing the book until every single formula, proof and theorem are ingrained into your head. then you will get an A*. you will probably get 100% :smile:

Thank you !!:yy::yep::yep::smile::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
happy to help :smile:

i did AQA for science and EDEXCEL for maths, feel free to message me if you need any help :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by kelefi
yep, thats what i did for science and it worked a dream :smile: i got above 95% on all my science exams, it really works! if you need anything explained feel free to pm me :smile:

Thanks!! And okay sure:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by diana99
Well done!
And thanks for the advice :smile::smile::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure why but I find R.e revision quite difficult. Whereas science and maths are really easy for me. I revise differently for each subjects. I'm not sure how to revise for R.e and I tend to just memorise things which leads to me forgetting it. How would u revise for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diana99
I'm not sure why but I find R.e revision quite difficult. Whereas science and maths are really easy for me. I revise differently for each subjects. I'm not sure how to revise for R.e and I tend to just memorise things which leads to me forgetting it. How would u revise for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Re exam board?
Reply 33
Original post by vd12345
Re exam board?

Edexcel

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moordland
weren't joking unless you can afford private tutors on the hourly and are chinese.

I got 12A*s and 2As and I went to a state school... I'm not saying this is the case for everyone but generally hard work > the school you go to.
11 A stars.

5 hours outside of college.

Sneaky 2 hour session of Call of Duty 4 :biggrin:

Err tips.

Go to a private school, start hardcore in the christmas holidays, prioritise your weaker subjects, work your ass off in languages and triple science.

lol private school.... I didn't go to private school - nor did my friend and we came out with A* across the board. OP, best thing to do in concentrate on your weaker subjects :smile: the ones you find easy require less prep time. Look at past papers - youlll learn patterns of how to answer, and what came up when :smile: good luc
Original post by subjunctivehistorian
I got 12A*s and 2As and I went to a state school... I'm not saying this is the case for everyone but generally hard work > the school you go to.

Original post by Future African game vet
lol private school.... I didn't go to private school - nor did my friend and we came out with A* across the board. OP, best thing to do in concentrate on your weaker subjects :smile: the ones you find easy require less prep time. Look at past papers - youlll learn patterns of how to answer, and what came up when :smile: good luc

You guys either went to top grammar/state schools, i.e. King Edwards, Hills Road, Colchester grammar etc. and had an array of private tutors.

Also I did languages, triple science, stats etc. and igcses too therefore I received a more rigorous education and hence I am better. And I did it without having help like tutors etc. in real subjects.

Good luck OP.

Subjunctivehistorian and thefutureafricanvet cu @ cambridge :yep:
You guys either went to top grammar/state schools, i.e. King Edwards, Hills Road, Colchester grammar etc. and had an array of private tutors.

Also I did languages, triple science, stats etc. and igcses too therefore I received a more rigorous education and hence I am better. And I did it without having help like tutors etc. in real subjects.

Good luck OP.

nah mate, I went to a large state school which does pretty averagely in results, last year about 60% got 5A* - C in their GCSEs. The year group had around 300 people and average class size was 35. I am from a low income family, had no private tutors, just sheer hard work is what got me my results. plus some inspirational teachers who encouraged me to achieve my potential.
That said, I know lots of people at private schools who got amazing results simply because of the school they were at. If they'd been at a state school their results probably would have been a few grades lower, so I do take your point. :smile:

Yeah I'm anxiously awaiting my letter!! :biggrin: are you applying? What subject? :biggrin: :biggrin:

Good luck OP.

nope, i went to plain old Archbishop Temple school Preston. No Grammar school, no tutors nothing- just worked hard. You know people are capable of achieving good grades without going to private school/ tutors and being spoon fed right? Its called intelligence and having the will to work.

Besides.... state school kids have a more realistic view on the world and consequently seem to do better at uni than coddled Private school kids who go nuts and drink themselves into oblivion/ expect people to run around after them!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by subjunctivehistorian
nah mate, I went to a large state school which does pretty averagely in results, last year about 60% got 5A* - C in their GCSEs. The year group had around 300 people and average class size was 35. I am from a low income family, had no private tutors, just sheer hard work is what got me my results. plus some inspirational teachers who encouraged me to achieve my potential.
That said, I know lots of people at private schools who got amazing results simply because of the school they were at. If they'd been at a state school their results probably would have been a few grades lower, so I do take your point. :smile:

Yeah I'm anxiously awaiting my letter!! :biggrin: are you applying? What subject? :biggrin: :biggrin:

Wow impressive, well done. I scorn state schools generally. You must be really talented.

Inspirational teachers at state schools, mostly I hear of how bad state schools are.

That wouldn't be the case for me though, since as I said I did igcses which are a lot harder. Well done though.

Awesome!

I applied to Maudlyn/Magdalene to read Physics.

Good luck to you.

Carpe' diem. I'm sure you will get an offer :smile:

Original post by Future African game vet
nope, i went to plain old Archbishop Temple school Preston. No Grammar school, no tutors nothing- just worked hard. You know people are capable of achieving good grades without going to private school/ tutors and being spoon fed right? Its called intelligence and having the will to work.

Besides.... state school kids have a more realistic view on the world and consequently seem to do better at uni than coddled Private school kids who go nuts and drink themselves into oblivion/ expect people to run around after them!

Wow well played. Are you applying to Cambridge?

Possibly, were your teachers Oxbridge alums?;

I doubt state school students are generally weaker. Not saying that you are, you are obviously extremely intelligent. But private beats state every single day. I don't drink myself to oblivion.

Quick Reply

Latest