The Student Room Group

Have you followed the same team your whole life?

It's not uncommon for people, when they are younger, to flit in and out of having a 'favourite' team - but as you get older you tend to end up as a fan of one particular team, and stay so.

If we were to compare following a team with being in a relationship, have you ever 'fallen out of love' with a team?
Have you ever stopped being as interested in watching them play, or not made as much effort to go and see them, just generally growing disinterested with it all.

I'm having a slight crisis of conscience here, and it's all a bit strange.

A few years ago, I moved across the country, and I still maintained that I supported my team, yet due to making friends in my new hometown, I was invited along to matches with them, which I enjoyed for the football aspect - I maintained it was nothing more.
But over time I've been checking these results first, making plans to go and watch them play, even if it's on my own.

It's a taboo subject, given that you can change your wife, your politics and even your religion, but you can't change your football team, but am I alone?

Scroll to see replies

Firstly, I don't think flitting in between teams when younger is as common as you say it is.

Secondly, I don't know why you need to change your football team. Why can't you support two teams? If I moved to another part of the country I would probably end up doing as you have done and go to some matches of my new local team and I'd support them but that doesn't mean I would stop supporting West Brom.
Reply 2
Yes I have always been an Arsenal fan since I started watching football properly
Reply 3
Not exactly, when I was like 5 or 6 I supported Arsenal because my friend did. Much to the annoyance of my family who are Spurs fans up til the great grandparents... But then what 6 year old knows about football lol I didn't watch it or anything, just said I supported them

At about 8 I "converted" to Spurs.

A little while ago I started supporting Aberdeen but different league so
Reply 4
RG.
OP
Original post by TheMagicRat
Firstly, I don't think flitting in between teams when younger is as common as you say it is.

Secondly, I don't know why you need to change your football team. Why can't you support two teams? If I moved to another part of the country I would probably end up doing as you have done and go to some matches of my new local team and I'd support them but that doesn't mean I would stop supporting West Brom.

Maybe it isn't, but when I was younger a lot of the kids were Man U fans one minute, Liverpool the next, maybe that isn't all too common.

It's not a need to change, it's guilt that it's happening.

Being from Glasgow, and supporting Rangers has had some excellent times, and even during the 2012-13 season in the third division it was great, but there's absolutely nothing in the football for me anymore.
It's soul destroying to only hear about the business side of a club, and when the football is awful and the players don't look like they care, it takes all the fun out of it.

I just want to watch football, and if I'm honest, it's not so much about another team as it is guilt that the club I have supported for years brings me no joy anymore.

Then again, maybe I'm taking this too seriously :colondollar:
Reply 5
Original post by AdamCee
Not exactly, when I was like 5 or 6 I supported Arsenal because my friend did. Much to the annoyance of my family who are Spurs fans up til the great grandparents... But then what 6 year old knows about football lol I didn't watch it or anything, just said I supported them

At about 8 I "converted" to Spurs.

A little while ago I started supporting Aberdeen but different league so

That is blasphemy!!! Arsenal to Spurs. Why did you choose such a bad team?
yeah my uncle paid me £1 to support Liverpool at my 7th birthday party (bowling) and I've been a half-assed Red ever since
Reply 7
Original post by al_94
That is blasphemy!!! Arsenal to Spurs. Why did you choose such a bad team?

Pressure from the family :tongue:
Yeah I've support Chelsea all my life, it's funny, I really liked the colour blue a lot which was obviously our home kit & I was also very fond of a certain Gianfranco Zola while growing up, so that's basically how I came to support them :tongue:
Reply 9
I didn't support a football team as a kid. It just wasn't that popular at the time in my home country.

When I moved here everyone asked me which football team I supported, and got confused looks when I said none :lol: So I provisionally started supporting Manchester United, which was the most popular team at school, while I started taking an interest in football to see which team I wanted to support. Finally chose Newcastle United, who were playing decent football back in 2002-2003. I also supported Rangers, due to my Grandfather, as well as my local football team.

I must admit that my interest in football has been waning in recent years. Two of my good mates support Arsenal, so I've taken a liking to them. Still follow Newcy and Rangers, albeit not religiously. If anything at the moment I'm more interesting in my local League 2 football team than anyone else.
Basically knew I was an Arsenal fan before I liked football properly. Grew up very close to Highbury, brother/dad both proper gooners and literally 90% of kids at my primary school were Arsenal fans, just the way it was. You just were.
(edited 9 years ago)
no, I change teams depending on how well they're doing.
Most people would tend to either support their local team or support their family team. For me it was the latter. My parents use to live in Manchester, thus dad supports United, thus he brought me up to support them, and that's it really. Bought me my first shirt when I was 7, had bedroom kitted out when I was 10, first game when I was 14 and that was it. I never really had any sort of connection with my local teams when I was younger, although I've developed sympathy for one them as I've got older as a sort of "second team". They are not in the Prem which makes it a bit easier.

Increasingly people can and do change team, I know a number of examples, however. Often its for location, for example I have an auntie from Birmingham, moved to London for work, switched from Birmingham City to Arsenal. Her justification was threefold: the change of location, hated the Birmingham City owners, and loved Wenger and was writing a book on him. Another reason I've heard people giving on phone ins for changing team is cost, people saying that X premier league club is too expensive, so I'll support a nearer league 2 team.

I mean, you'll get all sorts of snobbish views about what is and isn't acceptable, but ultimately football is entertainment, it's something we do in our spare time when not working/studying, so I just take the view of support who you want.

I suppose the final point I'd make is that, if you change team every five minutes, you are never going to get the absolute most out of the highs, because you won't have experienced the lows. The highs feel so so sweet, because you've also had the lows. That's what I realise now after last season. :colondollar:
Yes.Been following Real Madrid for a long time!
Started supporting Everton an year ago!
I supported Manchester United before I was even born. I've never thought about supporting another club; I actually want all other Premiership clubs to crumble.
Reply 15
Yes. Or at least as long as I've been interested in football, which is since I was around 6/7.
Reply 16
Yes, Liverpool till I die
I was a Liverpool fan for about two years because I'd never been to any live football and they were my stepdad's team. I always watched football on telly with him and Liverpool were on Thursday night on Channel 5 fairly often in those years. Then he took me to Brentford and since I've solely supported them with occasional soft spots for other teams. I have a season ticket at FC United of Manchester because getting down to London for home games isn't viable.
I have Arsenal in my blood.
Original post by Multitalented me
Yeah I've support Chelsea all my life, it's funny, I really liked the colour blue a lot which was obviously our home kit & I was also very fond of a certain Gianfranco Zola while growing up, so that's basically how I came to support them :tongue:

Me too - I've supported Chelsea my whole life, partly because I loved the blue kit and also because my dad has supported them for over 45 years and took me to my first games. I know there's this stereotype of plastic Chelsea fans but to be honest I have NEVER in my life met a plastic fan! (This may be because my seat's in the Matthew Harding stand so we're all the regular ones, but even so!)

Quick Reply

Latest